Marrying in Peru

Marrying in Peru

A guide to tying the knot in Peru

You are planning to marry in Peru? First of all, “Congratulations”! Tying the knot in Peru is a simple and easy process, at least if you have a general understanding about the process and, in case a foreigner is involved, have all the necessary documents on hand.

And as with all bureaucratic processes in Peru expect a delay here and there, some running around and the one or other frustrating day before you finally can say “I do”. To make the whole process easier and smoother for you, find below a detailed overview of what it involves in getting married in Peru.


Civil Wedding in Peru

Only civil ceremonies are legal in Peru. So, if you plan to wed in church, have a romantic celebration on the beach, the blessing of a Shaman, an adventure wedding or whatever, you first have to get legally married.

The civil ceremony is performed at the municipality where you plan to marry. Be aware that at least one partner has to be a legal resident of Peru and that most municipalities request that at least one partner is living in this municipality.

As regulations change quickly in Peru and necessary documents and processes vary a bit from municipality to municipality, the first step on your way to marriage is to check the exact requirements with the municipality where you plan to marry so when you submit your paperwork all your documents are in order and, especially important for foreigners, no surprises come up that may delay your special day for weeks or even months.

To give you an overview about the general requirements, here a list of documents usually required.

Requirements of civil marriage in Peru

  • Application form – The application form includes general information about the bridal couple and the witnesses. The bridal couple has to declare their will to marry before the municipality (usually each municipality has a form letter available)
  • ID – original and a readable copy of the up-to-date DNI (Peruvians) or passport / carné de extranjería (foreigners)
  • Birth certificate – Peruvians need to present an original certified copy of their birth certificate (depending on the municipality not issued over 3 months ago), foreigners an original birth certificate with Apostille or legalized and if necessary translated into Spanish (depending on the municipality not issued over 3 to 6 months ago) *
  • Certificado de soltería – The “certificate of being single” is an official document stating that you are single, divorced or widowed, so free to marry. Depending on the municipality, Peruvians can either provide a so-called “Constancia Negativa de Matrimonio” issued by Reniec or a sworn statement declaring their civil status. For foreigners, it’s more complicated, as in many countries such a certificate doesn’t exist. So, it’s time to get a little creative. If you are already in Peru one option is to ask the municipality where you plan to marry if an affidavit signed in front of a notary in Peru is accepted. If yes, great; just go to the nearest notary and sign; problem solved quickly and easily. If not, another option is to get in contact with your embassy and asked them to notarize a sworn statement in which you declare that you are single (unmarried, divorced, widowed). As you are not the first with this problem, many embassies will do so and are prepared (check with the municipality, if they accept it, most do). Be aware that in most cases this document issued by the embassy has to be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and if not in Spanish be translated by an official translator. If the municipality where you plan to marry won’t accept above two options and you hopefully have someone back home able to help or if you are still in your home country, check if there are any official government-issued documents in your home country stating your civil status or if any government office can issue a document confirming your civil status. If these two are a no, you have two options left: sign an affidavit in which you declare that you are single (unmarried, divorced, widowed) in front of a notary public in your home country or ask the authority responsible for issuing marriage certificates in your home country for a copy of your one. If you are unmarried, they won’t find anything and you will have an official paper stating this. Know that this document issued outside Peru as well needs an Apostille or has to be legalized and translated into Spanish.*
  • Domicile certificate - Most municipalities request that at least one partner is living in the municipality where the wedding is taking place. If one partner is Peruvian for some municipalities the address on the DNI is enough, others request a sworn statement from a notary and still others ask for a utility bill (electricity, water, phone) including copy.
  • Certificado médico prenupcial – Most municipalities request a medical exam, the so-called certificado médico prenupcial, before they allow you to marry. Best ask at the municipality which doctor / clinic to use. Both partners have to go together. The medical exam includes a quick general health check, some talk about STIs / STDs and giving a blood sample which is tested for HIV/AIDS and other STIs / STDs. The results and the certificate are usually ready in a day or two.
  • Witnesses – Most municipalities request the presence of two witnesses when submitting the paperwork and the same two witnesses on the day of the ceremony. The witnesses shouldn’t be family members, should know the couple for a longer period of time and have to present an official ID (DNI, passport, carné de extranjería) including copy. As the wedding won’t take place if a witness present when submitting the paperwork doesn’t show up on the big day, choose reliable and trustworthy people.
  • If divorced – additionally to above-mentioned requirements, most municipalities request some sort of proof that a former marriage was resolved legally. This could be the final judgement of the divorce, a divorce decree, a municipal divorce resolution or any other official divorce documentation. Please ask at the municipality where you plan to remarry which documents are required. If these documents were issued outside Peru, they need an Apostille or have to be legalized and if necessary, translated into Spanish.* Be aware that some municipalities have a waiting period before divorcees can remarry. Some municipalities as well request a pregnancy test from women who want to get remarried within less than 300 days of their divorce.
  • If widowed – usually only the death certificate of the former spouse is requested, but some municipalities as well ask for the former marriage certificate. So, to be on the safe side, please ask at the municipality where you plan to remarry which documents are required. If these documents were issued outside Peru, they need an Apostille or have to be legalized and if necessary, translated into Spanish.* Be aware that some municipalities request a pregnancy test from women who want to get remarried within less than 300 days of the death of their former spouse.

* Any foreign document used in Peru

All documents issued outside Peru even so-called “international” certificates, including birth certificates, affidavits, marriage certificates, divorce papers, death certificates etc. are only accepted in Peru, if they have an Apostille (if they were issued in a country that signed the Hague Agreement). If the documents were issued in a country that hasn’t signed the Hague Agreement, they have to be legalized by a Peruvian consulate in the country of origin and then by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Peru. In case they aren’t solely in Spanish, after that all documents, apostilled or legalized, have to be translated into Spanish by an official translator in Peru.

As soon as you have all the paperwork together, the worst part is over and you can relax a bit. The next step is to submit all documents to the municipality (don’t forget to bring your witnesses), pay the fee for the ceremony and choose the day for your wedding (after submitting the paperwork there usually is a waiting period of at least a week or two until you can marry; be aware that in case the municipality is busy, the next free date might even be 2 or 3 months away). You can as well choose if the civil ceremony should take place in the municipal building or if the official should come to a special location to perform the ceremony (extra costs involved). Most municipalities then request that the bridal couple publishes a marriage announcement in a local newspaper and submit the entire page with the marriage announcement as soon as it's published.

You are nearly done. The last step to get legally married in Peru is the civil ceremony itself. As in most countries around the globe, it’s usually nothing spectacular or super festive; a private affair mostly celebrated only with the closest family members and best friends. The ceremony might take around 20 to 30 minutes. The official performing the ceremony might talk about marriage as the union of two persons, the legal responsibilities that come with it, the rights and obligations of the spouses or similar. The only things for you to do, are listening, saying “Si, quiero” or “Si, acepto” at the right moment, otherwise all your hard work of the last weeks or months would have been in vain, and sign the marriage certificate.

Congratulations! You made it and are now legally married in Peru.

After the ceremony there usually is only a small lunch or private reception with close family members and best friends. Only if the couple doesn’t have a religious wedding later, the big celebration follows (see below under Wedding reception).

Don’t forget to register your marriage with Reniec (Peruvians have to change their marital status on their DNI) and if applicable with the embassy of your home country.


Religious Wedding in Peru

As already mentioned above, you can only be legally married in a civil wedding. A religious wedding is optional and can only be held after the civil ceremony. Nevertheless, the religious wedding is a huge affair in Peru and most couples decide to give their vows in front of God, the extended family and friends in a church as well.

Each religion has its own requirements to marry in church, but as over 80% of Peruvians are catholic, here a general overview of the requirements for a catholic wedding in Peru. For exact requirements, please get in contact with the corresponding congregation.

  • ID (DNI for Peruvians, passport or carné de extranjería for foreigners)
  • Birth certificate
  • Baptismal certificate (legalized by the ecclesiastical notary of the Archdiocese)
  • Certificate of Confirmation (legalized by the ecclesiastical notary of the Archdiocese)
  • Religious pre-marriage counselling
  • 4 witnesses (2 for the groom, 2 for the bride), can’t be family
  • Official marriage certificate or proof that the civil ceremony is arranged and held before the religious
  • “La proclamación” (public announcement of the upcoming religious wedding either during the Sunday mass or in the church magazine or on the notice board of the parish)
  • Fee or donation

While for the civil ceremony you are in most cases bound to the municipality where at least one partner of the bridal couple lives, the religious ceremony can usually take place in whatever church you choose. However, entering marriage in the presence of God in popular churches or even impressive cathedrals might come with a waiting period of several months and an elevated price tag. You should consider that you have to transport your wedding party to the church, then to the reception venue and back home.


Wedding Reception

The religious ceremony is followed by a huge reception at the most beautiful or prestigious venues the couple or their parents can afford. It often includes lots of delicious food and an open bar, wedding cake, photographer, music and dancing, an entertainment program with professional dancers or animators for example and party games; so generally, a large night-long celebration.

Most couples hire a wedding planner to organize everything or book a special wedding package which often includes a catering and event planning service at one of the countless hotels or clubs. But honestly, it’s not rocket science to organize it (partly) on your own and if you shop around save some bucks along the way. This brings us to the costs of a wedding in Peru.


Wedding costs in Peru

As everywhere around the globe, you can celebrate a beautiful and memorable wedding on a budget, but as well spend tens of thousands of dollars for a luxury event.

Depending on the type of wedding (only civil ceremony with small or large reception, religious ceremony in Lima’s cathedral with huge reception, destination wedding, adventure wedding,…), chosen venue (garden of your in-laws or 5 star luxury hotel), number of guests (0 or 250), self-planning or wedding planner, home-cooked food or exclusive caterer and other choices such as dress / suit, rings, decoration and flowers, photographer, music and entertainment, necessary transport and accommodation costs and all the other little expenses, you can spend a few thousand or tens of thousands. The sky or better the budget you are willing to spend, your or your parents’ financial resources, savings or limit of the credit card is the limit.

The largest investment of a wedding in Peru is usually the venue of the reception, catering and decoration. But other important though most often smaller expenses such as invitations, dress, ring, make-up, hairstyle, flowers, music, entertainment, cake, photographer, car and transport add up quickly and shouldn’t be forgotten.

So generally  the overall costs for a nice, average wedding in Peru with 50 to 100 guests is around US$ 8,000 to US$ 10,000. You can do it for less, but as well more if you add the one or other “luxury”. Average larger weddings (100 – 200 guests) with more luxury might set you back US$ 15,000 up to US$ 30,000 and huge weddings (over 200 guests) and / or super exclusive events can easily reach up to US$ 50,000.

No matter if you plan a wedding on a budget or an exclusive event, it’s always worth to shop around; the most expensive isn’t always the best.


Destination wedding in Peru

Because of its diverse landscapes, countless attractions and rich historic and cultural past Peru offers a wide range of wedding or vow renewal options for everyone: from a religious ceremony in one of the many impressive churches, to a romantic ceremony on the beach, to a rustic ceremony at a private hacienda or bodega, to a traditional Andean ceremony with Shaman in the Sacred Valley, to an exclusive ceremony in one of the numerous luxury hotels, to an exotic ceremony in the jungle, to an adventure event around Machu Picchu or on the Amazon River…

All of above options are only symbolic ceremonies. So, couples usually first marry officially in their home country (or if at least one partner is a legal resident of Peru at the local municipality) and then “elope” to Peru for a once in a lifetime experience.


Same-sex marriage and civil union in Peru

To this day the Peruvian Constitution defines marriage as a stable union between a man and a woman. Same-sex marriage or civil unions are not possible in Peru and same-sex marriages performed abroad aren’t recognized.

And even though prominent gay representatives already push for years for a new legislation that would allow same-sex couples to wed and even the one or other judge ruled in favor of gay couples fighting for their right to marry or to have their foreign marriage recognized, the conservative majority in Peru’s Congress, the powerful Roman Catholic Church and other government institutions until now successfully prevented such a thing.

When in January 2018 the Inter-American Court of Human Rights in Costa Rica ruled that countries in the region that signed the American Convention on Human Rights (which Peru has) should legalize same-sex marriages or unions, supporting marriage equality in Latin American countries, the hopes were high that Peru finally had to act. A law change was expected in a reasonable timeframe, but unfortunately until today nothing of the kind happened.

Say something here...
characters left
or post as a guest
Loading comment... The comment will be refreshed after 00:00.
  • This commment is unpublished.
    Lissette · 06/01/2022
    I got Married in Peru , came to the US and years later got divorced in the US. If I were to want to get remarried, do I need to also be divorced in Peru for my new marriage to be valid?
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 06/01/2022
      Hello Lissette,

      You not really have to get divorced again in Peru, but your divorce must be recognized in Peru, otherwise you remain married before Peruvian law in Peru with all legal implications such as for example support obligations or inheritance claims. So, in your own interest you should make sure that you are not only legally divorced in the US but also in Peru.

      You must request the recognition of your US divorce at the Peruvian Judicial Power (Exequatur); the procedure is called "reconocimiento de sentencia de divorcio en el extranjero".

      For that it's not necessary to be in or to travel to Peru. Any Peruvian consulate can inform you about the exact requirements and the process and can help with the necessary paperwork.


  • This commment is unpublished.
    Alexandra · 03/01/2022
    Hey all! Anyone can explain how it works with the last name if a woman is getting married to a Peruvian man? 
    Is it possible to get the name of him? 
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 03/01/2022
      Hello Alexandra

      The Peruvian names consist of first name(s), father's surname (apellido paterno) and mother's surname (apellido materno); if a woman is married she keeps her two last names and, if at all, adds "de and the husband's father's surname".

      So if Juanita (first name) Perez (father's surname) Gonzalez (mother's surname) marries Juan Torres Gomez, she either remains Juanita Perez Gonzalez or she will be Juanita Perez Gonzalez de Torres.

      It's absolutely unthinkable that a Peruvian woman will renounce her names and take her husband's names. Additionally, if you take your husband's name, from the name you become your husband's sister; and getting the names correctly registered for possible future children will be a nightmare.

      I married a Peruvian abroad under foreign law and took my husband's (father's) surname. As long as we lived abroad we didn't have any problems . However, when moving to Peru and finally registering our marriage and our children with Reniec convincing the officials that I'm my husband's wife and not sister and getting our children the father's surname and the correct mother's surname (and not a second time the husband's name) was challenging and time consuming.

      So, my recommendation keep your name and just add the "de and husband's surname). Makes your life a lot easier, if you plan to live in Peru or other Latin American countries.

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Timo · 31/12/2021
    Hi. If you get married in Peru does leaving the country after marriage affect when you can apply for full residency (like it does for work visas)? I got stuck here during the pandemic and my tourist visa expired. I want to get married to my Peruvian partner but I also need to go back to my home country for 6 months to a year. If after my marriage I leave Peru for 6m/1y will this affect when I can apply for full residency? 
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 01/01/2022
      Hello Timo,

      No, leaving Peru after marriage won't affect your application for a family visa when you return.

      Once you are married make sure to have your marriage correctly registered at Reniec, so when you want to apply for your visa, some of the groundwork is already done and you just have to get a new copy of your marriage certificate. Additionally, your spouse should update her DNI at Reniec with the correct marital status. And make sure to bring the police clearance certificate from your home country when you return. With all this done, once you are coming back to Peru, you just have to get the Interpol clearance and can apply for your family visa without major hurdles.

      Happy New Year

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Ana · 22/09/2021
    Hi, I’m Peruvian and my fiancé is an American citizen and a Protestant. We have been looking into doing our religious ceremony through the Protestant church as opposed to the Catholic one but can’t find any pastors to perform the ceremony. Would you be able to point me in the right direction? 
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 22/09/2021
      Hello Ana,

      Already 30 years ago I had the same problem with my wedding and later with the christening of my children. It’s a shame that the two main denominations of Christianity make it so difficult for interdenominational couples.

      Anyway, unfortunately I don’t know any pastors who would perform the ceremony. If you are envisioning a traditional wedding in a typical church, personally I would try to find two pastors, one catholic and one evangelic, hoping that they are willing to perform an ecumenical ceremony in one of their churches; this would make everyone happy.

      Or I would try to find a church or chapel to rent for the ceremony and hope that a pastor comes with it or can easily be arranged. The Decameron El Pueblo in Santa Clara, Ate, Lima, for example, has an absolutely lovely little chapel on their premises where this is possible if the reception is held there as well. Checking out hotels and resorts with churches or chapels or offering wedding packages might bring you a step further. Or a wedding planner might have contacts.

      Another option could be to check out the “expat” churches in Lima, which are usually more open and welcoming to everyone; however, I’m not sure if the invited family approves. The Union Church, for example, is an international, interdenominational Christian Fellowship in Miraflores, Lima, but in my opinion, the church building isn’t what one typically envisions for a wedding. Probably a nicer option could be the Good Shepherd Church in Miraflores, Lima which not only serves the English-speaking expatriate and non-Roman Catholic community, but also has a Spanish-speaking congregation and also serves as the cathedral of the Anglican Diocese of Peru; the small cathedral building is really lovely and everyone at the church usually welcomes and embraces anyone. However, I’m not sure if they are open to non-members; it costs nothing to ask and even if they are not willing to perform the ceremony, they might have the one or other contact.

      Sorry, I couldn't be of more help.

      All the best,
  • This commment is unpublished.
    Beverlyn · 20/08/2021
    I'm a filipino and my fiance is a british national and we want to get married in peru. Is it possible?
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 21/08/2021
      @Beverlyn Depends. As extensively described above, if you plan to have your civil wedding in Peru, at least one partner has to be a legal resident. Additionally, most municipalities require that at least one partner is living in the municipality where the wedding takes place. And furthermore, getting all the documents together, submitting them and finally getting a wedding date, sometimes needs weeks or months, so marrying in Peru might only make sense if at least one partner lives in Peru and is surely nothing you can do during a vacation. However, if you have your civil marriage in one of your home countries and plan either your church wedding or a destination wedding in Peru, you don't have any problems and most probably a very special and once in a lifetime experience (see explanations in our article above). Have a nice day Eva

Latest Content...

Latest Video

Maria Reiche - Memories

Maria Reiche - Memories

Submitted by: Tintin
05 December 2021

Long Reads...

  • Peruvian Archaeology

    The Mystery of the Nazca Lines in Peru

    In the 1920s, when people first flew across southern Peru, they made an astonishing discovery. Stretching below them,…
  • Peruvian Personalities & Founders

    Francisco Pizarro González (1474-1541)

    Francisco Pizarro, a peasant from Spain, was one of the least well-equipped conquerors in history. However, in the name…
  • Peruvian Archaeology

    The colorful Fabrics and Textiles of Peru

    Europe’s first knowledge of Peruvian textiles was acquired following the Spanish invasion of Peru in 1532, when the…
  • Peruvian Legends, Myths & Tales

    The Jeweled Frog and the Condor

    By a quiet pond, at the side of a cloud-topped mountain in Peru, lived a small green frog and his large green family.…
  • Peru Info

    Peruvian Economy

    The Peruvian economy is an emerging, social market economy highly dependent on foreign trade and classified as an upper…