Peruvian Student Visa

Peruvian Student Visa

A Guide to Peruvian Visas

Part 2

Foreigners planning to study at a Peruvian educational institution or to do an internship / apprenticeship (without payment!) at a Peruvian company have to apply for a student visa.

Depending on the length of your studies in Peru, a resident student visa, called Formación residente (for studies longer than 12 months) is issued or a temporary student visa, called Formación temporal, which is intended for studies less than 12 months; however, usually temporary student visas are only issued for 90 days and then can be extended for the same number of days.

But, be aware that in some cases, "short-term" students and participants of study abroad programs don't have to apply for a student visa at all but can do their studies on a tourist visa. So, best check with the Peruvian university, the organization of your exchange program or nearest Peruvian consulate if this exception might apply to you.

Please note: the Peruvian educational institution or training facility you plan to study / do an internship has to be recognized by the Peruvian Ministry of Education or the National Assembly of University Rectors.

Content overview


Legal background for the student visa application in Peru

Officially, you can apply for a temporary or resident student visa at a Peruvian consulate abroad or at Migraciones in Peru. However, since August 2021, an increasing number of Peruvian diplomatic missions abroad don't issue temporary visas (except tourist and business visas) or resident visas anymore.

So, students or interns must enter Peru as a tourist and then change their immigration status from tourist to either temporary student or resident student - make a so called Cambio de calidad migratoria (as opposed to a Solicitud de calidad migratoria at a consulate) - at Migraciones.

For foreigners planning to stay longer in Peru and to apply for a temporary or resident visa, the most important laws and regulations are the Decreto Legislativo 1350 (which only stipulates general rules), the Decreto Supremo 002-2021-IN and the TUPA. Helpful as well is to check out the Peruvian government website. All these documents are, of course, in Spanish.

While below under "Requirements for a student visa application in Peru" you find the necessary documents described in English, the official list of requirements (in Spanish) can be found here:

Temporary student visa

In the Decreto Supremo 002-2021-IN on page 29 in article 73-A “Procedimiento administrativo de solicitud de calidad migratoria formación temporal” (when applying at a Peruvian consulate) or in article 73-C “Procedimiento administrativo de cambio de calidad migratoria formación temporal” on page 30 when applying at Migraciones in Peru. If you prefer to check out the TUPA you find the information on page 101.

Resident student visa

In the Decreto Supremo 002-2021-IN in article 83-A “Procedimiento administrative de Solicitud de Calidad Migratoria de Formación” on page 36 (when applying in Peru) or in article 83-B “Procedimiento administrative de cambio de calidad migratoria formacion residente” on page 37 when applying in Peru. If you prefer to read the TUPA you find the information on page 167.


Requirements for a student visa application in Peru

Below you find the requirements to apply for a temporary or resident student visa, accurately to make a so-called "Cambio de calidad migratoria" (change of immigration status) in Peru.

Please be aware that Migraciones has the right to request other and/or additional documents at any time.

Required documents to apply for a temporary (!) student visa in Peru include:

  • Form PA - Cambio de Calidad Migratoria
  • Interpol clearance - Ficha de canje internacional not older than 6 months (see below)
  • Receipt for paid application fee (code Migraciones 07568; concept Cambio de calidad migratoria formación temporal, S/.118 in 2022)
  • Passport
  • Sworn statement that you don't have a criminal record in Peru and abroad
  • Sworn statement stating that you (in case of minors, the parents) have sufficient financial resources to fund your studies or internship in Peru
  • For students: Enrollment certification issued by the recognized Peruvian educational institution
  • For exchange students: Official letter from the Peruvian host university or higher education institution 
  • For interns: Official letter from the Peruvian company

Required documents to apply for a resident (!) student visa in Peru include:

  • Form PA - Cambio de Calidad Migratoria
  • Interpol clearance - Ficha de canje internacional not older than 6 months (see below)
  • Receipt for paid application fee (code Migraciones 07568; concept Cambio de calidad migratoria formación residente; S/.162.50 in 2022)
  • Passport
  • Antecedentes policiales, penales y judiciales (Police clearance certificate, criminal record and judicial matters check) issued in the country of origin and, if the applicant lived in another country before coming to Peru, in the country of residence covering the last 5 years (*) (**)
  • Sworn statement stating that you (in case of minors, the parents) have sufficient financial resources to fund your studies or internship in Peru
  • For students: Enrollment certification issued by the recognized Peruvian educational institution
  • For exchange students: Official letter from the Peruvian host university or higher education institution 
  • For interns: Official letter from the Peruvian company

(*) All foreign documents need an Apostille or, if the country in which they were issued didn't sign the Apostille Convention (like Canada, for example) they have to be legalized by a Peruvian consulate abroad and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Peru. Additionally, all documents, apostilled or legalized, have to be translated into Spanish by a certified translator in Peru, in case they are not solely in Spanish!

(**) As we get many question about the “Antecedentes policiales, penales y judiciales” we dedicated a separate article to the topic where we explain in detail what kind of document you need, where you get it and what to watch out for when applying for it.

One of the requirements to apply for a resident visa in Peru or to change your visa type, for example from a work visa to a permanent resident visa...


Last steps before your student visa application

Before you can even start any temporary or resident visa application process, you first have to get the so-called “Ficha de Canje Internacional” from Interpol in Peru. Find a detailed description of how it’s done in our article “Interpol - Ficha de Canje Internacional”.

All foreigners must present the "Ficha de Canje Internacional" to Migraciones when changing their immigration status either from a temporary visa o...

Once you have the Ficha and all documents mentioned above together, pay the fee of S/ 118 (temporary student visa) / S/ 162.50 (resident student visa) for the Migraciones administrative procedure “Cambio de Calidad Migratoria” under code 07568 with "concepto": "Formacion temporal" or "Formacion residente" on pagalo.pe at any Banco de la Nacion branch or at some Banco de la Nacion ATMs. As you already paid the Interpol fee, you know how the systems works, otherwise check again in our article "Paying administration charges and processing fees in Peru".

All administration charges, processing fees and fines government agencies, public authorities and entities levy in Peru have to be paid at the Banc...

And last but not least, make PDFs from your passport (page with your personal data and entry stamp), and from all other required documents.

Be aware that you can only leave Peru during the processing time of your student visa application with a special travel permit (Permiso especial de viaje, officially as well called Autorización de estadía fuera del país).

Foreigners in Peru who applied for a visa - to be precise who applied for a change of their immigration status (cambio de calidad migratoria) or a ...

Please be aware that you have to be in the country on a valid visa (for example, a tourist visa or "authorization to enter as a tourist") when applying for your student visa in Peru.


Step-by-step guide to apply for a student visa in Peru

One remark before we start: The Agencia Digital, where you have to submit your application online, is in Spanish only. We highly recommend to not using a translation program which automatically translates the page from Spanish to your preferred language to avoid system errors. Additionally, often translation programs have difficulties "understanding" the bureaucratic language used by Migraciones, which results in translations that don't make any sense or are more difficult for you to understand than the Spanish original. If you can't understand the one or other field, enter the description for this field in a translator. If you still can't make sense of it, feel free to leave a comment below and we try our best to explain what to fill in. And to avoid further system errors, we highly recommend to not using a VPN and switching off any ad blockers you might use.

Once you have done all the preparation work, open the Migraciones Agencia Digital and click on Entrar.

On the next page, select "Extranjero". Then choose in the drop-down menu the document with which you entered Peru (most probably passport), enter your passport number, your birthdate, nationality, the date you entered Peru and the captcha. Click on Verificar.

No matter which forms you fill out in Peru, always enter your personal data exactly (!!!) as in your passport!

Now you are on the main page of the Agencia Digital. Here you can either use the search field or find in the menu on the left under “Cambio de calidad migratoria” the points “Formación Temporal” and “Formación Residente”. Choose the one that applies and proceed to the next page..

1st page of the student visa application

Here, you first have to select the Migraciones branch which should handle your application (for example, Lima, Cusco, Arequipa, …). In the second field, you must enter a “data update code” which you most probably don’t have. Below this field is a quite small link.

Click on it and you end up on another page where you first have to fill in your nationality, select the document with which you entered Peru (most probably passport), enter your passport number, and your birth date, select your gender and enter the captcha; you can leave the field with the "preinscription code" blank. Then you end up on the quite extensive questionnaire.

Data update questionnaire

Be aware that you only have 1 hour to complete the questionnaire and as the system doesn’t save your information, even though there is an option to save, once you started you must finish it within an hour otherwise all your progress is gone, and you have to start from scratch. The questions are quite unorganized and partly a bit strange, so to give you an idea what questions you have to answer and might need to prepare for here an overview:

In the first two categories, you have to fill in your personal data including full name (as in your passport!), document with which you entered Peru, document number, gender, marital status, country of birth, if you have a criminal, police or judicial record, if you are pregnant.

The third category asks for your address in Peru, your e-mail address, cell phone number and landline phone number. Here you must upload a “recibo”, so a water or electricity bill to prove that you live at that address.

Then you are asked for the information of an emergency contact, including ID, name and e-mail of your emergency contact. This is followed by questions about your employment situation and where you were born (continent, country, town).

In the next category, you have to enter your hair and eye color, height in meters, weight in kilograms, religion, marital status, date of marriage, vaccinations and if you have a disability or disease. You are then asked if you arrived in Peru alone or if someone was accompanying you. If so, you must enter the personal data (passport number, name, last name, birthdate) of that person. Now you are asked if you have lived in other countries previously and in which country before coming to Peru, when you last entered Peru, how you came to Peru (plane, bus, car).

The last questions check your living conditions (are you living in a house, number of rooms, accommodation connected to water, sewage, electricity, and internet), ask for some financial info (bank accounts in Peru or other countries, shares, or stock in Peru, bank loans in Peru) and want to know if you have a car and a driver’s license in Peru or other country.

As soon as you have completed the last page of the questionnaire, the system accepts all your answers and sends the data update code to your e-mail.

You made it!

Back to the 1st page of the student visa application

Now fill in the data update code and click on Siguente.

2nd page of the student visa application

You end up on a page where you must fill in some data and/or upload all for the student visa application necessary documents as PDF.

Those who just want to verify the requirements or double check if the requirements have changed can do so on this page. Then just click through the tabs but do not upload any documents and do not click on Siguente; once you finished just leave the page.

To continue with your student visa application, click on the little arrows next to each requirement, and certain fields appear depending on the requirement. Just fill in the fields as requested and upload the corresponding document.

Under “Pago por derecho de tramite” you are asked to enter certain information of the bank receipt. If you don't know where to find the requested bank information on your receipt, click on the question mark.

Under the Interpol tab, you must upload the Ficha de Canje from Interpol and, if you apply for a resident student visa, the criminal record check you brought from home, or, if you a apply for a temporary student visa, the sworn statement that you don't have a criminal record. Be aware that both fields are mandatory, and you can’t continue without having uploaded both documents.

Under the next tab, you must upload the enrollment certificate or letters from the university or Peruvian company and other required documents. And finally, fill in the required information of your passport and upload a copy.

Once you uploaded all your documents, click on Siguente.

3rd page of the student visa application

Once you uploaded all documents, you end up on a page showing the fields of the Form PA - Cambio de calidad migratoria already (partly) filled in. If and where necessary, complete the fields and check that all information is 100% correct. As downloading on this page doesn't seem to work anymore, download the Form PA - Cambio de Calidad Migratoria on the government website, fill it in, sign and fingerprint it, and keep it safe until you pick up your carné.

4th page of the student visa application

Since mid-2022, the system then gives you a code and the option to make an appointment for having your biometrical data (photo, fingerprints, signature) taken. Best immediately make a screenshot of the code as once you leave this page, you can't return to it. And if you haven't saved and forgot the code, it's a nightmare and nearly impossible to retrieve it.

As waiting times sometimes are long, especially in Lima, we suggest that you make the appointment immediately.

At the end of the process - if everything works smoothly - you get the confirmation of your application. Download this document and/or print it and keep it safe.

At the bottom of this document, you find the login data for the "Buzon Electronico" (your personal electronic mailbox) which you should check regularly for notifications from Migraciones (for example, request to upload missing or additional documents, approval or denial of your visa application, etc.)

Important: Some of our readers reported that they didn’t get a confirmation letter, but the login data for the Buzón was shown on the screen. If during your application process you see any code, login data or seemingly other important information, we highly recommend taking a screenshot. If for whatever reason you won’t get the codes or logins send to you and you haven’t saved them while you had the chance, it's a nightmare and nearly impossible to retrieve them.


Getting your Carné de Extranjería (foreigner ID)

Biometrical data appointment

On the day of your biometrical data appointment, be at the office 15 - 30 minutes before your appointment with all your documents (passport, appointment, application, all documents, receipts). Be aware that in Lima, the biometrical data is taken at the Migraciones office on Jr. Carabaya and not at the main office in Breña. The process is quick and astonishingly well organized; you should be done in less than half an hour. The staff usually tells you when you should make an appointment to pick up your carné, but often a message is sent as well via the buzón electronico. So keep an eye on that. Expect to wait 10 - 14 days (or longer, if Migraciones is behind with approving applications) while your carné is in the process of being issued.

Registration in the foreigner database

After your biometrical data appointment (so as soon as your application was approved), pay the fee of S/ 49.90 on pagalo.pe under code 07561-Formulario F-SPE-001 for the registration in the foreigner database and issuance of the carné; temporary student visa applicants choose under concepto "Expedición de carné temporal migratorio - CTM", while resident student visa applicants select "Expedición del carné de extranjeria".

Then once again enter the Agencia Digital to do the online registration under “Inscr. Reg. central extranjeria”. As before, just follow the steps as indicated. Check that all information is correct. At the end, you get a confirmation, which you should download and/or print and keep safe.

Be aware that in case the approval of your visa application is still in process, the registration does not work. So, then just wait with the online registration until your visa application is approved and do it then.

Picking up your carné at Migraciones

Once your application is approved and you registered in the foreign database, make an appointment on the Agencia Digital under “Citas en linea” to pick up your carné. Once again, download and/or print the confirmation and keep it safe.

On the day of your appointment, arrive at Migraciones 15 - 30 minutes early. Take your passport, all documents, confirmation(s) and receipts with you. Migraciones personal will point you in the right direction where you are handed your carné.

Congratulations! You made it!


Can I work on a student visa in Peru?

No! The Peruvian student visa doesn’t allow foreigners to work or engage in any professional activity receiving a remuneration.

However, students can apply for a special authorization to work, the so-called Permiso de trabajo extraordinario, which allows them to work part-time and during official university vacations. Requirements can be found in the current TUPA on page 61. The application is done on the Agencia Digital under "Permisos".


Things you should know living in Peru on a student visa

Temporary student visas are usually only valid 90 and then can be extended for the same number of days.

A resident student visa (so the residence permit) is valid for one year and then has to be renewed. The carné (so the Peruvian foreigner ID) is usually valid for four years and then must be renewed. For more details, check out our glossary under "Carné de Extranjería – Peru’s ID Card for foreigners"

If any information you provided when applying for your student visa changes, Migraciones must be informed about it within 30 days. So, if you get a new passport, move to a new address, change your name, etc. you have to apply for a so-called "modificación de datos en el registro central de extranjería". Be aware that in some cases, a new carné has to be issued after the application is approved.

Whenever you, as a resident student (without a special authorization to work), want to leave the country for short or extended periods of time, for example, to go on holidays, you must present the so-called “Declaración jurada de haber realizado actividades que no impliquen la generación de rentas de fuente peruana” at immigrations before you are allowed to leave. So, just download Formulario 1495, fill it in, sign it and show it to the immigration officer when leaving Peru.

In case you are a resident student with a special authorization to work, you have to present the "Certificado de Rentas y Retenciones". This form is issued by your employer, who confirms that the income tax corresponding to your earnings was retained according to the Peruvian tax legislation. The physical form, Formulario 1492, is rarely used anymore. Instead, your employer has to enter his/her Sunat Virtual and fill in the Formulario Virtual 1692°, then print and sign it and give it to you. The form expires 30 days after it was filed with Sunat; so, you must leave Peru within these 30 days.

Foreigners living in Peru on a resident student visa have to be in the country at least 183 days per year, otherwise they lose their resident status. In case you have to be outside Peru for longer, before leaving the country, apply for the Autorización de estadía fuera del país por 183 días, and won't lose your residency.

As already mentioned above, you are not allowed to work when being in Peru on a student visa. However, you can apply for the so-called Permiso de trabajo extraordinario, which allows you to work part-time and during official university vacations.

And finally, if you, as a resident student, are leaving Peru permanently, you have to cancel your residence visa. Once the application is approved, you have 15 days to exit the country.


Please note: We from LimaEasy are not the Peruvian immigration authority Migraciones or a Peruvian consulate. All information is published to our best knowledge and should be seen as general guidance introducing you to Peruvian procedures. All information is subject to change, as regulations, requirements, and processes can change quickly without prior notice! Therefore, we recommend checking the current regulations with the nearest Peruvian consulate or, if you are already in Peru, with Migraciones!

And if you find something wrong on this page, please help us to keep this guide as up to date as possible and contact us either below with a comment or use our contact form. Thank you!

Say something here...
characters left
or post as a guest
All comments are being moderated before publishing and will appear below within 24 hours.
Loading comment... The comment will be refreshed after 00:00.
  • This commment is unpublished.
    Gala · 02/12/2022
    Hi, my boyfriend is living with me in Lima at the moment and we have been running around in circles trying to find out information about working out a more lenghty stay for him. We were considering for him to enroll in a Spanish language institute but he was told they could not provide documentation for visa purposes. We have had to let go of that possibility now. He was told at the airport that there's only an annual 180-day maximum stay as a tourist in Peru (???) He arrived in May, overstayed 2 months and paid the fine, left and then came back a week later but was given only 30 days to stay. I thought that he could leave the country briefly and then re-enter but it seems that once the 30 days are up, we need to wait until next year to work out another 180-day tourist permit... Everywhere we go, we get told to ask in Migraciones but there's no way to reach anyone from this office and find this out, not even in person as they only let in people with appointments to issue or collect their Peruvian passports. Perhaps you can help us :'(
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 02/12/2022
      @Gala Hello Gala,

      I’m not sure what kind of help you are looking for. But I can try to explain the legal situation and give you options that might be worth looking into.

      Unfortunately, the Peruvian regulations are quite clear and since August 2021, mostly strictly enforced. Most foreign nationals who can travel to Peru visa-free can stay up to 90 days in a 180-day period and a max of 183 days per year (counted from the first entry) as a tourist in Peru. So, if your boyfriend doesn’t want to make his situation even worse by overstaying again, he should leave when his 30 days are up, because he already used the max allowed per year (90 + 60 he overstayed + an additional 30 = 180). He then should wait until May of next year to return and then can get 90 days as a tourist again. Yes, I know, not the info you wanted to hear. But these are the current regulations. Sorry.

      A tourist visa (or accurately a stay as a tourist for a certain time) is not the right status if your boyfriend wants to live in Peru. If he wants to stay long(er) term, there is no way around applying for a temporary or resident visa (and there might be another option which I explain at the end).

      Yes, normal language schools or institutes can’t issue an enrollment certificate accepted by Migraciones. If you / your boyfriend wants to go that route, you have to find a Peruvian educational institution that is recognized by the Peruvian Ministry of Education. At least before Covid a good language institute that is recognized and back then (not sure if they still do it) issued enrollment certificates was ICPNA in Miraflores (they have branches in other districts as well, but I think Miraflores is the largest and best informed when it comes to foreigners). They offer special Spanish courses for foreigners. The same applies to a few universities in Lima. So, if you haven’t looked there, check out if either ICPNA or the one or other university doesn't have these Spanish for expats/foreigners course and can’t issue an enrollment certificate.

      Next to the temporary or resident student visa, the easiest resident visa you can get is a family visa. So, assuming that you are legally in Peru, so are a Peruvian or have a resident visa and consider marrying your boyfriend, he could apply for a family visa. But the whole process needs some time, so isn’t a quick solution which, if you aren’t prepared, the student visa isn’t as well.

      Or is your boyfriend perhaps planning to work in Peru or offer some sort of service in Peru? Then he could apply for a work visa.

      As already mentioned above, there could possibly be another option. But before going this way you must (!!!) get in contact with Migraciones to get the current (!!!) requirements. Yes, I know, Migraciones is hard to reach, rarely answers the phone and most often doesn’t answer mails send to them and won't let you talk to anyone if you don’t have an appointment. So why don’t you make an appointment? It’s super easy. Your boyfriend just has to enter the Agencia Digital, enter his personal data on the first page, and then on the second page in the left menu click on Citas en linea and there select Informes. Not a big deal and on the day of his appointment, he will be allowed inside and can talk to someone in person.

      Anyway, the option I am thinking about is the so-called CCP (Carné de Permiso Temporal de Permanencia). Originally intended for Venezuelan refugees, who came to Peru as tourists and never left the country. to get some sort of permit of residence and regulate their stay in Peru, all foreign nationals can apply for a CPP under certain conditions.

      The most important is that you must be in Peru on an “irregular” immigration status, so your stay as a tourist must be expired (in case this is an option for your boyfriend he shouldn’t leave when his 30 days are up, but you must (!!!) inform yourself about the exact requirements before overstaying to not worsen the situation).

      The thing is when this regularization program was introduced on October 22, 2020, only foreigners could apply who were in Peru irregular on that day. The program was intended to be in place for just a few months, but was extended over and over and over again. When I remember correctly, you now can apply for the CPP until April 2023. What I don’t know and can’t find anywhere is, if you must have been in Peru on an expired tourist visa at a certain date. I heard from a handful of foreigners that you just have to be “irregular”, but I don’t know if that’s true and never seen anything in writing about this crucial point. Everything I found just mentioned that the deadline to apply was extended, but nowhere if you must have been on an expired tourist visa at a certain date. So, this is something you must find out at Migraciones.

      The other requirements are super simple: payment receipt for the application, payment receipt for the overstayed days, valid passport, Interpol clearance, sworn statement that you don’t have a criminal record, recibo to prove address. I think that’s it. You find all the details in the TUPA on page 8.

      When the application for the CPP is approved, your boyfriend is allowed to stay in Peru for 2 years and even can work. But the CPP can’t be extended. After the two years, he either has to apply for a “normal” resident visa or leave the country. And when he is in Peru on a CPP, he can’t leave Peru for longer than 30 days and only 3 times per year and only with a special permit.

      Even though I’m sure I didn’t tell you the things you wanted to hear, I hope I could give you the one or other option worth looking into.

      If you have any further question, feel free to contact me again.

      All the best

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Izzie · 14/10/2022

    Thank you for producing such an informative guide to the visa process - I'm an international student and it's been a lifesaver!

    I'm at the stage where I've been to my biometric appointment (on 30th September) and I'm waiting for confirmation that my application has been approved, presumably in the buzón electrónico. According to what it says on your website, I need to fill in the Inscr. Reg. central extranjeria on the Agencia Digital, but when I click on the form, it says the following, which sounds like my application still hasn't yet gone through: 

    Usted no registra información con los datos ingresados ¿Desea continuar y obtener un Certificado Negativo? 

    Should I continue with the registration despite the message, or wait until it doesn't say this? It's just that it's been two weeks since my biometric data was taken - I'm not sure how long it takes for them to process things normally. I uploaded all my documents on the 26th September. 

    Many thanks in advance, 
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 14/10/2022
      @Izzie Hello Izzie,

      Great, that our article above could guide you through most of the Peruvian bureaucracy when applying for your student visa in Peru.

      However, things change constantly at Migraciones and especially on the Agencia Digital. We try our best to keep everything as up to date as possible, but please see our article as general guidance only.

      Anyway, you can only get the registration done after your resident visa was approved, no matter if you already had your biometric data appointment or not.

      To me it seems your application is still in process which is understandable as you only applied less than three weeks ago. Most people at the moment wait at least 4 to 8 weeks until they get the confirmation that their visa was approved (depending on the workload at Migraciones it can be quicker or take even longer).

      So, wait at least another week or two. If you still haven’t heard from Migraciones by then (yes, they should inform you on the Buzon electronico) and get impatient, you could contact them either by phone 200-1000 or using the chat on the Agencia Digital.

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Sebastián · 13/07/2022

    Thanks for this. This is the best explanation in English of the process. The only discrepancy that may exist between this page and the Peruvian Migraciones page on this (https://www.gob.pe/12881-solicitud-de-visa-para-residentes-segun-su-calidad-migratoria-visa-para-residente-por-formacion?token=PN04T50np9abRy8rc6Uvns2ytQv2AlZ3gBlutLXAUoM) is the following:
    "For exchange students: Official letter from the foreign university or higher education institution" which I believe comes from this on the Migraciones page:
    "En caso de intercambio estudiantil: Copia simple de la carta de acreditación de la universidad o institución educativa, reconocida por el Estado peruano, que recibe al beneficiario, indicando los nombres y apellidos y el tiempo de duración de estudio igual o superior a un (1) año."
    My interpretation of this originally was that you need the document from the RECEIVING university in Peru, not the foreign university. I doubted myself once I read this page, and asked my Peruvian university contact. She confirmed that even exchange students only need the paperwork from the host university (in Peru). Again, I will confirm this when I am finished with the process, as I'm diving into it now.

    Thank you!


    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 13/07/2022
      @Sebastián Hello Sebastián,

      I see you already found our Student visa article.

      Anyway, I just checked the current Supreme Decree 002-2021-IN which is the base for the publications on the gob.pe website. And you are right. There in black and white you can read that the required document must be issued by the receiving (!!!) university, not the foreign one as I wrote above.

      Since I can remember the foreign university had to write this letter and it always was quite a mission to get an Apostille on it. So, they must have changed it last year, when the procedures were updated and I overlooked it. Thank you so much for pointing this out to me.

      It makes me happy to have such attentive readers helping to keep LimaEasy as accurate and up-to-date as possible!

      Thanks again!

    • This commment is unpublished.
      Sebastián · 16/09/2022
      @Sunflower Hi, Eva. Thank you for responding to this so quickly! I actually didn't expect that and only JUST NOW saw your response! Thank you for confirming this. I do have an additional question that is unrelated but can't find here on this site as of yet. With a student resident visa, I assume we are allowed to leave the country. We are here for two semesters with a summer break in between. Are we allowed to leave for as long as we like before returning for the second semester? Our first term ends at the end of December, then we start up again in Lima in March. I understand that the date that our visa ends doesn't change, but we are wondering if there is a limit on how long we can leave the country during that time.
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 16/09/2022
      @Sebastián Hello Sebastian,

      We publish all comments we receive and answer them within 24 hours. Our comment system automatically sends you an e-mail when your comment is published and another one when I or someone else replies to it. So, I’m not sure what went wrong, but am happy that you got my replies now.

      Anyway, yes, you are allowed to leave the country. As you wrote that you are in Peru for only 2 semesters, you might not get the Calidad Migratoria de Formación Residente (resident student visa) which is reserved for students who study in Peru long-term (more than a year), but only the Calidad Migractoria de Formación Temporal (temporary student visa) which is intended for foreigners staying short-term (up to a year) in Peru. Anyway, in both cases you get a foreigner ID (as resident student you get the carné de extranjería; as temporary student you get the carné temporal migratorio) and can be out of Peru for up to 183 days per year but must be back in the country before your temporary or resident visa expires otherwise your visa is (in most cases) null and void.

      When you leave Peru for vacation, just show your carné and passport to the immigration officer; the same when you return to Peru.

    • This commment is unpublished.
      Sebastian · 07/10/2022
      Eva! Thank you! This is great. So, yes, I got an email saying that my comment was posted, I just checked, searching for LimaEasy, even in my spam folder, and it looks like I'm not getting one when you reply. Thanks for responding so quickly again!
  • This commment is unpublished.
    Max · 30/05/2022
    Hi, Eva! Thank you very much for this great article. It's the best on the Internet on this topic.

    I’d like to learn Spanish in Lima for 2 years in order to get a citizeship after that. And I have a master degree. And I wonder, should I take my master diploma with apostile or no? Also, I am not sure, if I need my secondary school diploma with apostile? Can you, please, tell me if I need to get these two diplomas with me to Peru. Will I need them both? Or may be just a master diploma is enough? Or none of them?
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 30/05/2022
      @Max Hello Max,

      Thank you so much for the praise. What a great way to start a new week.

      It seems you have a solid plan, but I fear it might not work out as you have planned. I could be wrong, but as far as I interpret the regulations, students can’t get the Peruvian nationality by naturalization.

      Have a look into the Ley de Nacionalidad 26574 article 3b. There you find that foreigners who want to apply for the Peruvian nationality by naturalization have to “exercise a profession, art, trade or business (“Ejercer regularmente profesión, arte, oficio o actividad impresarial.”); there are a couple of exceptions from this rule, for example, for foreign spouses of Peruvians and professional athletes, but as far as I could find not for students. As you are not allowed to work in Peru on a student visa, you can’t fulfil this requirement. You could, of course, apply for a work permit, but I’m not sure if this will be accepted.

      The Nationality Law is from 1996, but still valid even though it was updated many times. The latest update was last year with the Supreme Decree 002-2021-INM but, as far as I know, article 3 was never changed.

      Additionally, check out above mentioned Supreme Decree article 9 (page 35 of the pdf which is page 53 of the document). There you find the current requirements to apply for the Peruvian nationality by naturalization: among them 2 years of legal residency in the country and proof of at least 10 UITs monthly income (in 2022 that’s S/ 46,000 per month). Starting with “h” requirements are listed according to the migratory status. Unfortunately, there the student visa isn’t mentioned.

      And if you check the government website, there as well the only visa types that seem to be able to apply for the Peruvian nationality by naturalization are work visa (dependent or independent), religious visa and investor visa; additionally, you can get the Peruvian nationality by marriage or if you are an athlete.

      So, before doing anything else, best check with Migraciones or a Peruvian consulate, if it’s even possible to get the Peruvian nationality by naturalization if you lived in Peru on a student visa.

      To answer your actual questions: I don’t know, what exactly your plans are, so giving advice on which documents you need is difficult. You should have your Master Decree with Apostille with you; if you don’t need it for getting into a university or language school, you might need it later, for example, when applying for a job. I can’t imagine that the university (or language school) where you learn Spanish wants to see your general school qualification for university entrance, but who knows, best to ask there. But you should take your birth certificate with Apostille with you, depending where you study, this might be requested.

    • This commment is unpublished.
      Max · 02/06/2022
      @Sunflower Hello, Eva! Thank you very much for you kind and very detailed reply… I am exceedingly grateful. Oooh, your information is a little bit dissapointing(. Because I was sure that if I were a student for 2 years in Peru that would be considered as 2 years of legal residency for naturalization purposes. This is exactly what lots of other websites on the Internet is claiming. Also they write that you need $1000 monthly income (not $12 000). I know that most of the information on the Internet is disinformation(… Thank you very much!..
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 02/06/2022
      @Max Hello Max,

      As mentioned above that's how I see the situation. Best contact a Peruvian consulate or Migraciones to see what they have to say. I could be wrong and there is a way.

      And the US$ 1000 is necessary if you apply for a retirement visa.


  • This commment is unpublished.
    Victor · 20/05/2022
    Hello, I'm in the process of getting a student visa for 12 months. Is there any precedent of getting the visa while on an expired tourist visa? I'll be entering Peru from Canada. My apostilla equivalent will require several months to be completed - I'll have the documents for our lawyer while 2-3 months overstaying in Peru. Thank you in advance
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 20/05/2022
      @Victor Hello Victor

      Did I understand correctly? You are in Canada at the moment but will come to Peru on a tourist visa. As getting a document with Apostille takes quite some time you will be overstaying your tourist visa and then being in Peru on an expired visa want to apply for a student resident visa once you have the document?

      The problem is that you can only “apply” for your resident visa, the correct term is “change your immigration status” in your case from tourist to resident formación, when you are still on a valid visa (for example tourist visa) in Peru. So, as soon as your tourist visa expires, you are not only illegally in the country, but you usually can not change to a resident visa. And no, there is no easy to get “inbetween” visa to bridge the time from when your tourist visa expires, and you get the document enabling you to apply for your resident visa.

      The only thing you could do, is leave Peru before your tourist visa expires, re-enter and hope you get another 30, 60 or even 90 days; but you might only get a week or two.


  • This commment is unpublished.
    Max · 16/05/2022
    Hello, thank you for this extremely helpful article.

    Do you you know if they ask for a Birth Certificate either when you applying for a long term student visa or for a peruvian passport?

    Thank you in advance for your reply.
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 16/05/2022
      @Max Hello Max,

      A birth certificate is not on the requirement list for applying for student resident visa in Peru. However, most universities ask for one when you enroll. Be aware that if you are not Peruvian, the birth certificate needs an Apostille (or, if the country didn’t sign the Apostille Convention has to be legalized) which only can be done in the country it was issued, and if it’s not in Spanish, has to be translated by a certified translator in Peru.

      Your question about the Peruvian passport leaves me a bit confused. You only get a Peruvian passport if one of your parents is Peruvian, you were born in Peru, or you got the Peruvian nationality by naturalization. But if you are Peruvian, you don’t need to apply for a student visa. Once your visa application is approved, you apply for the so-called carné de extranjería for which you do not need a birth certificate.

      Anyway, to answer your question about needing a birth certificate when applying for a Peruvian passport, no, for the passport application the Peruvian birth certificate is not necessary. But you need your DNI and if you apply for your DNI for the first time, yes you need your Peruvian birth certificate or if you got your Peruvian nationality by naturalization your foreign birth certificate and your naturalization documents.

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Em · 08/12/2021
    Hi I don't require visa for 90 days as I am a Japanese citizen. Am I able to study during those time? If I need to apply for a student visa, am I able to change student visa to tourist visa after study period finishes?
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 08/12/2021

      It depends on for how long, what and where you study, if you must apply for a student visa or not. As you seem to plan studying only for a short time in Peru, you should get in contact with the Peruvian university, educational institution or the organization of your exchange program where you plan to study.

      And no, in case you have a temporary student visa let's say for 3 months, you can not switch to a tourist visa once the student visa is expired and you can not get another 90 days.


    • This commment is unpublished.
      AB · 09/11/2022
      @Sunflower Hello,

      In the article, it says the 90 day temporary student visa can be extended, but your comment, and I think the Migraciones website, says that it cannot.

      Can you clarify? Can you chain multiple 90 day student visas together?
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 09/11/2022
      @AB Hello AB,

      I'm not sure in which comment I wrote that you can't extend a temporary student visa. In the comment above, I wrote that you can't switch from a temporary student visa to a tourist visa / stay as a tourist.

      Anyway, yes, as described above in our article, you can extend a temporary student visa. See, for example, the current TUPA, the administrative procedures Migraciones uses, page 101 or attached screenshot.

    • This commment is unpublished.
      AB · 09/11/2022
      @Sunflower Interesting. I was looking at this website: https://www.gob.pe/12918-solicitud-de-visa-temporal-segun-calidad-migratoria-solicitar-calidad-migratoria-temporal-por-formacion

      Maybe it only applies to exchanges and internships?

    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 10/11/2022
      @AB Hello AB,

      On the link you provided from the government website, which was last updated August 4, 2021 (see at the bottom of the page), you find the following:

      “El plazo de permanencia para estudios es de 365 días prorrogables y para intercambios o prácticas son 90 días no prorrogables.”

      So, in English: The length of stay for studies is 365 days extendable and for exchange (students) or internships 90 days non-extendable.

      As long as I can remember and this is many, many years, these were the rules regarding the allowed length of stay for temporary students.

      So, I was surprised to read in the new TUPA, which was published in July 2022, that now the length of stay for temporary students seems to be only 90 days (no difference anymore between students and interns) which can be extended for the same time. (“El plazo de la permanencia es de noventa (90) días. Se aplica prórroga por el mismo plazo”).

      I’m not sure if this is a mistake, and they just forgot to differentiate between students and interns or if these are really the new rules. The TUPA can be considered as official "work instructions" determining how Migraciones is supposed to execute the immigration law. So, they should be correct.


Peru Event Calendar

Latest Content...

Latest Video

Maria Reiche - Memories

Maria Reiche - Memories

Submitted by: Tintin
05 December 2021

Long Reads...

  • Peruvian Archaeology

    The Mystery of the Nazca Lines in Peru

    In the 1920s, when people first flew across southern Peru, they made an astonishing discovery. Stretching below them,…
  • Peruvian Personalities & Founders

    Francisco Pizarro González (1474-1541)

    Francisco Pizarro, a peasant from Spain, was one of the least well-equipped conquerors in history. However, in the name…
  • Peruvian Archaeology

    The colorful Fabrics and Textiles of Peru

    Europe’s first knowledge of Peruvian textiles was acquired following the Spanish invasion of Peru in 1532, when the…
  • Peruvian Legends, Myths & Tales

    The Jeweled Frog and the Condor

    By a quiet pond, at the side of a cloud-topped mountain in Peru, lived a small green frog and his large green family.…
  • Peru Info

    Peruvian Economy

    The Peruvian economy is an emerging, social market economy highly dependent on foreign trade and classified as an upper…