1 Comment
Peruvian Family Visa

Peruvian Family Visa

A Guide to Peruvian Visas

Part 7

Some family members of Peruvian nationals and foreigners with a resident status in Peru have the right to a family union and can apply for a family visa, the so-called "familiar residente visa". Depending on your relation there are several sub-visa types.

Relatives that can apply for a family visa are:

  • Spouses of Peruvian nationals (para el caso de casado/a peruana/o)
  • Spouses of foreigners with resident status (para el caso de casado/a con extranjera/o residente en el país)
  • Underaged children of Peruvians or foreigners with resident status (para el caso de hijos menores de edad de peruano/a o extranjero/a residente)
  • Unmarried children (18 years to 28 years and dependent on their parents) of Peruvians or foreigners with resident status (para el caso de hijo/a mayor de 18 y menor de 28 años)
  • Adult children with disabilities (para el caso de hijos mayores de 18 años con discapacidad)
  • Parents of Peruvians or foreigners with resident status that don’t have a Peruvian nationality (para el caso de padres de peruano/a o extranjero/a residente) (*)

(*) Children born on Peruvian territory to not only Peruvian but as well foreign parents are considered Peruvians. They have the right to a Peruvian birth certificate, Peruvian DNI and a Peruvian passport. While for years foreign parents couldn't get a resident family visa through their underaged Peruvian-born child, this has changed with the introduction of the 2017 immigration law and a different interpretation of the corresponding passage. Before the parents can apply for a resident family visa the child has to be registered at Reniec and a Peruvian birth certificate and Peruvian DNI has to be issued.

Officially, you can apply for the family visa at a Peruvian consulate abroad or at Migraciones in Peru. However, some diplomatic missions, especially in countries where nationals can enter Peru as a tourist without having to apply for a tourist visa at a consulate first, either don’t or prefer not to issue resident visas or processing times can be long as Migraciones in Peru has to approve the application. And even if you already get your family visa abroad once in Peru you still have to deal with Migraciones, even though to a lesser extent, to get your carné.

So, most family members of a Peruvian national or foreigner with resident status in Peru enter the country as a tourist and then change their immigration status - make a so called Cambio de calidad migratoria (as opposed to a Solicitud de calidad migratoria at a consulate) - at Migraciones.

After your application for a family visa is approved, you receive the so-called "Carné de Extranjería". Please be aware that your resident visa is only valid for one or sometimes two years and then has to be extended.

Requirements for a Peruvian family visa

In mid-July 2021 the new TUPA (Texto Unico de Procedimientos Administrativos; Single Text of Administrative Procedures) went into effect which is mainly based on the Peruvian Supreme Decree DS N° 002-2021-IN. This new legislation changes a few immigration processes, procedures, and requirements for some Migraciones paperwork.

So below, find the requirements according to the July 2021 TUPA. As the document is quite confusing, we recommend that those who prefer to read the original requirements either check out the official website of Peru or the corresponding text passage of the Supreme Decree DS N° 002-2021-IN on page 43 in article 89-A “Procedimiento administrative de solicitud de calidad migratoria de familiar residente” (when applying at a Peruvian consulate) or in article 89-B “Procedimiento administrative de cambio de calidad migratoria por la de familiar residente” on page 44 (when applying in Peru). However, please be aware that Migraciones has the right to request other and / or additional documents at any time.

Anyway, as soon as you arrive in Peru, you should get organized and start the whole process. Please note that you have to be in the country on a valid visa (for example a tourist visa or "authorization to enter as a tourist") when applying for the visa in Peru.

Here now the requirements and a walk-trough of the application process in Peru.

Required documents to apply for a family visa include, but may not be restricted to:

  • Interpol clearance - Ficha de canje internacional (see below)
  • Receipt for paid application fee (code Migraciones 07568; S/.162.50 in 2021)
  • Passport (you will have to upload the page with your personal data and the one with the entry stamp as PDF)
  • Up-to-date DNI of the Peruvian family member with correct family address, correct marital status and no pending election fees or up-to-date carné de extranjería of the foreigner with resident status (you will have to upload a copy of the front and back of the DNI or carné as PDF)
  • Police clearance certificate, criminal record and judicial matters check issued in the country of origin and, if the applicant lived in another country before coming to Peru, in the country of residence covering the last 5 years (*)
  • Official document that proves the family tie: i.e. marriage certificate (**) if the applicant is married to a Peruvian or foreigner with resident status; birth certificate (***) if the applicant is the child or parent of a Peruvian, but not Peruvian himself or of a foreigner with resident status
  • For unmarried adult children: official certificate of being single (***) or sworn statement in which the applicant declares being unmarried in front of a Peruvian notary 
  • For children with disabilities: document proving a condition of permanent disability and the need for parent’s care (***)
  • Sworn statement of the Peruvian family member or foreigner with resident status where he / she declares that the relation is still intact and that Peru is the mutual country of residence (****)

Explanatory notes for the requirements:

(*) This is a new requirement. For the past years a sworn statement stating that you have a clean criminal record and no previous convictions was enough to satisfy Migraciones. However, the new Tupa and Supreme Decree now state that a police clearance certificate, criminal record and judicial matters check issued in the country of origin and, if the applicant lived in another country before coming to Peru, in the country of residence covering the last 5 years is required. Honestly at this moment, we don’t know if Migraciones will enforce this tighter requirement, especially as some countries don’t differentiate between the in Peru common “Antecedentes Policiales, Penales y Judiciales”. Therefore, we highly recommend checking with a Peruvian consulate before you leave for Peru.

(**) marriage certificate
  • If you were married in Peru: recent copy of marriage certificate issued by Reniec (not older than 90 days)
  • If you were married abroad to a Peruvian: certified copy of marriage certificate issued by the Peruvian consulate (not older than183 days) - already in Peru without a recent copy? At the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores (RREE) in Lima you can get certified copies of birth, marriage and death certificates registered in a Peruvian consulate abroad.
  • If you were married to a foreigner abroad: marriage certificate with Apostille or legalized by a Peruvian consulate abroad and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Peru (not older than 6 months). Once in Peru the document has to be translated into Spanish by an official translator in case the certificate isn’t solely in Spanish.
(***) birth certificate and any other document necessary
  • All foreign documents (even so-called “international” certificates) need an Apostille or have to be legalized by a Peruvian consulate abroad and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Peru. Once in Peru all documents, apostilled or legalized, have to be translated into Spanish by an official translator in case the certificates aren’t solely in Spanish!
(****) Sworn statement / Declaracion jurada para residencia de familiar
  • Even though no longer on the list of the requirements for applying for a Peruvian family visa, this sworn statement issued by a Peruvian notary is still often asked for when applying for your visa. Please check current regulations at Migraciones.

Applying for a Family visa is a simple and straightforward process, but might be a little confusing here and there if you are not familiar with the process and the steps involved. Please see our walk-through below as general guidance which should offer enough information that you don't need to hire a lawyer or so-called tramitador, but can start and finish this little endeavor on your own. However, be aware that requirements and processes change quickly and at least basic Spanish skills are required to fill in forms and understand instructions.

Getting started …

Hopefully you brought necessary documents from abroad, such as - if applicable - marriage or birth certifcate, etc., already apostilled or legalized - see requirements and (**) / (***) above. Once in Peru these have to be translated by an official translator (and if you only have a legalization on the document, the translation has to be legalized again by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Lima). You can find a list of these state-approved translators either on the website of your Embassy in Peru or here. If necessary get the sworn statement issued by a Peruvian notary. 

Make PDFs from your passport (page with your personal data and the one with the entry stamp), from a passport photo and your signature as well as from all other documents.

And the last step before you can finally apply for your family visa is getting the so-called “Ficha de Canje Internacional” from Interpol in Peru. Find a detailed description on how it’s done in our article “Interpol - Ficha de Canje Internacional

Applying for a family visa in Peru

Once you have the Ficha and all documents together, pay the fee of S/ 162.50 (2021) for the Migraciones administrative procedure “Cambio de Calidad Migratoria” under code 07568 at any Banco de la Nacion branch / ATM or on pagalo.pe. As you already paid the Interpol fee, you know how the systems works, otherwise check again in our article "Paying administration charges and processing fees in Peru".

!!!Please note!!! Since the introduction of the new immigration law, not only did some procedures and requirements change but also lots of codes needed to pay Migraciones fees. Until now, pagalo.pe isn't updated, and it's not possible - hopefully only for now - to pay online. So unfortunately, you have to pay all Migraciones related fees at the counter of a Banco de la Nacion branch.

Then it's time to apply for your family visa - if you need to leave the country during the application process, you have to apply for a special travel permit before you leave the country, otherwise your application is null and void.

!!! Please note: At the moment below described application process only works for spouses of Peruvian nationals (para el caso de casado/a peruana/o), spouses of foreigners with resident status (para el caso de casado/a con extranjera/o residente en el país) and adult children with disabilities (para el caso de hijos mayores de 18 años con discapacidad). For all other family visas please contact Migraciones through the Agencia Digital (either use the chat / phone function or make an appointment under Citas en linea, Informes) for information about the application process.

Open the Migraciones Agencia Digital. Choose "Extranjero" and enter the data requested. Enter your personal data exactly as in your passport.

On the next page you find on the left under “Cambio de Calidad Migratoria” the points “Familiar Residente: Casado con peruano(a) o extranjero(a) residente” or Familiar Residente: hijos(as) adultos con dispacidad”. Choose the one that applies.

Then just follow the steps as indicated; nothing you can do wrong. Always check that all personal data you entered (or was automatically filled in) is 100% correct and as in your passport. If you apply for the first time your signature and passport photo might not be in the system yet. So, you have to download the App "Enrolamiento Móvil Migraciones" (available for Android and iOS), then scan the code that appears on the Agencia Digital and upload your photo and signature – there are rumors that this feature might be included soon into the Agencia Digital.

During the process - under “Pago por derecho de tramite” - you are asked to enter certain information of the bank receipt (click on the little arrow and the fields appear). If you don't know where to find the requested bank information on your receipt, click on the question mark.

Under “Documento de identificacion adminstrado” (click on the little arrow and the fields appear - here you can as well just check which documents are necessary and then leave the page without finishing the process), you have to upload requested documents as PDF.

At the end of the process - if everything works smoothly - you get the confirmation of your application. Download this document and / or print it and keep it safe! At the end of this document, you find the login data for the “Buzon Electronico” which you should check regularly for notifications from Migraciones (for example approval of your visa or request of uploading missing / other documents).

Getting your Carné (foreigner ID)

Once you get the confirmation that your family visa was approved, pay the fee of S/ 49.90 (2021) for the registration in the foreigner database and issuance of the carné. As described above, at the moment you can only pay at any Banco de la Nacion branch.

Then once again enter the Agencia Digtal to do the online registration under “Inscr. Reg. central extranjeria”. As before, just follow the steps as indicated; check that all information is correct. At the end, you get a confirmation which you should download and / or print and keep safe!

With the confirmation in hand or on your mobile device, the carné is in the process of issuance and you can make an appointment on the Agencia Digital under “Citas en linea” to pick it up. Once again download and / or print the confirmation and keep it safe!

On the day of your appointment arrive at Migraciones 15 – 30 minutes early. Take your passport and confirmation(s) with you. Migraciones personal will point you to the right direction where you are handed you carné.

Congratulations! You made it!

Please note: the family visa is only valid for one (in some cases two) years and then has to be extended. Since March 2017 foreigners with a Carné don't have to pay a foreigner tax anymore which before was due between January and March of each year. Foreigners living in Peru on a family visa have to be in the country at least 183 days per year, otherwise their resident status is canceled. After three years of legal residency in Peru you can either apply for an immigrant visa (no more extensions and for relatives of Peruvians or foreigners with resident status no proof of own income) or if your nationality allows dual citizenship apply for Peruvian citizenship.

We from LimaEasy are not the Peruvian immigration authority Migraciones or a Peruvian consulate. All information is published to our best knowledge and should be seen as general guidance introducing you to Peruvian procedures. All information is subject to change, as regulations, requirements and processes can change quickly without prior notice! Therefore we recommend checking the current regulations with the nearest Peruvian consulate or, if you are already in Peru, with Migraciones!

Say something here...
characters left
or post as a guest
Loading comment... The comment will be refreshed after 00:00.
  • This commment is unpublished.
    Fernando · 19/01/2022
    Hi, my wife and I just went through the process and we can confirm that they are enforcing the police clearance certificate. We obtained this document from the FBI and had to legalize it in a Peruvian consulate in the US. Thereupon in Peru, we had an official translation service translate the document into Spanish and then legalize the document once again in the Ministry of Foreign Relations.
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 19/01/2022
      Hello Fernando,

      thank you so much for your feedback.


Peru Event Calendar

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Latest Content...

Latest Video

Maria Reiche - Memories

Maria Reiche - Memories

Submitted by: Tintin
05 December 2021

Long Reads...

  • Peruvian Archaeology

    The Mystery of the Nazca Lines in Peru

    In the 1920s, when people first flew across southern Peru, they made an astonishing discovery. Stretching below them,…
  • Peruvian Personalities & Founders

    Francisco Pizarro González (1474-1541)

    Francisco Pizarro, a peasant from Spain, was one of the least well-equipped conquerors in history. However, in the name…
  • Peruvian Archaeology

    The colorful Fabrics and Textiles of Peru

    Europe’s first knowledge of Peruvian textiles was acquired following the Spanish invasion of Peru in 1532, when the…
  • Peruvian Legends, Myths & Tales

    The Jeweled Frog and the Condor

    By a quiet pond, at the side of a cloud-topped mountain in Peru, lived a small green frog and his large green family.…
  • Peru Info

    Peruvian Economy

    The Peruvian economy is an emerging, social market economy highly dependent on foreign trade and classified as an upper…