Peruvian Retirement Visa

Peruvian Retirement Visa

A Guide to Peruvian Visas

Part 8

Retirees and pensioners who receive a state or private pension or other benefits (for example a disability pension) of at least US$ 1000 per month or the equivalent in any other currency can apply for a permanent residency in Peru called Rentista Visa.

For each dependent (such as a spouse) who should be included in the visa, the proof of an additional US$ 500 is required.

Peruvian consulates abroad usually don’t issue retirement visas anymore; this visa type must be applied for in Peru. So, if you are planning to live as a retiree in Peru, you enter the country as a tourist and then change your immigration status – make a so called cambio de calidad migratoria - at Migraciones.

Please be aware that you are not allowed to work or receive a remuneration for any kind of professional activity in Peru when living in the country on a retirement visa.

Requirements for a Peruvian retirement visa

As soon as you arrived in Peru, you should get organized and start the whole process. Please note that you have to be in the country on a valid visa (for example a tourist visa) when applying for the visa.

Required documents to apply for a retirement visa include, but may not be restricted to:

  • Interpol clearance - Ficha de canje internacional (see below)
  • Receipt for paid application fee (code Migraciones 01814; S/.117.60 in 2021)
  • Passport (you will have to upload the page with your personal data and the one with the entry stamp as PDF)
  • Letter from your pension fund or social security stating that you receive a monthly income of at least US$ 1000 or the equivalent in any other currency. This letter needs an Apostille from the respective public institution in the country of origin (or has to be legalized by a Peruvian consulate abroad and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Peru). Once in Peru the document has to be translated into Spanish by an official translator. (*)
  • Sworn statement issued by a notary in Peru stating that you wish to apply for a rentista visa and confirming that you can fulfil the requirements and don't intend to work. (**)

(*) Before (!!!) leaving your home country request the document from your pension fund or social security and get it apostilled if your country signed the Apostille Convention; otherwise it has to be legalized by different authorities in your home country and the Peruvian consulate. The problem with both processes is that the letter needs an official signature to be apostilled or legalized. As most pension statements are generated automatically they are usually not signed. So, it might be quite a mission in your home country to get it signed. One of our reader informed us that for US citizens with this problem the US Embassy in Lima was very helpful and issued a notarized letter that was accepted by the Peruvian immigration office.

(**) Notaries usually have this form document (Declaracion jurada) on hand. Be aware that before you are able to sign it legally in Peru, you have to apply for a permission to sign contracts (permiso especial para firmar contratos). Since January 2018 this can be easily done online. Our article "Permit to sign contacts in Peru" explains how it works and what you need.

Applying for a retirement visa is a simple and straightforward process, but might be a little confusing here and there if you are not familiar with the process and the steps involved. Please see our walk-through below as general guidance which should offer enough information that you don't need to hire a lawyer or so-called tramitador, but can start and finish this little endeavor on your own. However, be aware that requirements and processes change quickly and at least basic Spanish skills are required to fill in forms and understand instructions.

Getting started …

Hopefully you brought the letter from your pension fund or social security already apostilled or legalized - see requirements and (*) above. Once in Peru this has to be translated by an official translator (and if you only have a legalization on the document, the translation has to be legalized again by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Lima). You can find a list of these state-approved translators either on the website of your Embassy in Peru or here.

When this is taken care of you have to get the sworn statement issued by a notary - see requirements and (**). First apply for the “Permit to sign contacts” and when you have it, visit a notary.

Make PDFs from your passport (page with your personal data and the one with the entry stamp), from a passport photo and your signature.

And the last step before you can finally apply for your retirement visa is getting the so-called “Ficha de Canje Internacional” from Interpol in Peru. Find a detailed description on how it’s done in our article “Interpol - Ficha de Canje Internacional

Applying for a retirement visa in Peru

Once you have the Ficha and all documents together, pay the fee of S/ 117.60 (2021) for the Migraciones administrative procedure “Cambio de Calidad Migratoria” under code 01814 at any Banco de la Nacion branch / ATM or on As you already paid the Interpol fee, you know how the systems works, otherwise check again in our article "Paying administration charges and processing fees in Peru".

Then it's time to apply for your retirement visa - if you need to leave the country during the application process, you have to apply for a special travel permit before you leave the country, otherwise your application is null and void.

Open the Migraciones Agencia Digital. Choose "Extranjero" and enter the data requested. Enter your personal data exactly as in your passport.

On the next page you find on the left under “Cambio de Calidad Migratoria” the point “Rentista Residente”. Click on it.

Then just follow the steps as indicated; nothing you can do wrong. Always check that all personal data you entered (or was automatically filled in) is 100% correct and as in your passport. If you apply for the first time your signature and passport photo might not be in the system yet. So, you have to download the App "Enrolamiento Móvil Migraciones" (available for Android and iOS), then scan the code that appears on the Agencia Digital and upload your photo and signature – there are rumors that this feature might be included soon into the Agencia Digital.

During the process - under “Pago por derecho de tramite” - you are asked to enter certain information of the bank receipt (click on the little arrow and the fields appear). If you don't know where to find the requested bank information on your receipt, click on the question mark.

Under “Documento de identificacion adminstrado” (click on the little arrow and the fields appear - here you can as well just check which documents are necessary and then leave the page without finishing the process), you have to upload requested documents as PDF.

At the end of the process - if everything works smoothly - you get the confirmation of your application. Download this document and / or print it and keep it safe! At the end of this document, you find the login data for the “Buzon Electronico” which you should check regularly for notifications from Migraciones (for example approval of your visa or request of uploading missing / other documents).

Getting your Carné (foreigner ID)

Once you get the confirmation that your retirement visa was approved, pay the fee of S/ 49.90 (2021) for the registration in the foreigner database and issuance of the carné. As described above you can pay at any Banco de la Nacion branch / ATM or on It’s the Migraciones administrative procedure 01873-F-7a: Carnet extranjeria (emisión / duplicado) with concepto "inscripcion en el registro central de extranjería y emision del carné de extranjería".

Then once again enter the Agencia Digtal to do the online registration under “Inscr. Reg. central extranjeria”. As before just follow the steps as indicated, check that all information is correct. At the end you get a confirmation which you should download and / or print and keep safe!

With the confirmation in hand or on your mobile device, the carné is in the process of issuance and you can make an appointment on the Agencia Digital under “Citas en linea” to pick it up. Once again download and / or print the confirmation and keep it safe!

On the day of your appointment arrive at Migraciones 15 – 30 minutes early. Take your passport and confirmation(s) with you. Migraciones personal will point you to the right direction where you are handed you carné.

Congratulations! You made it!

As long as you are in Peru for at least 183 days per year, you have an indefinite residence permit. You are exonerated from extending your visa every year.

Please note: already in September 2015 a new regulation was published in Peru's official newspaper "El Peruano" stating that Rentistas are allowed to spend 365 consecutive days outside Peru without losing their residency. It's not clear if this regulation is already executed. As the immigration website still states 183 days, we highly recommend to confirm current practice with Migraciones before leaving the country.

Please note: We from LimaEasy are not the Peruvian immigration authority Migraciones or a Peruvian consulate. All information is published to our best knowledge and should be seen as general guidance introducing you to Peruvian procedures. All information is subject to change, as regulations, requirements and processes can change quickly without prior notice! Therefore we recommend checking the current regulations with the nearest Peruvian consulate or, if you are already in Peru, with Migraciones!



  • File Description
    File Size
    File Type
  • Form F-004 - Migraciones - Peru
    42 KB

Latest Content...

Latest Video

Security Elements S 200 Peruvian Banknote

Security Elements S 200 Peruvian Banknote

Security Elements S 200 Peruvian Banknote
Submitted by: Tintin
1 day, 3 hours ago