Peruvian Family Visa

Peruvian Family Visa

A Guide to Peruvian Visas

Part 6

Some family members of Peruvian nationals and foreigners with a resident status in Peru have the right to a family union and can apply for a family visa, the so-called "familiar residente visa". Depending on your relation, there are several sub-visa types.

Content overview


Family visa types in Peru

Depending on your relation to the Peruvian or foreigner with resident status, there are several family visa sub-types. Relatives who can apply for a family visa are:

  • Spouses of Peruvian nationals (para el caso de casado/a peruana/o)
  • Spouses of foreigners with resident status (para el caso de casado/a con extranjera/o residente en el país)
  • Underaged children of Peruvians or foreigners with resident status (para el caso de hijos menores de edad de peruano/a o extranjero/a residente)
  • Unmarried children (18 years to 28 years and dependent on their parents) of Peruvians or foreigners with resident status (para el caso de hijo/a mayor de edad)
  • Adult children with disabilities (para el caso de hijos mayores de 18 años con discapacidad)
  • Parents of Peruvians or foreigners with a resident status that don’t have a Peruvian nationality (para el caso de padres de peruano/a o extranjero/a residente) (*)

(*) Children born on Peruvian territory to not only Peruvian but as well foreign parents are considered Peruvians. They have the right to a Peruvian birth certificate, Peruvian DNI and a Peruvian passport. While for years foreign parents couldn't get a resident family visa through their underaged Peruvian-born child, this has changed with the introduction of the 2017 immigration law and a different interpretation of the corresponding passage. Before the parents can apply for a resident family visa, the child has to be registered at Reniec and a Peruvian birth certificate and Peruvian DNI has to be issued. Be aware that unfortunately Migraciones seems to be a bit uncooperative since August 2021, and often gives foreign parents trouble when trying to apply or outright deny the application.


Legal background for a family visa application in Peru

Officially, you can apply for a family visa if you are still outside Peru or if you are already in the country, for example, as a tourist.

However, while for decades Peruvian consulates abroad handled residence visa applications from giving information and handing out the right forms to fill in, to accepting the application and, if approved, issuing the residence visa, since August 2021, the Peruvian diplomatic missions abroad only handle tourist and business visa applications and refer foreigners, who want to apply for a residence visa, to Migraciones in Peru.

So, family members of a Peruvian national or foreigner with resident status in Peru, who can enter the country visa-free (so, who don’t have to apply for a “real” tourist visa at a Peruvian consulate), should come to Peru as a tourist and then change their immigration status - make a so called Cambio de calidad migratoria (as opposed to a Solicitud de calidad migratoria if you apply from outside Peru) - at Migraciones.

Those family members who cannot enter Peru visa-free (so, who must apply for a “real” tourist visa at a Peruvian consulate), officially must apply for residency from outside Peru; a complicated, lengthy, and sometimes frustrating process. We explain in detail how it’s done in our article “Peruvian residence visa application from abroad”.

Foreign nationals who can travel to Peru visa-free, enter Peru as a tourist and then apply for their residence visa at Migraciones in Peru. However...

For foreigners planning to stay longer in Peru and to apply for a resident visa, the most important laws and regulations are the Decreto Legislativo 1350 (which only stipulates general rules), the Decreto Supremo 002-2021-IN and the TUPA. Helpful as well is to check out the Peruvian government website. All these documents are, of course, in Spanish.

While below under "Requirements for a family visa application in Peru" you find the necessary documents described in English, the official list of requirements (in Spanish) can be found, for example, in the Decreto Supremo 002-2021-IN on page 44, in article 89-B “Procedimiento administrativo de cambio de calidad migratoria por la de familiar residente” on page 44.


Requirements for a family visa application in Peru

As the family visa has quite a number of sub-visa types, find below the general requirements. Be aware that Migraciones has the right to request other and/or additional documents at any time.

Required documents to apply for a family visa include:

  • Form PA - Cambio de Calidad Migratoria
  • Interpol clearance - Ficha de canje internacional not older than 6 months (see below)
  • Receipt for paid application fee (code Migraciones 07568; concept Cambio de calidad migratoria por la de familiar residente, S/.162.50 in 2022)
  • Passport
  • Antecedentes policiales, penales y judiciales (Police clearance certificate, criminal record and judicial matters check) issued in the country of origin and, if the applicant lived in another country before coming to Peru, in the country of residence covering the last 5 years (exception minors) (*) (***)
  • Up-to-date DNI of the Peruvian family member with correct family address, correct marital status and no pending election fees or up-to-date carné de extranjería of the foreigner with resident status
  • Official document that proves the family tie: i.e. marriage certificate (**) if the applicant is married to a Peruvian or foreigner with resident status; birth certificate (***) if the applicant is the child or parent of a Peruvian, but not Peruvian himself or of a foreigner with resident status
  • For unmarried adult children: official certificate of being single (***) or sworn statement in which the applicant declares being unmarried in front of a Peruvian notary and, if applicable, enrollment certificate of a Peruvian educational institution
  • For children with disabilities: document proving a condition of permanent disability and the need for parent’s care (***)
  • "Recibo" (water or electricity bill proving your address)

Explanatory notes for the requirements:

(*) As we get many question about the “Antecedentes policiales, penales y judiciales” we dedicated a separate article to the topic where we explain in detail what kind of document you need, where you get it and what to watch out for when applying for it.

One of the requirements to apply for a resident visa in Peru or to change your visa type, for example from a work visa to a permanent resident visa...

(**) marriage certificate
  • If you were married in Peru: recent certified copy of your marriage certificate issued by Reniec (not older than 90 days)
  • If you were married abroad to a Peruvian: certified copy of your marriage certificate issued by the Peruvian consulate (not older than 180 days) - already in Peru without a recent copy? At the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores (RREE) in Lima, you can get certified copies of birth, marriage, and death certificates registered at a Peruvian consulate abroad.
  • If you were married to a foreigner abroad: marriage certificate with Apostille or, if the country in which the document was issued didn't sign the Apostille Convention (like Canada, for example) legalized by a Peruvian consulate and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Peru (not older than 6 months). Once in Peru, the document has to be translated into Spanish by a certified translator, a so-called traductor publico juramentado, and the legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
(***) birth certificate and any other document necessary
  • All foreign documents (even so-called “international” certificates) need an Apostille or, if the country in which they were issued, didn't sign the Apostille Convention (like Canada, for example) have to be legalized by a Peruvian consulate abroad and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Peru. Once in Peru, all documents, apostilled or legalized, have to be translated into Spanish by a certified translator, a so-called traductor publico juramentado. The translation then has to be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Applying for a family visa is a simple and straightforward process, but might be a little confusing here and there if you are not familiar with the process and the steps involved. Please see our walk-through below as general guidance only as requirements and processes change quickly. At least basic Spanish skills are required to fill in forms and understand instructions.


Last steps before your family visa application in Peru

Hopefully, you brought necessary documents from abroad, such as the criminal record check and - if applicable - marriage or birth certificate, and so forth, already apostilled or legalized - see requirements and (**) / (***) above. Once in Peru, these have to be translated by a certified translator in Peru, a so-called traductor publico juramentado. You find lists of these government-approved translators on the Peruvian government website. Just click under point 3 on the language of your original document and the list of translators for your language appears. The translation then has to be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (RREE) in Lima or a RREE branch in the provinces.

And before you can even start the family visa application process, you first have to get the so-called “Ficha de Canje Internacional” from Interpol in Peru. Find a detailed description of how it’s done in our article “Interpol - Ficha de Canje Internacional”.

All foreigners must present the "Ficha de Canje Internacional" to Migraciones when changing their immigration status either from a temporary visa o...

Once you have the Ficha and all documents together, pay the fee of S/ 162.50 for the Migraciones administrative procedure “Cambio de Calidad Migratoria” under code 07568 with concepto "Familar de residente". As you already paid the Interpol fee, you know how the systems works, otherwise check again in our article "Paying administration charges and processing fees in Peru".

All administration charges, processing fees and fines government agencies, public authorities and entities levy in Peru have to be paid at the Banc...

And last but not least, make PDFs from your passport (page with your personal data and entry stamp), and from all other required documents.

Finally, the time has come to apply for your family visa. Be aware that in case you need to leave the country during the application process you have to apply for a special travel permit (Permiso especial de viaje, officially as well called Autorización de estadía fuera del país) before you leave the country, otherwise your application is null and void.

Foreigners in Peru who applied for a visa - to be precise who applied for a change of their immigration status (cambio de calidad migratoria) or a ...

Please note that you have to be in the country on a valid visa (for example, a tourist visa or "authorization to enter as a tourist") when applying for your family visa in Peru.


Step-by-step guide to apply for a family visa in Peru

Please note: When the new online application platform Agencia Digital was introduced in August 2021, below described application process only worked (and still works) for spouses of Peruvian nationals (para el caso de casado/a peruana/o) and for spouses of foreigners with resident status (para el caso de casado/a con extranjera/o residente en el país). Shortly afterwards, adult children with disabilities (para el caso de hijos mayores de 18 años con discapacidad) and underaged children of Peruvians or foreigners with resident status (para el caso de hijos menores de edad de peruano/a o extranjero/a residente) were added; sometimes the application works for them on the Agencia Digital, sometimes not. If not, and for all other family visa types, please contact Migraciones through the Agencia Digital (either use the chat / phone function or make an appointment under Citas en linea, Informes) for information about the application process.

And another remark before we start: The Agencia Digital is in Spanish only. We highly recommend to not using a translation program which automatically translates the page from Spanish to your preferred language to avoid system errors. Additionally, often translation programs have difficulties "understanding" the bureaucratic language used by Migraciones which results in translations that don't make any sense or are more difficult for you to understand than the Spanish original. If you can't understand the one or other field, enter the description for this field in a translator. If you still can't make sense of it, feel free to leave a comment below and we try our best to explain what to fill in. And to avoid further system errors, we highly recommend to not using a VPN and switching off any ad blockers you might use.

Once you have done all the preparation work, open the Migraciones Agencia Digital and click on Entrar.

On the next page, select "Extranjero". Then choose in the drop-down menu the document with which you entered Peru (most probably passport), enter your passport number, your birthdate, nationality, the date you entered Peru and the captcha. Click on Verificar.

No matter which forms you fill out in Peru, always enter your personal data exactly (!!!) as in your passport!

Now you are on the main page of the Agencia Digtal. Here you can either use the search field or find in the menu on the left under “Cambio de Calidad Migratoria” the points:

  • Familiar Residente: Casado con peruano(a) o extranjero(a) residente (resident family married to a Peruvian or foreign resident)
  • Familiar Residente: hijos(as) adultos con dispacidad (resident family adult children with disabilities)
  • hopefully as well Familiar Residente: hijo/a menor de edad (resident family underage children).

Choose the one that applies and proceed to the next page.

1st page of the family visa application

Here, you first have to select the Migraciones branch which should handle your application (for example, Lima, Cusco, Arequipa, …). In the second field, you must enter a “data update code” which you most probably don’t have. Below this field is a quite small link.

Click on it and and you are re-directed to the Sistema de Actualizacion de Datos page. Choose Option 2. On the next page fill in your nationality, select the document with which you entered Peru (most probably passport), enter your passport number, and your birth date, select your gender and enter the captcha; you can leave the field with the "preinscription code" blank. Then you get to a quite extensive questionnaire.

Data update questionnaire

Be aware that you only have 1 hour to complete the questionnaire and as the system doesn’t save your information, even though there is an option to save, once you started you must finish it within an hour otherwise all your progress is gone, and you have to start from scratch. The questions are quite unorganized and partly a bit strange, so to give you an idea what questions you have to answer and might need to prepare for here an overview:

In the first two categories, you have to fill in your personal data including full name (as in your passport!), document with which you entered Peru, document number, gender, marital status, country of birth, if you have a criminal, police or judicial record, if you are pregnant.

The third category asks for your address in Peru, your e-mail address, cell phone number and landline phone number. Here you must upload a “recibo”, so a water or electricity bill to prove that you live at that address. The recibo doesn't have to be in your name, just must show the correct address.

Then you are asked for the information of an emergency contact, including ID, name and e-mail of your emergency contact. This is followed by questions about your employment situation and where you were born (continent, country, town).

In the next category, you have to enter your hair and eye color, height in meters, weight in kilograms, religion, marital status, date of marriage, vaccinations and if you have a disability or disease. You are then asked if you arrived in Peru alone or if someone was accompanying you. If so, you must enter the personal data (passport number, name, last name, birthdate) of that person. Now you are asked if you have lived in other countries previously and in which country before coming to Peru, when you last entered Peru, how you came to Peru (plane, bus, car).

The last questions check your living conditions (are you living in a house, number of rooms, accommodation connected to water, sewage, electricity, and internet), ask for some financial info (bank accounts in Peru or other countries, shares or stock in Peru, bank loans in Peru) and want to know if you have a car and a driver’s license in Peru or other country.

As soon as you have completed the last page of the questionnaire, the system accepts all your answers and sends the data update code to your e-mail.

You made it!

Back to the 1st page of the family visa application

Now fill in the data update code and click on Siguente.

2nd page of the family visa application

Here you must fill in some data and/or upload all for the family visa application necessary documents as PDF.

Those who just want to verify the requirements or double check if the requirements have changed can do so on this page. Then just click through the tabs but do not upload any documents and do not click on Siguente; once you finished just leave the page.

To continue with your family visa application, click on the little arrows next to each requirement, and certain fields appear depending on the requirement. Just fill in the fields as requested and upload the corresponding document.

Under “Pago por derecho de tramite” you are asked to enter certain information of the bank receipt. If you don't know where to find the requested bank information on your receipt, click on the question mark.

Under the Interpol tab, you must upload the Ficha de Canje from Interpol and the criminal record check you brought from home. Be aware that both fields are mandatory, and you can’t continue without having uploaded both documents.

Under the next tab, you must upload the document proving your family ties (for example, your marriage certificate).

Next, you must enter the DNI number of the Peruvian part of the family or the Carné number of the foreign resident you are related to.

And finally, fill in the required information of your passport and upload a copy.

There is one last tab “Exceso de permanencia” (excess stay) which suggests that foreigners in Peru who overstayed their time as a tourist can apply for a family visa and just have to upload a payment receipt for their overstayed days and a sworn statement explaining the reasons for their overstay. As far as we know, this tab does not apply when you change your immigration status from tourist to family. You must be in Peru on a valid tourist “visa” to apply for any resident visa. This was confirmed by a Peruvian immigration lawyer and finally as well by Migraciones (November 2022). According to Migraciones, the only option for those who overstayed their time as a tourist and want to get a residence permit is to regularize their status and apply for the so-called CPP (Carné de permiso temporal de permanencia). As you can’t always trust the replies you get from Migraciones, we stay on that topic. If you have any other information about this topic, please let us know.

Once you uploaded all your documents, click on Siguente.

3rd page of the family visa application

You then get to a page showing the fields of the Form PA - Cambio de Calidad Migratoria already (partly) filled in. If and where necessary and/or possible, complete the fields and check that all information is 100% correct. Download and/or print it (if downloading isn't possible, make a screenshot of the complete page).

At the bottom under the signature / finderprint field the "fecha de publicacion" (application date) and a "codigo de verificaion" (verification code) is shown. If you later want to check the status of your application online, which can be done here or want to apply for a travel permit to leave the country while the approval of your application is still in process, you need this code, so, keep it safe.

Then print the page, sign and fingerprint it, and keep it safe until you pick up your carné. Or you can as well download the Form PA - Cambio de Calidad Migratoria on the government website, fill it in, sign and fingerprint it, and bring this with you when you pick up your carné.

4th page of the family visa application

You now get to a page "Registro de Solicitud de Cambio de Calidad Migratoria" where you are asked to make an appointment for having your biometrical data (photo, fingerprints, signature) taken with a provided code. This code is your numero de expediente (file number). It consists of 2 letters (usually some abbreviation of the Migraciones office where you applied; LM for Lima, for example; or CY for Chiclayo, etc.) and 9 numbers. Download and or print the page and keep it safe. Once you leave this page, you can't return to it. And if you haven't saved your file number, it's a nightmare to retrieve it.

As waiting times sometimes can be long, especially in Lima, we suggest to follow provided link and make the appointment immediately. If you want to make it at a later time, you can enter the Agencia Digital and make an appointment under "Citas en Linea", subpoint "para registro de datos biometricos".

Buzon Electronico

The Buzon Electronico is your personal Migraciones electronic mailbox which you should check regularly for notifications from Migraciones (for example, request to upload missing or additional documents, approval or denial of your visa application, etc.).

The username (usario) and password (contraseña) should be on one of the documents displayed at the end of your application. If you didn't get your login details or missed them, just enter the Agencia Digital and on the main page at the top click on Buzon Electronico or use this direct link. Then click on ¿Olvidaste la contraseña? and you get to the "Verificacion de Datos" page. Here enter your nationality, passport, passport number, last name(s), first name(s) and your birthdate. After submitting your information by clicking on Siguiente, you get an email with the "usario" and a link to reset or create a password.


Getting your Carné (foreigner ID)

Biometrical data appointment

On the day of your biometrical data appointment, be at the office 15 - 30 minutes before your appointment with your documents (usually only your printed appointment and passport is needed, but to be prepared for any unforeseen events you may have the folder with all other documents with you). Be aware that in Lima, the biometrical data is taken at the Migraciones office on Jr. Carabaya and not at the main office in Breña. The process is quick and astonishingly well organized; you should be done in less than half an hour.

Then all you can do is check your Buzon regularly and wait until your visa is approved.

Registration in the foreigner database

As soon as your application is approved, pay the fee of S/ 49.90 on pagalo.pe under code 07561-Formulario F-SPE-001 for the registration in the foreigner database and issuance of the carné under concepto "Expedición del carné de extranjeria".

Then once again enter the Agencia Digtal to do the online registration under “Inscr. Reg. central extranjeria”. As before, just follow the steps as indicated. Check that all information is correct. At the end, you get a confirmation which you should download and/or print and keep safe.

Picking up your carné at Migraciones

Then make an appointment on the Agencia Digital under “Citas en linea”, subpoint "para recojo de documentos" to pick up your carné. Once again, download and/or print the confirmation and keep it safe.

On the day of your appointment, arrive at Migraciones 15 - 30 minutes early. Take your passport, all documents and receipts with you. Migraciones personal will point you in the right direction where you are handed your carné.

Congratulations! You made it!


Things you should know living in Peru on a family visa

The family visa (so the residence visa) is valid for one year, in some cases two years, and then has to be renewed. The carné (so the Peruvian foreigner ID) is usually valid for four years and then must be renewed. For more details, check out our glossary under "Carné de Extranjería - Peru’s ID Card for foreigners"

Foreigners living in Peru on a family visa have to be in the country at least 183 days per year, otherwise they lose their resident status. In case you have to be outside Peru for longer, before leaving the country, apply for the Autorización de estadía fuera del país por 183 días, and won't lose your residency.

If you are living in Peru on a family visa, you are allowed to work as an employee or independently.

If any information provided when applying for your family visa changes, Migraciones must be informed about it within 30 days. So, if you get a new passport, change your name, move to a new address, etc. you have to apply for a so-called "modificación de datos en el registro central de extranjería". Be aware that, in some cases, a new carné has to be issued after the application is approved.

Even though not always enforced, if you as a foreigner living in Peru on a family visa want to leave the country for short or extended periods of time, for example, to go on holidays you must present a tax form before being allowed to leave Peru. If you didn't have any earnings or other income in Peru, you must present the so-called “Declaración jurada de haber realizado actividades que no impliquen la generación de rentas de fuente peruana” at immigrations before you are allowed to leave. So, just download Formulario 1495, fill it in, sign it and show it to the immigration officer when leaving Peru. If you, however, had any kind of income as independent or dependent worker in Peru, you must present the so-called "Certificado de Rentas y Retenciones" at immigrations before you are allowed to leave. This form is issued by your employer, who confirms that the income tax corresponding to your earnings was retained according to the Peruvian tax legislation. The physical form, Formulario 1492, is rarely used anymore. Instead, your employer or client has to enter his/her Sunat Virtual and fill in the Formulario Virtual 1692°, then print and sign it and give it to you. The form expires 30 days after it was filed with Sunat; so, you must leave Peru within these 30 days. If you work independently, receive an income from Peruvian sources and pay your income tax directly to Sunat, you have to fill in Formulario 1494 “Declaración jurada de haber pagado directamente el impuesto”, sign it, attach a receipt proving you paid your income tax and present it at immigrations before leaving.

Those having received the family visa through marriage with a Peruvian or foreign resident of Peru can get the Peruvian nationality, apply for a so-called Nacionalización por matrimonio, after having legally lived in Peru for at least two years.

If you don't want to get the Peruvian nationality or can't because your home country doesn't allow dual nationality, after three years of legal residency in Peru on a family visa, you can apply for a permanent resident visa - make a so-called Cambio de calidad migratoria a permanente residente (Familiar Residente); no more extensions and an indefinite residency (and the good thing for relatives of Peruvians or foreigners with a resident status, no proof of own income is necessary).

And finally, if you as a foreigner living in Peru on a family visa, are leaving Peru permanently, you have to cancel your residence visa. Once the application is approved, you have 15 days to exit the country.


We from LimaEasy are not the Peruvian immigration authority Migraciones or a Peruvian consulate. All information is published to our best knowledge and should be seen as general guidance introducing you to Peruvian procedures. All information is subject to change, as regulations, requirements, and processes can change quickly without prior notice! Therefore, we recommend checking the current regulations with the nearest Peruvian consulate or, if you are already in Peru, with Migraciones!

And if you find something wrong on this page, please help us to keep this guide as up to date as possible and contact us either below with a comment or use our contact form. Thank you!



Say something here...
characters left
or post as a guest
All comments are being moderated before publishing and will appear below within 24 hours.
Loading comment... The comment will be refreshed after 00:00.
  • This commment is unpublished.
    Tristan · 14/07/2022
    Hi! Just wondering do I have to have my biometrics appointment before my visa expires or once the registration has been successfully completed can I have the biometrics taken outside the time the my visa would have expired? Thanks very much!!
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 14/07/2022
      @Tristan Hello Tristan,

      Sorry, I don’t understand. Which visa are you talking about? The tourist visa?

      No matter if you are in Peru on a “real” tourist visa issued by a Peruvian consulate or travel visa-free to Peru and got an authorization to enter and stay for x (up to 90) days - this is nothing more than an entry in a database and granted automatically when you enter - it has to be valid on the day you submit the application for your resident visa on the Agencia Digital and get the confirmation of the application.

      Then time stops. If a day later your “tourist visa” expires no problem. As the appointment for getting your biometrical data taken is sometime during the approval process of your residency, most often at the end of it, your “tourist visa” not necessarily has to be valid at that point. And as the approval process sometimes takes many weeks or even months, the “tourist visa” of most foreigners is expired by the time they get the biometrical data appointment.

      Or do you already have a resident visa? If you have to extend your residence permit usually no new carné is issued, so no appointment for biometrical data is necessary. If you, however, for whatever reason need a new carné, then similar to above you just have to make sure that your residency is still valid when you apply for the new carné, if it expires at some point later and is already expired on the date of appointment for the biometrical data no problem.

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Stephen · 01/06/2022
    Hi, how does a spouse to a Peruvian that is abroad (not in Peru) secure a Family Visa to enable him travel to Peru
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 01/06/2022
      @Stephen Hello Stephen,

      you can apply for a family visa at any Peruvian consulate abroad and just get your carné once you arrived in Peru.

      But be aware the family visa is not intended to travel to Peru or for short-term stays. It's a resident visa requiring to be in Peru at least 183 days in a year; if you are not in the country this half year you lose your residency again.

      If you just want to visit and travel in Peru for up to 3 months, you can enter the country as a tourist and don't have to go through all the red tape necessary for getting a family visa.

    • This commment is unpublished.
      Patricia · 06/06/2022
      @Sunflower Hi Eva, I came to the Peruvian Consulate here in Denver, USA to apply for a family visa and the answer was unfauvorable, they said it doesn’t exist.
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 06/06/2022
      @Patricia Hello Patricia,

      that's an interesting answer and seems really strange.

      You probably should show or send them two Peruvian laws:

      First of all the Peruvian Foreigner Law, Decreto Legislativo 1350, published in the official Peruvian gazette El Peruano on January 7, 2017. Under Titulo IV Procedemiento administrative migratorio Capitulo 1 “Visa y Calidad Migratoria" on page 61 of the document you find in article 29º “Tipos de Calidades Migratorias” under point “i” the “Familiar de residente”, so the family visa. So, yes, it does exist.

      Additionally send or show them the Supreme" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://www.limaeasy.com/index.php?option=com_jreviews&format=ajax&url=media/download&m=1766Y&1654548535007">Supreme Decree DS N° 002-2021-IN published in the official Peruvian gazette El Peruano on March 24, 2021 which updates above mention Legislative Decree 1350. On page 43 of the document (page 25 of the PDF) in article 89-A you find the requirements for the family visa when applying at a consulate (“Procedimiento administrative de solicitud de calidad migratoria de familiar residente”).

      So, it seems the visa exists. And I'm living proof of it as I have one.

      Are you sure they said it doesn't exist? Or do they probably don't process applications for it, which might be strange as well.

      So, not sure how I can help.


    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 06/06/2022
      @Sunflower Patricia, I just checked the website of the Peruvian consulate in Denver. And it seems they only issue tourist and business visas, no resident visas. So, you might want to check out the Peruvian consulate general in Washington if they issue resident visas or apply in Peru.

    • This commment is unpublished.
      Stephen · 13/06/2022
      @Sunflower Thank you Eva,
      From correspondence, the embassy in Ghana wrote that, they don't issue family visa, so i applied for a tourist visa to enable enter Peru, to start the process. I was not granted tourist Visa, answer was that i was not eligible, even with my Peruvian marriage certificate, i was really sad but my wife was heartbroken. The embassy replied i should apply in 6 months time again. I need help on how to get reunited with my wife as fast as possible.. i learnt the family Visa process is mostly done in Peru, that the embassy would issue a tourist Visa to enable one enter Peru to carry out the process. 
  • This commment is unpublished.
    Mikayla · 28/05/2022
    Hi, I'm still trying to get a background check issued in the US but my tourist visa expires in 2 weeks. When does the process start where I am not allowed to leave the country? I've uploaded all my other documents to the platform but haven't submitted yet since I still need the other background check. It will take probably 4 weeks to mail and get back. Do I need to leave the country and come back in, or since I've started uploading documents do I have to stay? I don't want to get in trouble for overstaying, or for leaving if it nulls the application.  However, if just uploading documents doesn't start the process, then I'll need to leave. But I am at the end of my 183 day limit in the country this year. So I'm afraid if I leave and try to come back in they won't let me. I've also asked if I can get an extension for my tourist visa and they said they don't allow extensions. What do I need to do? Will I be ok staying, or will I be allowed back in if I leave?
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 28/05/2022
      @Mikayla Hello Mikayla,

      Do not overstay, not even by a day when you plan to apply for residency. Your tourist visa must be still valid on the day you apply, otherwise your application will not be accepted. And no, there are no tourist visa extensions anymore.

      However, you are safe as soon as you have submitted your application and got the confirmation which is immediately sent to you by Migraciones. Even if your tourist visa expires a day later, no problem. So, if you just have uploaded documents, but haven't finished your application and submitted it, I recommend doing so a few days before your tourist visa expires.

      A few days later, you will get a message from Migraciones requesting to upload the missing background check within 3 to 5 days or so (on the bottom of your application confirmation you find the access data to your buzón electronico, check it every day to not miss anything).

      As by then you still don't have your background check and can't upload it, immediately respond to this message asking for a 30 day extension of the deadline to submit your background check. I'm not sure, if you can directly respond to the message or have to use the Mesa de Partes Virtual on the Agencia Digital. Usually, you don't get an answer to your request, but can assume it's granted if you don't get a notification saying otherwise.

      Anyway, if you wait another week before submitting your visa application plus around 3 days they need to respond plus 30 days extension, this should give you enough time to get your background check, including Apostille, and upload it before the extension time runs out. Problem solved.

      By the way, check out the comment below from Ryan (18.03.2022), he was worried about the long processing time, but did exactly what I recommend above.

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Mick · 11/04/2022
    Hi, above it states "The document needs an Apostille or has to be legalized in the country of origin". Is this an either or situation? Does the document have to go to a ministry in the issuing  country for apostille and then to peruvian embassy for legalizaton or is the apostille sufficient on its own? Thanks
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 11/04/2022
      @Mick Hello Mick,

      The Apostille is nothing more than a specialized certificate verifying the legitimacy, genuineness and origin of a document. While the traditional method for authenticating documents to be used abroad, the legalization, involves numerous individual authentications of the document by increasingly higher authorities in the country where it was issued as well as the foreign Embassy or Consulate of the country where the document is to be used, the Apostille greatly simplifies and quickens the authentication process as usually only two (issuing and competent) or three (issuing, higher and competent) authorities in the country of origin are involved and no further authentication by the foreign Embassy or Consulate of the country where the document is to be used, or in the foreign country where the document is to be used, is necessary.

      But a document can only be apostilled if the country where it was issued and where it is to be used signed the "Apostille Convention" (Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents). Around 120 countries worldwide did so including Peru; however, Canada, most countries in Africa and some in the Middle East and Asia didn't.

      So, if the document was issued in a country that signed the Apostille Convention, you should get an Apostille; simpler, quicker and cheaper and, once in Peru, it only has to be translated by a certified translator, if it isn't in Spanish, and is accepted. If you just use an official translator in Peru, the translation has to be over-authenticated by the Peruvian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (RREE).

      If the document was issued in a country that didn't sign the Apostille Convention, you have to follow the steps in the country of origin including as last step the Peruvian consulate to get the legalization. Then once in Peru the documents has to be over-authenticated by the Peruvian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and translated (and perhaps over-authenticated once more by RREE).

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Ryan · 18/03/2022
    Hi, I entered Peru in June last year with the intention to get married. We did do so in September. I however had to leave the country for a day and come back in, in order to still be on a valid visa. I needed that to sign the marriage contract. I received another 90 days which ran out on December 7th. I submitted my application for the marriage visa on the 2nd of December. I however did not have the completed police clearance certificate yet. Mine still needed the apostille. We were advised though to send in the application while still legal in the country. 

    A few days later we received a notice from migration that I have 5 days to submit the apostilled document. It was not ready yet so we were advised to ask for a 30 day extension. I did that, but did not receive any confirmation from them that it had been granted. My contact said that as long as they did not send me a notice to say my application was denied, the extension was granted.

    I finally received the apostilled document back a month later and sent it to them. Took forever since I am from South Africa and our systems are really slow. It has been months now and I have not received any communication through the Buzon electronico from migration. My contact said the only thing is to wait, since the process can be long and that as long as their is no notice of the application being denied it is still in process.

    It seems odd though to have had no notice from them in over 3 months. Do you perhaps know if this is normal and what I can do in this situation please?
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 18/03/2022
      @Ryan Hello Ryan,

      You did everything by the book. Perfect. In my opinion, you and the person advising you did a great job. Personally, I would have done the same things / given you the same advice.

      And yes, I would expect a notification from Migraciones either approving or denying your request for the extension of time they gave you to hand in your background check. But I have to agree with your contact, no news is good news. So, if you haven’t received anything from Migraciones denying your request, consider it approved and as long as you sent them the missing document within the 30 days, all good.

      And even though the processing time for a resident visa application is supposed to be 30 business days (add to that another 30 days for your extension request; officially your application is on hold for that time), as far as I know, it takes anything between 2 and 5 months at the moment until resident visa applications are approved. So, you are still well in time. And yes, it’s a nerve-wrecking waiting game, but I have to agree once more with your contact; as long as you haven’t received a notification that your resident visa application was denied, it’s still in process.

      Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do. Wait, pray, hope for the best, check your buzón regularly. In case you haven’t heard anything from Migraciones by mid-/ end April, I personally would get in contact with them (best use the chat on the Agencia Digital).

      All the best, including lots of patience

    • This commment is unpublished.
      Aude · 21/06/2022
      @Sunflower Hello, I would like to share my experience on that topic. I send my papers for this visa on march 24th 2022, on April the 8th they ask me the apostille that I didn’t have at that time, I send it back less than 5days after their request. After 30 Dias habiles, no news from them. I waited  10more days and I went to the office of migraciones  in huancayo. I told them that I had no news after the 30 days and they took my biometric info ( picture and prints) and They told me to wait 15 to 20days to get my papers. 5 days later it was ready, and I was able to take an appointment to pick it up ! 
      My advice would be to nicely insist if you don’t have it yet ;) 
      it could be more difficult in Lima than province . I wish you good luck ! 
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 21/06/2022
      @Aude Hello Aude,

      thank you so much for sharing your experience with Migraciones in Huancayo. Seems to me they are more organized and especially a lot quicker than in Lima who according to reports from applicants are behind about 6 months. It's insane at the moment.

      So, I can only congratulate on receiving your family visa and carné so quickly.


  • This commment is unpublished.
    Mick · 04/03/2022
    Hi I'm in the process of applying for the family Visa and I'm wondering if anyone on here experience with getting police clearance from Canada? If anyone has information regarding this could you please provide a detailed step-by-step process of how you we're able to get this when you are already located in Peru. Thank
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 04/03/2022
      Hello Mick,

      sorry, I can't help you here, but this is what the Royal Canadian Mounted Police says:

      "From outside Canada

      To submit fingerprints to the RCMP's Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services (CCRTIS) from outside of Canada, you must first contact the local police of jurisdiction where you are staying outside Canada and who can provide you with a copy of your fingerprints. Ensure you get the name and address of the police agency as well as the signature and name of the official taking the fingerprints. Also ensure all ten fingers are taken with black ink.

      Next, you must contact an accredited company [CCRTIS-SCICTR @ rcmp-grc.gc.ca. for a list of accredited companies] within Canada who can convert the paper fingerprint forms taken outside of Canada and submit them to CCRTIS electronically."

      I have no idea, if you can get your fingerprints taken in Peru at a police station; worth a try. Or you could ask at the Canadian embassy if they know where you can get this done (they themselves most probably won't do it and might not be helpful). Otherwise you unfortunately have to get back to Canada to do it there. What a pain.


  • This commment is unpublished.
    Fernando · 19/01/2022
    Hi, my wife and I just went through the process and we can confirm that they are enforcing the police clearance certificate. We obtained this document from the FBI and had to legalize it in a Peruvian consulate in the US. Thereupon in Peru, we had an official translation service translate the document into Spanish and then legalize the document once again in the Ministry of Foreign Relations.
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 19/01/2022
      Hello Fernando,

      thank you so much for your feedback.


Peru Event Calendar

Latest Content...

Latest Video

Maria Reiche - Memories

Maria Reiche - Memories

Submitted by: Tintin
05 December 2021

Long Reads...

  • Peruvian Archaeology

    The Mystery of the Nazca Lines in Peru

    In the 1920s, when people first flew across southern Peru, they made an astonishing discovery. Stretching below them,…
  • Peruvian Personalities & Founders

    Francisco Pizarro González (1474-1541)

    Francisco Pizarro, a peasant from Spain, was one of the least well-equipped conquerors in history. However, in the name…
  • Peruvian Archaeology

    The colorful Fabrics and Textiles of Peru

    Europe’s first knowledge of Peruvian textiles was acquired following the Spanish invasion of Peru in 1532, when the…
  • Peruvian Legends, Myths & Tales

    The Jeweled Frog and the Condor

    By a quiet pond, at the side of a cloud-topped mountain in Peru, lived a small green frog and his large green family.…
  • Peru Info

    Peruvian Economy

    The Peruvian economy is an emerging, social market economy highly dependent on foreign trade and classified as an upper…