Peruvian Family Visa

Peruvian Family Visa

A Guide to Peruvian Visas

Part 6

Some family members of Peruvian nationals and foreigners with a resident status in Peru have the right to a family union and can apply for a family visa, the so-called "familiar residente visa". Depending on your relation, there are several sub-visa types.

Content overview


Family visa types in Peru

Depending on your relation to the Peruvian or foreigner with resident status, there are several family visa sub-types. Relatives who can apply for a family visa are:

  • Spouses of Peruvian nationals (para el caso de casado/a peruana/o)
  • Spouses of foreigners with resident status (para el caso de casado/a con extranjera/o residente en el país)
  • Underaged children of Peruvians or foreigners with resident status (para el caso de hijos menores de edad de peruano/a o extranjero/a residente)
  • Unmarried children (18 years to 28 years and dependent on their parents) of Peruvians or foreigners with resident status (para el caso de hijo/a mayor de edad)
  • Adult children with disabilities (para el caso de hijos mayores de 18 años con discapacidad)
  • Parents of Peruvians or foreigners with a resident status that don’t have a Peruvian nationality (para el caso de padres de peruano/a o extranjero/a residente) (*)

(*) Children born on Peruvian territory to not only Peruvian but as well foreign parents are considered Peruvians. They have the right to a Peruvian birth certificate, Peruvian DNI and a Peruvian passport. While for years foreign parents couldn't get a resident family visa through their underaged Peruvian-born child, this has changed with the introduction of the 2017 immigration law and a different interpretation of the corresponding passage. Before the parents can apply for a resident family visa, the child has to be registered at Reniec and a Peruvian birth certificate and Peruvian DNI has to be issued. Be aware that unfortunately Migraciones seems to be a bit uncooperative since August 2021, and often gives foreign parents trouble when trying to apply or outright deny the application.


Legal background for a family visa application in Peru

Officially, you can apply for a family visa if you are still outside Peru or if you are already in the country, for example, as a tourist.

However, while for decades Peruvian consulates abroad handled residence visa applications from giving information and handing out the right forms to fill in, to accepting the application and, if approved, issuing the residence visa, since August 2021, the Peruvian diplomatic missions abroad only handle tourist and business visa applications and refer foreigners, who want to apply for a residence visa, to Migraciones in Peru.

So, family members of a Peruvian national or foreigner with resident status in Peru, who can enter the country visa-free (so, who don’t have to apply for a “real” tourist visa at a Peruvian consulate), should come to Peru as a tourist and then change their immigration status - make a so called Cambio de calidad migratoria (as opposed to a Solicitud de calidad migratoria if you apply from outside Peru) - at Migraciones.

Those family members who cannot enter Peru visa-free (so, who must apply for a “real” tourist visa at a Peruvian consulate), officially must apply for residency from outside Peru; a complicated, lengthy, and sometimes frustrating process. We explain in detail how it’s done in our article “Peruvian residence visa application from abroad”.

Foreign nationals who can travel to Peru visa-free, enter Peru as a tourist and then apply for their residence visa at Migraciones in Peru. However...

For foreigners planning to stay longer in Peru and to apply for a resident visa, the most important laws and regulations are the Decreto Legislativo 1350 (which only stipulates general rules), the Decreto Supremo 002-2021-IN and the TUPA. Helpful as well is to check out the Peruvian government website. All these documents are, of course, in Spanish.

While below under "Requirements for a family visa application in Peru" you find the necessary documents described in English, the official list of requirements (in Spanish) can be found, for example, in the Decreto Supremo 002-2021-IN on page 44, in article 89-B “Procedimiento administrativo de cambio de calidad migratoria por la de familiar residente” on page 44.


Requirements for a family visa application in Peru

As the family visa has quite a number of sub-visa types, find below the general requirements. Be aware that Migraciones has the right to request other and/or additional documents at any time.

Required documents to apply for a family visa include:

  • Form PA - Cambio de Calidad Migratoria
  • Interpol clearance - Ficha de canje internacional not older than 6 months (see below)
  • Receipt for paid application fee (code Migraciones 07568; concept Cambio de calidad migratoria por la de familiar residente, S/.162.50 in 2023)
  • Passport
  • Antecedentes policiales, penales y judiciales (Police clearance certificate, criminal record and judicial matters check) issued in the country of origin and, if the applicant lived in another country before coming to Peru, in the country of residence covering the last 5 years (exception minors) (*) (***)
  • Up-to-date DNI of the Peruvian family member with correct family address, correct marital status and no pending election fees or up-to-date carné de extranjería of the foreigner with resident status
  • Official document that proves the family tie: i.e. marriage certificate (**) if the applicant is married to a Peruvian or foreigner with resident status; birth certificate (***) if the applicant is the child or parent of a Peruvian, but not Peruvian himself or of a foreigner with resident status
  • For unmarried adult children: official certificate of being single (***) or sworn statement in which the applicant declares being unmarried in front of a Peruvian notary and, if applicable, enrollment certificate of a Peruvian educational institution
  • For children with disabilities: document proving a condition of permanent disability and the need for parent’s care (***)
  • "Recibo" (water or electricity bill proving your address)

Explanatory notes for the requirements:

(*) As we get many question about the “Antecedentes policiales, penales y judiciales” we dedicated a separate article to the topic where we explain in detail what kind of document you need, where you get it and what to watch out for when applying for it.

One of the requirements to apply for a resident visa in Peru or to change your visa type, for example from a work visa to a permanent resident visa...

(**) marriage certificate
  • If you were married in Peru: recent certified copy of your marriage certificate issued by Reniec (not older than 90 days)
  • If you were married abroad to a Peruvian: certified copy of your marriage certificate issued by the Peruvian consulate (not older than 180 days) - already in Peru without a recent copy? At the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores (RREE) in Lima, you can get certified copies of birth, marriage, and death certificates registered at a Peruvian consulate abroad.
  • If you were married to a foreigner abroad: marriage certificate with Apostille or, if the country in which the document was issued didn't sign the Apostille Convention (like Canada, for example) legalized by a Peruvian consulate and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Peru (not older than 6 months). Once in Peru, the document has to be translated into Spanish by a certified translator, a so-called traductor publico juramentado, and the legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
(***) birth certificate and any other document necessary
  • All foreign documents (even so-called “international” certificates) need an Apostille or, if the country in which they were issued, didn't sign the Apostille Convention (like Canada, for example) have to be legalized by a Peruvian consulate abroad and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Peru. Once in Peru, all documents, apostilled or legalized, have to be translated into Spanish by a certified translator, a so-called traductor publico juramentado. The translation then has to be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Applying for a family visa is a simple and straightforward process, but might be a little confusing here and there if you are not familiar with the process and the steps involved. Please see our walk-through below as general guidance only as requirements and processes change quickly. At least basic Spanish skills are required to fill in forms and understand instructions.


Last steps before your family visa application in Peru

Hopefully, you brought necessary documents from abroad, such as the criminal record check and - if applicable - marriage or birth certificate, and so forth, already apostilled or legalized - see requirements and (**) / (***) above. Once in Peru, these have to be translated by a certified translator in Peru, a so-called traductor publico juramentado. You find lists of these government-approved translators on the Peruvian government website. Just click under point 3 on the language of your original document and the list of translators for your language appears. The translation then has to be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (RREE) in Lima or a RREE branch in the provinces.

And before you can even start the family visa application process, you first have to get the so-called “Ficha de Canje Internacional” from Interpol in Peru. Find a detailed description of how it’s done in our article “Interpol - Ficha de Canje Internacional”.

All foreigners must present the "Ficha de Canje Internacional" to Migraciones when changing their immigration status either from a temporary visa o...

Once you have the Ficha and all documents together, pay the fee of S/ 162.50 for the Migraciones administrative procedure “Cambio de Calidad Migratoria” under code 07568 with concepto "Familar de residente". As you already paid the Interpol fee, you know how the systems works, otherwise check again in our article "Paying administration charges and processing fees in Peru".

All administration charges, processing fees and fines government agencies, public authorities and entities levy in Peru have to be paid at the Banc...

And last but not least, make PDFs from your passport (page with your personal data and entry stamp), and from all other required documents.

Finally, the time has come to apply for your family visa. Be aware that in case you need to leave the country during the application process you have to apply for a special travel permit (Permiso especial de viaje, officially as well called Autorización de estadía fuera del país) before you leave the country, otherwise your application is null and void.

Foreigners in Peru who applied for a visa - to be precise who applied for a change of their immigration status (cambio de calidad migratoria) or a ...

Please note that you have to be in the country on a valid visa (for example, a tourist visa or "authorization to enter as a tourist") when applying for your family visa in Peru.


Step-by-step guide to apply for a family visa in Peru

Please note: When the new online application platform Agencia Digital was introduced in August 2021, below described application process only worked (and still works) for spouses of Peruvian nationals (para el caso de casado/a peruana/o) and for spouses of foreigners with resident status (para el caso de casado/a con extranjera/o residente en el país). Shortly afterwards, adult children with disabilities (para el caso de hijos mayores de 18 años con discapacidad) and underaged children of Peruvians or foreigners with resident status (para el caso de hijos menores de edad de peruano/a o extranjero/a residente) were added; sometimes the application works for them on the Agencia Digital, sometimes not. If not, and for all other family visa types, please contact Migraciones through the Agencia Digital (either use the chat / phone function or make an appointment under Citas en linea, Informes) for information about the application process.

And another remark before we start: The Agencia Digital is in Spanish only. We highly recommend to not using a translation program which automatically translates the page from Spanish to your preferred language to avoid system errors. Additionally, often translation programs have difficulties "understanding" the bureaucratic language used by Migraciones which results in translations that don't make any sense or are more difficult for you to understand than the Spanish original. If you can't understand the one or other field, enter the description for this field in a translator. If you still can't make sense of it, feel free to leave a comment below and we try our best to explain what to fill in. And to avoid further system errors, we highly recommend to not using a VPN and switching off any ad blockers you might use.

Once you have done all the preparation work, open the Migraciones Agencia Digital and click on Entrar.

On the next page, select "Extranjero". Then choose in the drop-down menu the document with which you entered Peru (most probably passport), enter your passport number, your birthdate, nationality, the date you entered Peru and the captcha. Click on Verificar.

No matter which forms you fill out in Peru, always enter your personal data exactly (!!!) as in your passport!

Now you are on the main page of the Agencia Digtal. Here you can either use the search field or find in the menu on the left under “Cambio de Calidad Migratoria” the points:

  • Familiar Residente: Casado con peruano(a) o extranjero(a) residente (resident family married to a Peruvian or foreign resident)
  • Familiar Residente: hijos(as) adultos con dispacidad (resident family adult children with disabilities)
  • hopefully as well Familiar Residente: hijo/a menor de edad (resident family underage children).

Choose the one that applies and proceed to the next page.

1st page of the family visa application

Here, you first have to select the Migraciones branch which should handle your application (for example, Lima, Cusco, Arequipa, …). In the second field, you must enter a “data update code” which you most probably don’t have. Below this field is a quite small link.

Click on it and and you are re-directed to the Sistema de Actualizacion de Datos page. Choose Option 2. On the next page fill in your nationality, select the document with which you entered Peru (most probably passport), enter your passport number, and your birth date, select your gender and enter the captcha; you can leave the field with the "preinscription code" blank. Then you get to a quite extensive questionnaire.

Data update questionnaire

Be aware that you only have 1 hour to complete the questionnaire and as the system doesn’t save your information, even though there is an option to save, once you started you must finish it within an hour otherwise all your progress is gone, and you have to start from scratch. The questions are quite unorganized and partly a bit strange, so to give you an idea what questions you have to answer and might need to prepare for here an overview:

In the first two categories, you have to fill in your personal data including full name (as in your passport!), document with which you entered Peru, document number, gender, marital status, country of birth, if you have a criminal, police or judicial record, if you are pregnant.

The third category asks for your address in Peru, your e-mail address, cell phone number and landline phone number. Here you must upload a “recibo”, so a water or electricity bill to prove that you live at that address. The recibo doesn't have to be in your name, just must show the correct address.

Then you are asked for the information of an emergency contact, including ID, name and e-mail of your emergency contact. This is followed by questions about your employment situation and where you were born (continent, country, town).

In the next category, you have to enter your hair and eye color, height in meters, weight in kilograms, religion, marital status, date of marriage, vaccinations and if you have a disability or disease. You are then asked if you arrived in Peru alone or if someone was accompanying you. If so, you must enter the personal data (passport number, name, last name, birthdate) of that person. Now you are asked if you have lived in other countries previously and in which country before coming to Peru, when you last entered Peru, how you came to Peru (plane, bus, car).

The last questions check your living conditions (are you living in a house, number of rooms, accommodation connected to water, sewage, electricity, and internet), ask for some financial info (bank accounts in Peru or other countries, shares or stock in Peru, bank loans in Peru) and want to know if you have a car and a driver’s license in Peru or other country.

As soon as you have completed the last page of the questionnaire, the system accepts all your answers and sends the data update code to your e-mail.

You made it!

Back to the 1st page of the family visa application

Now fill in the data update code and click on Siguente.

2nd page of the family visa application

Here you must fill in some data and/or upload all for the family visa application necessary documents as PDF.

Those who just want to verify the requirements or double check if the requirements have changed can do so on this page. Then just click through the tabs but do not upload any documents and do not click on Siguente; once you finished just leave the page.

To continue with your family visa application, click on the little arrows next to each requirement, and certain fields appear depending on the requirement. Just fill in the fields as requested and upload the corresponding document.

Under “Pago por derecho de tramite” you are asked to enter certain information of the bank receipt. If you don't know where to find the requested bank information on your receipt, click on the question mark.

Under the Interpol tab, you must upload the Ficha de Canje from Interpol and the criminal record check you brought from home. Be aware that both fields are mandatory, and you can’t continue without having uploaded both documents.

Under the next tab, you must upload the document proving your family ties (for example, your marriage certificate).

Next, you must enter the DNI number of the Peruvian part of the family or the Carné number of the foreign resident you are related to.

And finally, fill in the required information of your passport and upload a copy.

There is one last tab “Exceso de permanencia” (excess stay) which suggests that foreigners in Peru who overstayed their time as a tourist can apply for a family visa and just have to upload a payment receipt for their overstayed days and a sworn statement explaining the reasons for their overstay. As far as we know, this tab does not apply when you change your immigration status from tourist to family. You must be in Peru on a valid tourist “visa” to apply for any resident visa. This was confirmed by a Peruvian immigration lawyer and finally as well by Migraciones (November 2022). According to Migraciones, the only option for those who overstayed their time as a tourist and want to get a residence permit is to regularize their status and apply for the so-called CPP (Carné de permiso temporal de permanencia). As you can’t always trust the replies you get from Migraciones, we stay on that topic. If you have any other information about this topic, please let us know.

Once you uploaded all your documents, click on Siguente.

3rd page of the family visa application

You then get to a page showing the fields of the Form PA - Cambio de Calidad Migratoria already (partly) filled in. If and where necessary and/or possible, complete the fields and check that all information is 100% correct. Then download and/or print the form (if downloading isn't possible, make a screenshot of the complete page)!!!

At the bottom, under the signature / fingerprint field, the "fecha de publicacion" (application date) and a "codigo de verificaion" (verification code) are shown. If you later want to check the status of your application online, which can be done here or if you, for example, want to apply for a travel permit to leave the country while the approval of your application is still in process, you will need this code. Additionally, you as well find your login data for the bozon electronico (see below) at the bottom of the page.

Then print the page, sign and fingerprint it, and keep it safe until you pick up your carné.

If you didn't print the page when you had the chance during your application, retrieving especially your verifiaction code is nearly impossible. But as you will need the PA form when picking up your carné you can download the Form PA - Cambio de Calidad Migratoria on the government website, fill it in, sign and fingerprint it, and bring this with you when you pick up your carné.

4th page of the family visa application

You now get to a page "Registro de Solicitud de Cambio de Calidad Migratoria" where you are asked to make an appointment for having your biometrical data (photo, fingerprints, signature) taken with a provided code. This code is your numero de expediente (file number). It consists of 2 letters (usually some abbreviation of the Migraciones office where you applied; LM for Lima, for example; or CY for Chiclayo, etc.) and 9 numbers. Download and or print the page and keep it safe. Once you leave this page, you can't return to it. And if you haven't saved your file number, it's a nightmare to retrieve it.

As waiting times sometimes can be long, especially in Lima, we suggest following provided link and make the appointment immediately. If you want to make it at a later time, you can enter the Agencia Digital and make an appointment under "Citas en Linea", subpoint "para registro de datos biometricos".

Buzon Electronico

The Buzon Electronico is your personal Migraciones electronic mailbox which you should check regularly for notifications from Migraciones (for example, request to upload missing or additional documents, approval or denial of your visa application, etc.).

The username (usario) and password (contraseña) is on the PA form (see above under 3rd page). If you didn't download or print the form, you can get your login details by entering the Agencia Digital and on the main page at the top clicking on Buzon Electronico or using this direct link. Then click on ¿Olvidaste la contraseña? and you get to the "Verificacion de Datos" page. Here enter your nationality, passport, passport number, last name(s), first name(s) and your birthdate. After submitting your information by clicking on Siguiente, you get an email with the "usario" and a link to reset or create a password.


Getting your Carné (foreigner ID)

Biometrical data appointment

On the day of your biometrical data appointment, be at the office 15 - 30 minutes before your appointment with your documents (usually only your printed appointment and passport is needed, but to be prepared for any unforeseen events you may have the folder with all other documents with you). Be aware that in Lima, the biometrical data is taken at the Migraciones office on Jr. Carabaya and not at the main office in Breña. The process is quick and astonishingly well organized; you should be done in less than half an hour.

Then all you can do is check your Buzon regularly and wait until your visa is approved.

Registration in the foreigner database

As soon as your application is approved, pay the fee of S/ 49.90 on pagalo.pe under code 07561-Formulario F-SPE-001 for the registration in the foreigner database and issuance of the carné under concepto "Expedición del carné de extranjeria".

Then once again enter the Agencia Digtal to do the online registration under “Inscr. Reg. central extranjeria”. As before, just follow the steps as indicated. Check that all information is correct. At the end, you get a confirmation which you should download and/or print and keep safe.

Picking up your carné at Migraciones

Then make an appointment on the Agencia Digital under “Citas en linea”, subpoint "para recojo de documentos" to pick up your carné. Once again, download and/or print the confirmation and keep it safe.

On the day of your appointment, arrive at Migraciones 15 - 30 minutes early. Take your passport, all documents and receipts with you. Migraciones personal will point you in the right direction where you are handed your carné.

Congratulations! You made it!


Things you should know living in Peru on a family visa

The family visa (so the residence visa) is valid for one year, in some cases two years, and then has to be renewed. The carné (so the Peruvian foreigner ID) is usually valid for four years and then must be renewed. For more details, check out our glossary under "Carné de Extranjería - Peru’s ID Card for foreigners"

Foreigners living in Peru on a family visa have to be in the country at least 183 days per year, otherwise they lose their resident status. In case you have to be outside Peru for longer, before leaving the country, apply for the Autorización de estadía fuera del país por 183 días, and won't lose your residency.

If you are living in Peru on a family visa, you are allowed to work as an employee or independently.

If any information provided when applying for your family visa changes, Migraciones must be informed about it within 30 days. So, if you get a new passport, change your name, move to a new address, etc. you have to apply for a so-called "modificación de datos en el registro central de extranjería". Be aware that, in some cases, a new carné has to be issued after the application is approved.

Even though not always enforced, if you as a foreigner living in Peru on a family visa want to leave the country for short or extended periods of time, for example, to go on holidays you must present a tax form before being allowed to leave Peru. If you didn't have any earnings or other income in Peru, you must present the so-called “Declaración jurada de haber realizado actividades que no impliquen la generación de rentas de fuente peruana” at immigrations before you are allowed to leave. So, just download Formulario 1495, fill it in, sign it and show it to the immigration officer when leaving Peru. If you, however, had any kind of income as independent or dependent worker in Peru, you must present the so-called "Certificado de Rentas y Retenciones" at immigrations before you are allowed to leave. This form is issued by your employer, who confirms that the income tax corresponding to your earnings was retained according to the Peruvian tax legislation. The physical form, Formulario 1492, is rarely used anymore. Instead, your employer or client has to enter his/her Sunat Virtual and fill in the Formulario Virtual 1692°, then print and sign it and give it to you. The form expires 30 days after it was filed with Sunat; so, you must leave Peru within these 30 days. If you work independently, receive an income from Peruvian sources and pay your income tax directly to Sunat, you have to fill in Formulario 1494 “Declaración jurada de haber pagado directamente el impuesto”, sign it, attach a receipt proving you paid your income tax and present it at immigrations before leaving.

Those having received the family visa through marriage with a Peruvian or foreign resident of Peru can get the Peruvian nationality, apply for a so-called Nacionalización por matrimonio, after having legally lived in Peru for at least two years.

If you don't want to get the Peruvian nationality or can't because your home country doesn't allow dual nationality, after three years of legal residency in Peru on a family visa, you can apply for a permanent resident visa - make a so-called Cambio de calidad migratoria a permanente residente (Familiar Residente); no more extensions and an indefinite residency (and the good thing for relatives of Peruvians or foreigners with a resident status, no proof of own income is necessary).

And finally, if you as a foreigner living in Peru on a family visa, are leaving Peru permanently, you have to cancel your residence visa. Once the application is approved, you have 15 days to exit the country.


We from LimaEasy are not the Peruvian immigration authority Migraciones or a Peruvian consulate. All information is published to our best knowledge and should be seen as general guidance introducing you to Peruvian procedures. All information is subject to change, as regulations, requirements, and processes can change quickly without prior notice! Therefore, we recommend checking the current regulations with the nearest Peruvian consulate or, if you are already in Peru, with Migraciones!

And if you find something wrong on this page, please help us to keep this guide as up to date as possible and contact us either below with a comment or use our contact form. Thank you!

Say something here...
characters left
or post as a guest
All comments are being moderated before publishing and will appear below within 24 hours.
Loading comment... The comment will be refreshed after 00:00.
  • This commment is unpublished.
    Mark · 10/01/2023
    Hello, thankyou for all the useful information. I was wondering if you knew of any minimum amount of time needed to be married to be able to apply for the visa familiar casado (con Peruana). We were married in December in Australia (in 2022), and were hoping to apply for the family visa asap. We just talked to someone from immigraciones who told us we had to be married for at least 2 years before applying. This is different to everyone else we had talked to previously who suggested there was no minimum amount of time. Any help greatly appreciated. None of those requirements appear anywhere in the online system as far as I can see.
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 10/01/2023
      @Mark Hello Mark,

      There is no minimum time you have to be married to a Peruvian before you can apply for a family visa in Peru.

      So, I wonder who “immigraciones” is. Migraciones in Peru? A Peruvian consulate? Someone else in Australia?

      Anyway, assuming you are Australian, you can come to Peru as a tourist without having to apply for a tourist visa and usually get 90 days. Once in Peru, you then can apply for the family visa at Migraciones. The three months you have as tourist seem to be a long time, but there’s lots to do to get you to the point where you can apply, so you should come prepared.

      The most important document you need (next to your criminal record check with Apostille) is your (Peruvian) marriage certificate.

      If you haven’t done it already, you either can register your marriage at a Peruvian consulate and there get the Peruvian marriage certificate (make sure it’s legalized by the Peruvian consulate) or you get a copy of your Australian marriage certificate, get it apostilled in Australia and after your Peruvian wife returned to Peru, it must be translated and overlegalized by the Peruvian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then your wife can register your marriage at RENIEC with no problem within 30 days after she entered the country. Once this is done, she can easily get a current Peruvian marriage certificate needed for the family visa application.

      Then you just have to follow above explained steps.

      If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me again.


  • This commment is unpublished.
    Shel · 20/12/2022
    Hi. Could you elaborate on the second sentence of the following statement from the article? What sort of trouble? What reasons provided for denial? Would an immigration lawyer be able to facilitate this? Do you have a list of such lawyers? Thank you in advance for any additional insight you can provide.

    "Before the parents can apply for a resident family visa, the child has to be registered at Reniec and a Peruvian birth certificate and Peruvian DNI has to be issued. Be aware that unfortunately Migraciones seems to be a bit uncooperative since August 2021, and often gives foreign parents trouble when trying to apply or outright deny the application."
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 20/12/2022
      @Shel Hello Shel,

      before 2017, foreign parents of underage Peruvian children could not apply for residency (family visa) based on their child. This changed with the introduction of the new foreigner law in 2017 and a different interpretation of some regulations. Quite a few foreigners applied for a family visa based on their child. No problem.

      However, since August 2021, it seems that the interpretation of the law changed again and Migraciones wouldn’t allow foreign parents to apply for a family visa based on their Peruvian child. The option is still in the foreigner law, but I heard more than once that Migraciones simply gives parents who apply for the visa (you can’t apply online but must do so in person at a Migraciones office) a hard time, for example, rejects documents, asks for some document that doesn’t exist or outright tells the parents that this visa option is no longer available or only available for certain nationalities.

      If you want to try applying for the family visa based on your underage child, either make first an appointment at Migraciones for “Informes”, ask for the exact requirements and how the process works and go from there or get a good immigration lawyer on your case, who might (or not) be able to help you.

    • This commment is unpublished.
      Shel · 20/12/2022
      @Sunflower Thank you Eva. I wonder if they would be more receptive of a Filipina mother from a Spanish speaking region of the Philippines, given the shared history. Sounds like we need to speak with a well connected immigration attorney. Thank you very much for the elaboration. We would really like to purchase land and live in Peru, but if it is not possible then we will go for Mexico instead where I already have residency.
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 21/12/2022
      No, I doubt that Migraciones is more accessible based on shared history. Sorry.

      But if you aren't in Peru already, why don't you get in contact with a Peruvian consulate who might (or not) be able to help?

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Leta · 21/11/2022

    Thank you for the offer of further assistance. As of now we are waiting for the response from their review. What I anticipate is perhaps a two week reply and a 10 day notice to comply and a 30 business day extension all of which should be giving enough time for the Apostille to arrive and get certified translation. I spoke to several translation companies and they do this regularly : official and certified translations. They turn it around quickly within a couple of days. Hopefully that is all we need. Thanks again. Is the 30 bus day extension added to the 10 days or should we wait until the 10 days is near up before applying for the extension as we want every day we can get. 
  • This commment is unpublished.
    Mikayla · 14/11/2022
    I was wondering what happens if they deny my application for some reason (Such as not submitting the right documents in time, etc.).  Will I have to pay all the overstay fees if I have to leave the country after overstaying my tourist visa? 
    (long back story)
     I got married in March was given till July for my tourist Visa. I then submitted all the necessary documents except for the one from the FBI because my time was running out, and I knew I could get an extension. I then made the appointment to get my biometrics done. I went to that appointment in August, and they said that my application was accepted and to make an appointment online in 10 days to pick up my Carnet. Thus, I did not think I had to give them my FBI clearance. I received it unapositlled right before that appointment.

    I waited 10 days but it would not allow me to make an appointment online. So we went and asked at the office in person. They could not help me and said it had to be made online and to just wait longer. So we did, and still, we could not make an appointment to pick up my card.

     By September, we still had no notifications in my Buzon electronico or any way to make the appointment. We've tried calling them on the phone and on the online chat help But can NEVER receive an answer. We have gone in person MANY times but they will NOT help us without an appointment but it won't let me make any appointment and they just don't understand that the online platform for me is just broken or something. So we kept trying and waiting. 

    Finally, in October I received a notice saying I need to submit the FBI judicial clearance. But it said it was sent in August though it WAS NOT! I received the email in October and have screenshots for proof. But because they told me everything was accepted at my biometrics appointment, I had not submitted the document. 

    The thing is, I submitted the document from Interpol to the FBI and paid an extra fee, and filled out an extra form for them to apostille it for me. They did not because that office no longer forwards things for apostille. So I didn't bother sending it back and paying another $100 to mail it back to the US when they told me my application was accepted, and everything was finished and ready to pick up. 

    But now I have sent it in and waiting for the apostilled document back, asked for the 30 day extension, and am again waiting.

    So now I have overstayed my tourist visa for 4 or 5 months because I was waiting for this process to be done. And I knew that leaving while it was in the process would void it. So I didn't leave. But what happens if they reject me for the delays etc.? Will I have to pay all the overstay fees if I have to leave the country? Or what happens if I cancel the application and move out of the country after being here for so long. Just a little concerned about how hard and long this ended up being.
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 14/11/2022
      @Mikayla Hello Mikayla,

      After reading your comment, I’m lost for words. Sorry for being blunt, but you messed up, big time. You made absolute chaos out of a simple and straightforward process with clear requirements and honestly, I don’t know if anything can be done to straighten this out.

      First of all, yes, you can leave during your resident visa application is in process. You just have to apply for a travel permit (see above under “Last steps before your family visa application in Peru” the last point) which allows you to leave Peru for a maximum of 30 days while your application is in process.

      Then, once you applied on the Agencia Digital and you received the confirmation of your resident visa application, time stops. So, even if your tourist visa / stay as a tourist expires you don’t become illegal (in Peru it’s called “irregular”) and you don’t have to pay any overstay fees for the time your application is in process.

      And even though you already had your biometrical data appointment, this does not mean that your resident visa is already approved, no matter what you were told. Migraciones will only issue the carné if your resident visa is approved, which they can only do if you submit all (!!!) required documents, which you didn’t.

      Another thing, you submitted the Interpol document to the FBI? Which document from Interpol? The Ficha de canje? This has nothing to do with the FBI Criminal Record Check which is done in the US by the Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

      Anyway, for me the big question is if your resident visa application still is in process. So, you received a notification in which Migraciones requested that you submit your criminal record check with Apostille. How much time did they give you to upload the document? At that point, you should have reacted immediately (even if you got the notice late)! Never ever trust anyone telling you something. You got a written request and should have replied in writing. Back then, you could have asked for an extension of the deadline they gave you; now it’s too late for that. Usually in the notification they as well tell you that if you don’t react and don’t upload the missing document at the end of your deadline, your application is automatically canceled. You are then additionally required to leave the country. If you don’t do it, they can send you a “salida obligatoria” (obligatory departure) notice. Did you get something like this?

      Anyway, the first thing you must check with Migraciones if your visa application is still valid or if they have already canceled it.

      So, there is no way around making an appointment on the Agencia Digital under “Citas en linea” and “Informes”. You must (!!!!) speak to someone at Migraciones. It’s strange that neither this seems to work nor the chat on the Agencia Digital nor the phone number. Yes, sometimes it is difficult to reach Migraciones, but we are talking about months that you tried. So, probably clear the cache and browsing history of your browser, or use another browser, try it from another device and best a computer. I know quite a few people who hadn’t had any problems making an appointment online over the past weeks, while the chat seems to be very, very difficult to reach.

      The problem is, if they canceled your resident visa application, you are supposed to leave the country and you must pay the overstay fine from the date of the cancelation of your resident visa application (or the date Migraciones gave you until which you have to leave) until the day you leave.

      In case Migraciones didn’t already cancel your application, you might have a chance to put things right. However, as the requirements stipulate, you need your record check with an Apostille and translated by a certified translator in Peru. No way around it and surely not the place to save money.

      Anyway, your first step now is speaking to someone at Migraciones, finding out what the status of your application is and, if it’s not canceled yet, probably even getting the name of the person at Migraciones handling your application. Beg for an appointment with this person, explain your case to him/her (no attitude, no finger pointing, otherwise you have lost already; be nice, friendly, accept all the blame, apologize, whatever, even though it’s difficult and unfair) and hope he/she gives you the option to hand in your record check as soon you have it.

      If you can’t manage to get an appointment on your own, your best chance is to contact an immigration lawyer and hope that he can straighten things out for you.

      Wishing you all the best.


    • This commment is unpublished.
      Mikayla Smith · 17/11/2022
      @Sunflower Thanks, I did submit the extension application immediately. And the thing is the record check I got back from the fbi took 2 months to arrive (not sure why it's faster for some people). And I'm currently still waiting for the apostilled document back. Once I receive it I just need to translate it and submit it. I have not received any other notice that it's been canceled or even that my extension was approved. However, we sent an email and did the extension on the platform. We got a response to that email saying to do it on the platform and it will be fine. Which we did. I finally got an informe appointment and will attend that with my questions. Hopefully my document will come back by then. Thank you for your quick response. 
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 17/11/2022
      @Mikayla Smith
      Wow, great news. Hope everything works out and you finally get your resident visa approved and your carné issued.

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Leta · 12/11/2022

    Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. It couldn't have come at a better time as I am planning to upload the docs the day before my visa expires next week even though I don't have the Apostille. Anxiety has been much reduced with your hopeful information as I expect the Apostille in 45 days approximately. I actually have my very official looking one page FBI background check with insignias etc and I decided to have it certified in Lima by a translation company without the Apostille for now. I figured it would show good efforts and establish a relationship with the translator for quick turnaround when needed later. You mention "translation and legalization by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs up to two weeks ---- is that the requirement or can any Peruvian firm offering Certified/Official translations accomplish the task...if so I emailed a dozen and found several that would do the one page in 1 to 2 days for a range of 120-175 soles.

    To summarize the possible timeline from what I have understood: after hopefully maybe as much as 30+ days!!! I will receive an e-notification request on their portal to upload additional required docs within 10 working days. (that is already the 45 days I need!!). I can try to find it online but otherwise I will go to Migraciones and ask for the hardcopy that is an extension for filing any required missing docs .....as much as 30 working days!!!! From the day we submit there may be as much as 12 weeks time to obtain the Apostille. I just got an email that said it's between 6 and 8 weeks but has been as much as 10 weeks to obtain from time of submission. We started 2 weeks ago but with the holiday season ahead I like the sound of 12 weeks!!! 

    In addition, after uploading the missing doc it may take two weeks for their review at which time they may find (intentional or not) something missing which would keep the process open and in review while matters are cleared up for at least some additional time. All the while the tourist visa has expired after the initial application. WOW....I am breathing deep at the moment and less dependent on the US State Department!

    You have mentioned "additional requirements" be they small stuff....and now my curiosity has peaked as I found the website thus far clear in terms of the requirements which are listed on Lima Easy. The website list has 5 documents to upload as follows:
    1. payment receipt for processing (paid to pagalo - great online system) (upload #1)
    2. interpol exchange sheet:
    a. Fecha de Canje Internacional (upload #2)
    b. FBI background check (for USA) (upload #3)
    3. Link Document --- marriage certificate (re-certified within 90 days of application) (upload #4)
    4. Spouses DNI card number (showing married, correct address and no outstanding fees)
    5. Info fill in and Copy of Passport (upload #5)

    I haven't seen the page or pages that follow that input page but I understand it has the PA form filled in--- does that get downloaded and signed/fingerprinted and then uploaded??
    Are there any other forms or details for a spouse application? We had prepared a spousal sworn statement but we don't see that it is yet required? We had previously uploaded (during the online questionnaire) a copy of our electric bill.

    Thank you so much for sharing.

    • This commment is unpublished.
      Rianne · 19/11/2022
      @Leta Hi Leta,

      I am so happy to hear that my sharing was useful for you! I feel warmth, knowing that my experience (it literally felt like a marathon sometimes...) can benefit some other people who are currently in the process. 

      In general, the thing I learned is: this is Perú. Things work differently than in 'the West'. Assessors hold some kind of personal power in making additional requirements (just because they can). In addition - in an attempt to prevent fraud with official documents there are some extra required steps that add more days to obtain an accepted FBI document. Just to gice an idea: my 1 page Dutch 'FBI document' (front and back) turned out to be a 10 page upload for Migraciones to pass all the official requirements. 

      I would be happy to give answers to your questions, and at the same time I value interaction, connection and efficiency. What I would like to offer is to contact me on Whatsapp:  ‪+51 XXX‬ XXX XXX. Would that work for you? (this offer is also open for other LimaEasy members with questions regarding this procedure, happy to help!).


    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 21/11/2022
      @Rianne Hello Rianne,

      thank you so much again for sharing your experience and offering your help. 

      To avoid anyone spamming your WhatsApp I deleted your phone number. However, I forwarded it to Leta.

      The only thing I would like to know is, did you have to get your record check which, as you are from the Netherlands surely had an Apostille, legalized again by the Peruvian Ministry of Foreign Affairs? I thought after it's translated into Spanish it can be used without the extra legalization.

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Leta · 03/11/2022
    I see the following: If you were married in Peru: recent copy of marriage certificate issued by Reniec (not older than 90 days). My certificate is from 2018 and I have a certification dated December of 2020. Does that need to be recertified/updated?? I will be happy to soon make a PDF file of the info on Migraciones site as it will be helpful to others. 
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 03/11/2022
      @Leta Hello Leta,

      You were married in Peru and your marriage was registered with Reniec in Peru? If so, you need a “fresh” (not older than 90 days) certified copy of your marriage certificate.

      It’s an easy and quick process, if your marriage was properly registered and the certificate digitalized which should have happened when you married in 2018. Your husband must get it at Reniec (you can’t, because a DNI is needed for it).

      The easiest and quickest is to use the “Reniec ATMs”, called Modulos PVM, that are located in a few shopping malls such as Jockey Plaza. Plaza Lima Sur, Open Plaza Angamos, Real Plaza in centro, at the Reniec branches in Miraflores, San Isidro and Jesus Maria, at the Banco de la Nación branch on Jr. Lampa and I think as well at the MAC centers. Your husband just has to select “Emision de copias certificadas de partida de matrimonio” on the touch screen, then put his index finger on the field for reading fingerprints, pay S/ 12 in cash or with a Visa debit/credit card, enter required personal data (name, month and year of marriage) and the machine will immediately print a fresh copy of your Peruvian marriage certificate.

      Your husband as well can go to a Reniec branch or a MAC center to get a recent copy of your marriage certificate, but I think he then must pay the fee at a Banco de Nacion before.

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Leta · 03/11/2022
    Thanks Eva,

    Is the sworn statement a doc composed by my husband and signed without notary, fingerprint or witness or is there a form?

    I do have the update code. To be careful, can I enter the system, explore while delaying the upload of docs prior to my visa expiration date and most important exit system without causing a submittal? 

    You mentioned a 30 day extension may be available somewhere on the site. I would really like to locate that option now to make sure it will be available when needed or can I make an appointment by calling or going to Migraciones now with all my paperwork and ask directly for an extension. FBI Apostille just wrote and said it can be 6 to 9 weeks and I have 2 weeks on visa and maybe only 33 days more if I can find the extension. Cutting real close!!
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 03/11/2022
      @Leta Hello Leta,

      As mentioned above in the article under requirements, the sworn statement is no longer on the official requirement list. However, the last info I have is that it’s still needed. But as I don’t have access to the part of the Agencia Virtual where you can apply for a resident visa, including the page where you upload all necessary documents, I can’t check if you are still asked to upload it.

      Anyway, in case you still have to upload the sworn statement, your husband must declare that the relationship with you is still intact, that Peru is the mutual country of residence, and he supports you. At least until a few years ago, the sworn statement had to be issued by a notary in Peru and notaries usually had a form letter with the exact wording Migraciones accepts, on hand. But I’m sure somewhere in the depths of the government website you find a sample letter as well.

      Yes, you can enter the system and the part where you apply for your visa and carefully explore until you reach the page where all requirements are listed / where you have to upload your documents. There just scroll through the list and leave the page. Do not upload any documents! Do not confirm your application!

      As said in my reply from October 28, I don’t know if there still is an option to get a 30-day extension for uploading your missing FBI check. But I was told that the application for the extension can be done on the Agencia Virtual and there in the Mesa de Partes Virtual (at the top right). I don’t know how this tramite is called and where you find it. Best check with Migraciones, especially as even the 30-day extension might not give you enough time. So, either call them, explain your case and hope that the one talking to you knows what he is talking about; or send them a message via the Chat on the Agencia Virtual; or make an appointment on the Agencia Virtual (left menu under citas) - not sure how quick you can get one - and talk to someone in person.

      As said before, I don’t have access to this part of the Agencia Virtual, so please let me know how things are going. If you could make a screenshot of the page where you have to upload the documents or share the individual steps of the application, that would be absolutely great, so I could make this article even more detailed and lots of others could benefit.

      Wishing you all the best.

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Leta · 02/11/2022
    On the Formulario PA do I sign and fingerprint only or do I need to have it witnessed or notarized? Does the numero de expediente, fecha de pulicacion and codigo de verificacion remain blank? When the time comes to upload are there other than the 8 docs listed? My spouses DNI card shows a prior address. Does he need to get a new card before I upload?
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 02/11/2022
      @Leta Hello Leta,

      If Migraciones hasn’t changed anything (which they love to do), the Form PA - Cambio de calidad migratoria will appear on your screen (partly) filled in once you have uploaded your documents. If and where necessary, complete it online. Leave the field for the Numero de expediente (that’s the file number of your application), Fecha y Codigo blank. Either the system automatically fills in these fields or Migraciones will do so. Then download and print the form, sign it, and put the fingerprint of your index finger with black or blue ink on it. The form doesn’t have to be witnessed or notarized. You won’t have to upload it but present it when visiting Migraciones.

      In our list all officially published requirements are mentioned. However, as already said above, Migraciones loves to change procedures, which sometimes include requirements, without prior notice. If you want to double-check the current requirements, enter the Agencia Virtual and click on Cambio de calidad migratoria residente familiar. If you haven’t done so already, the system most probably asks you to update your personal data. Do so (just fill in the fields) and you get a code which you have to enter before the system allows you to continue with your visa application. Just follow the steps. Once you get to the page where you have to upload all your documents, you can see all requirements.

      The DNI of your husband should be “actualizado”, so up-to-date with correct family address, and marital status, with no open fines.


  • This commment is unpublished.
    Leta · 29/10/2022
    I hope I didn't mess up? Yesterday prior to your excellent guidance I started the online process and reached the page that asks for the data update code - which I didn't have...but below it there is a link to get a data update code which I clicked entering into the Data Update System where I found several pages of a questionnaire which I successfully completed. At the end I was given a 10 digit code and with that I went back to the original webpage where it says Enter data update code. Then I received your reply suggesting that I start the process the day before my visa expired to give more time (which is needed) for the FBI background Apostille to arrive. My question is without having entered the code am I still able to take advantage of the remaining 20 days I have on my existing visa OR has the clock started on that 3 to 5 day period and then the eventual request for 30 day extension (that may or may not still be available)??? Anxiously awaiting your thoughts!
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 29/10/2022
      @Leta Hello Leta,

      I don’t think you messed up.

      You just updated your personal data, correct? You didn’t fill in the required fields for the application, didn’t upload required documents, didn’t have the form PA-cambio de calidad migratoria on your screen, didn’t confirm your application and didn’t get the confirmation of your visa application, correct? You just got the update code, correct?

      Then you are fine. At the moment, you are still in Peru as a tourist, as you haven’t completed the visa application. Only after you got the confirmation of your visa application, Migraciones will contact you within a few days in case you haven’t uploaded all documents and only then will give you a deadline.

      So, for now relax a bit, check that you have all required documents to the satisfaction of Migraciones together and pray that your criminal record check arrives soon.

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Leta · 29/10/2022
    As I am sure your readers will agree, your assist is not only valuable for content, direction, experience and insight but often comes at a time that is of great relief to the questioner even when the situation remains somewhat challenging. THANK YOU SO MUCH for your prompt and clear response. 
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 29/10/2022
      @Leta Thank you so much for your kind words. It's always great hearing that what I do here on LimaEasy is appreciated and helpful. I can't eliminate the challengers and don't know everything, but I hope I can explain the basics, give some insight and probably here and there point someone in the right direction.

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Leta · 28/10/2022
    Hi all,
    I am US citizen married to Peruvian for 4 years, coming and going to USA. Now I am in Lima and have only 30 day visa due to many days previously this year (immigration at airport were gracious to allow as long as I promised to apply for residency!), I have sent off for the FBI background check (which will take one week but another 7 weeks for Apostille) and have just obtained the Ficha de Canje card from Interpol. Much progress but time is running out and I understand one can't apply for family visa Cambio Migratoria por la de familiar residente on an overstay visa. Thus I thought to go as far as I can while waiting for FBI Apostille. went onto Pagalo and paid for 07568 and have receipt and then went to Agencia Digital and started the questionnaire --- saved info as I went along but my 1 hour ran out!! I logged on again but the info was gone!!. QUESTION #1: can I/should I get an extension on my tourist visa? #2: without the FBI Apostille completed would I be able to get through the questionnaire on Migraciones? What am I to do with so little time remaining on my visa because if I leave Peru, I can't apply outside the country for the family visa and I can't return due to #days this year. 
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 28/10/2022
      @Leta Hello Leta,

      Yes, you are right, to apply for a family visa or any other resident visa (accurately to apply for the Cambio de Calidad Migratoria) your stay as a tourist must be still valid on the day you apply on the Agencia Digital. And since August 2021, you can’t extend your stay as a tourist anymore.

      Considering that you already stayed lots of time in Peru this year and most probably will have problems when you leave and try to re-enter, your only option is to apply on the Agencia Digital the latest possible before your stay as a tourist expires.

      So, apply on the last day when your stay as a tourist is still valid (or if you want to make sure nothing goes wrong on the penultimate day). Fill in all required fields and upload all documents you already have. You can leave the field for the criminal record check blank and still can continue with the application process. At the end, make sure your application is correctly sent and keep the confirmation of your application safer than safe.

      Once you have the confirmation, the time stops; if your stay as a tourist expires the next day, no problem. But check your Buzon electronico (login information is at the bottom of your confirmation) every single day!!! As you haven’t uploaded all required documents, usually within only 3 to 5 days Migraciones will send you a notification requesting to upload, in your case, the criminal record check usually as well within a time limit of 3 to 5 days. Take this notification more than serious!!! You must react to it, even if it’s on the last day of the deadline they gave you, otherwise your application is canceled.

      Going this way, you apply when your stay as a tourist is still valid, and you hopefully can buy yourself enough time until your record check arrives. So, if you have the record check before the deadline expires, great, just upload it and all is fine. If you still don’t have it, then the following is a bit of a gamble (worked at the end of last year and the beginning of this year, not sure if now and how exactly).

      Three readers of LimaEasy who were in the same situation as you reported that they were able to get an extension of the deadline. As all three used a lawyer / tramitador for this, I’m not sure how the exact procedure is. But I was told that somewhere in the “depths” of the Mesa de Partes Virtual on the Agencia Virtual there should be the option to apply for this extension, which gives you a max of an additional 30 days to upload the missing document. Once you send the request for the extension, you usually won't hear back from Migraciones, and when you upload your record check within the 30 days, all should be good.

      Wishing you all the best.

    • This commment is unpublished.
      Rianne · 12/11/2022
      @Leta Hello Leta,
      Maybe my sharing of the procedure might be useful and give some ease regarding processing time. I am currently applying for a family visa too, based on my marriage to my Peruvian husband, and am doing the whole procedure myself (in the Trujillo office of Migraciones). 

      I applied online on the last day of my allowed stay as a tourist. I didn't have my international document (similar to your FBI report) at the time. The problem is, that the system will not allow you to continue the online process if you do not upload a document in the required field (so you cannot leave it blank, I tried that). What the system does accept in this field is the same upload of the Ficha de Interpol. So basically, I uploaded it twice. Then I was able to continue to the next menu and apply. 

      It took Migraciones about 30 days to evaluate my uploaded documents. I applied the 23rd of August and got a reply from them on the 27th of September (through e-notification, you will get a login code after you apply). It was a 2 page document requesting to upload additional documents (the FBI document being one of them) within 10 working days. In the meantime I already arranged the document including the translation and legalization by Ministery of Foreign affairs (keep in mind this process takes about 1.5 to 2 weeks). 

      About the request for extension to upload documents (max 30 working days), there is a document that the Migraciones office gave me in hardcopy, not sure if you can find it online. You can upload this doc. on the last day of the 10 working days period granted in the 'Subsanacion' part of the online menu which will apppear at the top left (note: don't upload other documents). I didn't get any official approval of my request for extension, so I am not sure how it is processed (if at all).

      After uploading the documents (at the end of your extension period) Migraciones informed me that the case manager takes about 14 days to evaluate the uploaded documents. It depends if the specific person goes on holiday etc. so it is my assumption that it is pretty flexible... we are in Peru, anything goes. 

      I went to the Migraciones office myself to double check if all the documents were alright (you can only verify this if the case manager is onsite, so you have to be lucky to catch him/her that day), because I aim to travel in December. The case manager made up all kinds of additional requirements (petty, do-able stuff), on the spot so I spent a whole day going back and forth copying, printing and uploading documents in the Subsanacion menu. I am sharing this as I can imagine that the evaluation of your additional document upload and the way that the online system works can buy you some additional time. 

      Meaning: I can imagine that - even if you do not have your complete FBI document on the end of your 30 day extension period - just upload what you have. Maybe the translation or legalization of the document is still in progress so you can upload the English document. You will then have about two weeks more until they send an evaluation of the documents saying there is something missing (I am sure they will find something again). Hopefully by this time you have the official document that Migraciones can process.

      Does this help?

      Please let me know if you have additional questions. I am happy to share what I've learned so far in 'navigating' Migraciones.

      Best of Luck,
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 12/11/2022
      Hello Rianne,

      you are an angel send from heaven. Thank you so, so much for sharing your experience. This is more than helpful for many in the same situation and especially right now for Leta, who has to apply next week before her stay as a tourist expires (and she only will get her criminal record check in a few weeks)!!!

      I wasn't sure if the extension of the deadline Migraciones gives you to upload missing documents is still in place. You confirmed it is. Wow! Great! And in cases like this, it's good to hear that Migraciones took a month to evaluate your application.

      Anyway, thank you again for taking the time to write here in such detail.

      I just have one question. You said your FBI report (which I assume had an Apostille) needed to be legalized by the Peruvian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Is this correct? I thought you just have to get the certified translation in Peru and then it's accepted.

       Thanks again, Rianne.

      Have a great weekend
  • This commment is unpublished.
    Hollie · 17/10/2022

    I am an American citizen. I’ve been with my Peruvian partner in the US for 8 years and we would like live in Peru together for the long term. We are open to marriage but are wondering if it is the only option we have in order for me to become a resident.

    I am also wondering if I will need to pay taxes by becoming a resident while working for a company based in the US.

    Can you advise what are my options? How long in advance should we begin the process of applying for residency before moving to Peru?
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 17/10/2022
      @Hollie Hello Hollie,

      The easiest, quickest, least complicated, and least stressful option is to marry your Peruvian partner and then apply for a family visa in Peru.

      But, of course, depending on your circumstances and preferences, which I don’t know, there might be other options. Are you planning to work in Peru for a Peruvian company and can get a work contract? If so, you could apply for a resident work visa (doesn’t really make sense doing so, as with the family visa you already have a permit to stay long term and a permission to work without having to jump through all the bureaucratic hoops of the work visa). Or are you and / or your partner planning to open your own company in Peru? Then you could employ yourself and apply for a work visa (as above, not really wise as you only make things more complicated than they could be). Or are you planning to invest a larger amount (at least S/. 500,000) in Peru? Then you could apply for an investment visa (here as well, with a family visa you already have your permit to stay long term in Peru and can, if you wish, invest, but don’t have to). Or if you receive a pension, you could apply for a rentista visa (you must provide proof of getting a state or private pension of at least US$ 1000 per month and you are not allowed to work in Peru when on a rentista visa)…

      Anyway, as already mentioned above, getting married and then appling for a family visa based on being married to a Peruvian is in most cases the best option which offers the most possibilities with the smallest bureaucratic hurdles in Peru.

      My knowledge regarding taxation in cases like yours is limited and I’m not familiar with US taxes. So, I highly recommend getting in contact with an expat tax expert specialized in Peru and US taxes. Therefore, here just some general information.

      Peru and the US have not signed a tax treaty, making it difficult to generally say how various income generated in Peru or the US is taxed in the other country.

      As resident of Peru, you are required to pay income tax on your worldwide income (so, on income generated in Peru and abroad) on a progressive scale from 8% to 30%. So, if you live in Peru and work for a US company earning money in the US, your income must be taxed in the US anyway, but officially is additionally considered foreign source income by the Peruvian income tax law. However, most US Americans I know, leave their US income in an account in the US and pay as required US taxes, but don’t declare their foreign income to the Peruvian tax authority and just withdraw from an ATM. While in lots of cases this surely is borderline or outright wrong according to the Peruvian tax law, as things stand today, the Peruvian tax authority doesn’t pursue such cases.

      On the other hand, if you generate income and pay income tax in Peru, then there are several exemptions that you pay less or no income tax in the US.

      Overall, please seek legal advice from a specialist!

      Usually, Peruvian consulates abroad do not issue resident visas anymore. So, you enter Peru as a tourist and then start the application process in Peru. How it’s done, is explained in detail above.

      The most important thing before leaving the US is to get organized, get all your and your Peruvian partner’s documents in order and prepare whatever possible, so once you arrive in Peru you just have to finish the last steps before being able to apply for your resident visa. As you usually only get 90 days when you enter Peru as a tourist and must apply before your stay as a tourist expires, time is often an issue.

      So, in case you decide to marry, best marry in the US (or marry in Peru before moving there). If you marry in the US (best keep your last name and do not take your husband’s surname!), get your US marriage certificate and then register your marriage at a Peruvian consulate in the US. There you are then issued a Peruvian marriage certificate. When you apply for your family visa in Peru, a marriage certificate issued abroad can’t be older than 6 months. So, either marry half a year before your actual application in Peru (which might be difficult to exactly plan) or get a new copy of your Peruvian marriage certificate a couple of months before heading to Peru (not sure, but I think the Peruvian consulate must legalize it).

      If you marry in Peru (in our article Marrying in Peru you find the details), you must register your marriage at Reniec and present a marriage certificate not older than 3 months when applying for your family visa. Be aware that it is nearly impossible to get everything together for your marriage in Peru, then marry, get everything together for your family visa application and apply within the three months you are given as a tourist. So, if you want to marry in Peru, best make one trip to Peru to marry (little obstacle at least one partner must live in Peru otherwise most municipalities won’t marry you and you should plan at least a good 2 or 3 months from start to having your Peruvian marriage certificate) and another to finally move and apply for your resident visa.

      To save time in Peru, your Peruvian partner should, if applicable, get his DNI and passport in order while still being in the US. So, after your US marriage and the registration of your marriage at the consulate, he should, for example, change his marital status on his DNI or, if applicable, have election fees paid or waived, etc. However, check with the Peruvian consulate how long these changes take; in some cases it might be quicker to do once in Peru.

      The same applies to you, check that your passport is valid for another few years, so you don’t have to worry about renewing it in the near future in Peru. Even though not necessary for the family visa application, I always recommend having at least a copy of your birth certificate (with Apostille) and depending on your circumstances probably as well a copy of your highest degree (with Apostille) when moving to a foreign country. Most probably you won’t need it, but you never know and getting these documents while being abroad can be a nightmare.

      Then the most important thing before leaving the US, get your FBI background check. As far as I know, it takes anything between a few days to a month or so until the FBI issues the document and then, depending on the workload another few weeks to get the Apostille. So, here you should probably start 2 months before leaving the US.

      That’s all you can do before moving to Peru. Once in Peru, do not waste time. Your then husband should immediately change the address on his DNI to a Peruvian one and, if still necessary, his marital status. In the meantime, you first should get your appointment at Interpol and get an official translation of your FBI background check. Then follow the steps as described above.

  • This commment is unpublished.
    June · 21/09/2022
    Hello Eva, Thanks for your amazing articles. I wonder if you can help with this question. IThank you in advance for any help!
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 21/09/2022
      @June Hello June,

      I just answered your mail. And sorry, no.

      But probably I can help or someone here might have the answer.


  • This commment is unpublished.
    Leroy · 01/09/2022
    Hi Eva,

    I’m currently in the process of changing my migratory status “Cambio de calidad migratoria - Familiar Residente - Familiar Residente: Casado con peruano(a)”. I have just finished uploading all the required documents to the “Migraciones Agencia Digital” website. Once I submitted the application it auto generated the F-007 (Some details prefilled) and also provided me with a code to make an appointment for biometric scans.

    I have 3 questions:
    1. Is the biometric scans part of the change of migratory status ie. “Cambio de calidad migratoria”? There were no appointments in Lima for biometric scans for 6 weeks. I’m wondering if I have to wait until these scans are completed before my migratory status is changed/approved and I can apply for the carné de extranjeria?
    2. The migraciones website said the F-007 form is to be submitted once the application is approved, is this correct? I couldn’t see anywhere to where to uplod this form on the migraciones agencia digital website at the moment. *note as per Anil’s comments below FYI couldn’t see a download button for this form when it was generated so I had to print screen.
    3. Is there a certain length of time all the documents submitted are valid for? Eg. Its almost been 3 months since my Australian police check (Antecedentes policiales, penales y judiciales) was issued and apostilled. I hoping This doesn’t expire.

    Thanks in advance for your help. Your website is a great resource and very helpful for foreigners.

    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 01/09/2022
      @Leroy Hello Leroy,

      Thanks for your nice words about LimaEasy.

      Answer to your first question:

      According to the legislation, the appointment for having your biometrical data taken is not part of the approval process for changing your immigration status from, in your case, tourist to family. It belongs to the issuance of the carné de extranjería part.

      But for the past year alone, there have been three major changes. First, applicants had to download an app, take their biometrical data in the app and then transfer their data during the resident visa application process onto the Agencia Digital. Without submitting your biometrical data, no application. Then a few months ago Migraciones announced that the biometrical data is taken in person as it was before Covid, and that the applicant had to make an appointment on the Agencia Digital after he/she received the approval. This method only worked a couple of months and Migraciones started to send applicants an email with an appointment. From Anil I heard for the first time that the system allowed you to make an appointment right after the application.

      So, with this being said and being used to Peruvian bureaucracy, I'm slowly but surely getting confused. But as you didn’t make an appointment after your application, I highly recommend making one as soon as possible on the Agencia Digital (under Citas en Linea) as waiting times are long right now and once your resident visa is approved you otherwise have to wait ages to finally have your biometrical data taken and your carné issued.

      Answer to your second question:

      Due to my immigration status, I don’t have access to this part of the Agencia Digital and can’t check how and where what has to be done or uploaded making it impossible for me to answer your question. Here we have the same problem as above over the past year there have been constant changes. The last time I was able to catch a glimpse which was at the beginning of 2022, in the upper part of one page there was a red download and next to it upload button for the form, below the option to upload all other necessary documents. This seems to have changed.

      Additionally, I now heard from a few of our readers different versions on how they did it; a few told me, yes, you download the form during the application process, fill it in, sign and fingerprint it and upload it again. Others told me they couldn’t find the form, didn’t do anything and their visa was approved without any objections from Migraciones while others received a message from Migraciones through the Buzon electronico to download the form on the government website, fill it in, sign, fingerprint and upload it through the Mesa de Partes on the Agencia Digital which they did. Now I read from you that you got the form after you submitted your application.

      Anyway, personally I wouldn’t do anything at the moment, just regularly check your Buzon. In case Migraciones is missing the form, they will contact you and request that you upload it (filled in, signed and fingerprinted) within a certain time frame (usually only 3 to 5 working days).

      Answer to your third question:

      Usually, documents issued in Peru are accepted if they are not older than 3 months, documents issued abroad shouldn’t be older than 6 months. But if the person who handles your application has a bad day, doesn’t know the regulations or whatever, he or she might invent other time spans. Anyway, if your Antecedentes weren’t older than 3 months when you submitted your application, no need to worry. They should be accepted with no problem.

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Anil · 27/07/2022
    Hi, I am in the process of changing my resident status as I am married to a Peruvian. I filled the information in the Agencia Digital, however, I did not get the option of downloading Form F-007 as mentioned in this blog. After uploading my documents, it directly gave me the option of taking appointment "cita" which I did. I got the appointment although have to wait for more than a month. I checked all the data and sections while filling the form and I was particularly careful not to make any mistake. Is Form F-007 not required recently? Just wanted to be 100% sure. Another question I have is, usually how many days do they take to respond whether my application is approved or not and where do they notify (email or buzon electronico)? Thanks so much.
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 27/07/2022
      @Anil Hello Anil,

      Unfortunately, as I have no access to this part of the Agencia Digital due to my immigration status, I can’t check if they changed something again (they must have as you said you could already make your appointment for having your biometric data taken after you submitted your application) or send you a screenshot.

      You said you are changing your resident status. So you are already a resident and are changing your visa type? Or did you mean that you are changing your immigration status from, I assume, tourist to family?

      If the latter is the case, when I remember correctly on the top of the page where you uploaded all other documents, you should have downloaded the form, printed it, filled it in, then signed and fingerprinted it and uploaded it again.

      If you haven’t done so, you should check your buzon electronico as all communications is done through it. So, in case something with your application isn't to the satisfaction of Migraciones, a document is missing, or whatever they will contact you there.

      Right now, the only thing you should do, check your buzon regularly. If they don’t request the form, don’t do anything. If you get a notification that the form is missing, download it here, fill it in, sign and fingerprint it. Then enter the Agencia Digital, go to the Mesa de Partes and upload the form.

      And I can’t tell you how long the approval process of your resident will take. Over the past few months, I heard from people who waited anything from 4 weeks to 6 months.


Peru Newsflash

Peru Event Calendar

Latest Content...

Latest Video

Maria Reiche - Memories

Maria Reiche - Memories

Submitted by: Tintin
05 December 2021

Long Reads...

  • Peruvian Archaeology

    The Mystery of the Nazca Lines in Peru

    In the 1920s, when people first flew across southern Peru, they made an astonishing discovery. Stretching below them,…
  • Peruvian Personalities & Founders

    Francisco Pizarro González (1474-1541)

    Francisco Pizarro, a peasant from Spain, was one of the least well-equipped conquerors in history. However, in the name…
  • Peruvian Archaeology

    The colorful Fabrics and Textiles of Peru

    Europe’s first knowledge of Peruvian textiles was acquired following the Spanish invasion of Peru in 1532, when the…
  • Peruvian Legends, Myths & Tales

    The Jeweled Frog and the Condor

    By a quiet pond, at the side of a cloud-topped mountain in Peru, lived a small green frog and his large green family.…
  • Peru Info

    Peruvian Economy

    The Peruvian economy is an emerging, social market economy highly dependent on foreign trade and classified as an upper…