- This commment is unpublished.· 17/04/2023@KatHello Kat,yes correct.You only need to apply for a travel permit if your want to leave Peru during the processing time of your visa application or during the processing time of your visa extension.So, if you have a valid residence visa and a valid carné you can leave whenever you please. Just be aware that you can only be outside Peru for half a year and depending on your visa type you might need to get a confirmation that you paid your taxes / statement that you didn't have any taxable income.GreetingsEva
- This commment is unpublished.· 17/04/2023@Sunflower Thank you! Could you please light it up a bit for me-if I have residency as a worker "trabajador", I need to have a confirmation I'm paying taxes? What kind of doc/from where?
- This commment is unpublished.· 17/04/2023@KatI wrote about it in our Work visa article, chapter "Things you should know living in Peru on a work visa". So, here the relevant passage pasted and copied:"Whenever you, as a resident worker, want to leave the country for short or extended periods of time, for example, to go on holidays or for a business trip abroad, you must present the so-called "Certificado de Rentas y Retenciones" at immigrations before you are allowed to leave. This form is issued by your employer or, if you work independently, by your client(s), who confirm(s) that the income tax corresponding to your earnings was retained according to the Peruvian tax legislation. The physical form, Formulario 1492, is rarely used anymore. Instead, your employer or client has to enter his/her Sunat Virtual and fill in the Formulario Virtual 1692°, then print and sign it and give it to you. The form expires 30 days after it was filed with Sunat; so, you must leave Peru within these 30 days. If you, as a dependent or independent resident worker didn't have any earnings, you must present the so-called “Declaración jurada de haber realizado actividades que no impliquen la generación de rentas de fuente peruana” at immigrations before you are allowed to leave. So, just download Formulario 1495, fill it in, sign it and show it to the immigration officer when leaving Peru."Hope, this explains it.GreetingsEva
Foreigners in Peru who applied for a visa - to be precise who applied for a change of their immigration status (cambio de calidad migratoria) or a change of their visa type (cambio de clase de visa) - as well as those who applied for an extension of their residence visa can only leave the country during the processing time of their application with a special travel permit, the so called Permiso especial de viaje, officially as well known as Autorización de estadía fuera del país.
While for years those that had to or wanted to travel outside Peru during the processing time of their application had to pay the Migraciones office a visit to apply for the permit in person before their travel, in March 2018 the application process was simplified and now can be easily and quickly done online on the Migraciones Agencia Digital.
- Requirements for the travel permit
- How to apply for the travel permit
- Applying for the travel permit at the airport
Requirements for the application of the Travel permit
- Form PA - Autorizaciones y Permisos (automatically filled in during your application)
- Receipt for paid application fee (S/ 29.90 in 2023; code Migraciones 07562; concept Autorizacion por estadia afuera del pais por treinta (30) dias para quienes se encuentren realizando un cambio o tramite de prorroga de calidad migratoria)
- The approval of your visa application or extension of your resident visa is in process when you want to travel (you will need the numero de expediente, fecha de publicacion and verification code).
Be aware that you must apply for the travel permit before (!!!) leaving the country, otherwise your application is null and void. Migraciones recommends applying 48 - 72h before you travel outside the Peru.
How to apply for the travel permit
To apply for the permit, first pay the fee of S/ 29.90 for the Migraciones administrative procedure "Formulario PA-Autoriz./Permisos y control migratorio" under code 07562 with "Concepto": Autorizacion por estadia afuera del pais por treinta (30) dias para quienes se encuentren realizando un cambio o tramite de prorroga de calidad migratoria on pagalo.pe or at any Banco de la Nacion branch.
As you already paid the fees for your visa application or extension, you know how the systems works, otherwise check again in our article "Paying administration charges and processing fees in Peru".
Then open the Migraciones Agencia Virtual. Choose "Extranjero" and enter the data requested. On the next page in the menu on the left you find under "Permisos" the point "Especial de viaje". Click on it.
Then just follow the steps as indicated. Always check that all personal data you entered (or was automatically filled in) is 100% correct.
First enter the type of application, for example, cambio de calidad migratoria, then the file number of your application (consists of 2 letters and 9 numbers), which is on the "Registro de Solicitud de Cambio de Calidad Migratoria" document (the confirmation of your application), which was displayed on your screen at the end of your visa application and you hopefully saved, at the top under the bar code, and the application date (at the bottom of the confirmation).
Next, you have to enter a verification code. This code is as well at the bottom of the "Registro de Solicitud de Cambio de Calidad Migratoria" document.
Then just fill in your e-mail address and the displayed code and click on Siguiente.
On the next page you just have to fill in your departure date. The system then automatically completes the period your permit is valid (departure date + 30 days). Under “Datos del recibo” you are asked to enter certain information of the bank receipt (number of the receipt, verification code and date). If you don't know where to find the requested bank information on your receipt, click on the question mark.
At the end of the process you get a confirmation of your application. Download this document and/or print it; keep it safe.
The travel permit is usually sent to you within 48h. Best print two copies of it. One is given to the immigration officer when you leave the country, the other one when you return.
The Permiso especial de viaje / Autorización de estadía fuera del país is only good for one exit and one re-entry. It is valid for 30 days counted from the departure date you indicated and can’t be extended. If you stay outside the country longer, the application of your visa or visa extension is canceled.
Applying for the travel permit at the airport
If you have problems with the application or forgot to apply in time there seems to be another option to get the travel permit, which one of our readers pointed out to us (see our comment section below from March 8, 2023). At Lima's Jorge Chavez International Airport in Callao it seems that you can as well get the travel permit just before leaving the country.
After checking in and clearing the security check, proceed to the immigration control counters. Just before immigration there is a small glass office where foreigners who overstayed their stay as tourist can pay the fine. But there, according to our reader, you can also get the travel permit. Printed instructions on how it's done are stuck on the wall, so it seems to be a standard procedure.
You are supposed to be able to pay the fee for the travel permit there (or pay online on pagalo.pe, you then must send them the receipt by e-mail) and you need the numero de expediente, fecha de publicacion and verification code. The staff then seems to make the application for you and you should be handed two copies of the travel permit within 10 to 15 minutes.
We highly recommend to only use the airport option in case you have problems applying yourself on the Agencia Digital or if you forgot to apply in time.