International document corresponding to the Antecedentes policiales, penales and judiciales in Peru

What you need, where you get it and what to watch out for

One of the requirements to apply for a resident visa in Peru or to change your visa type, for example from a work visa to a permanent resident visa, are the “Antecedentes policiales, penales y judiciales” from your home country or from the country where you legally lived (so with a resident visa) during the 5 years prior to coming to Peru showing that you don't have a record.

Many foreigners have no idea what the required “Antecedentes” are, what they correspond to in their home country and how to get them. So, here an attempt at explanation. And while I surely don’t know the correct name of the required document in all languages nor the procedure to get it for all countries in the world, I hope I at least can point everyone in the right direction.

Content Overview

What are the Peruvian Antecedentes policiales, penales y judiciales?

The Peruvian Antecedents policiales, penales y judiciales are three different types of police / criminal record checks:

  • Antecedentes Policiales are a Peruvian Police Clearance Certificate indicating if a person has registered encounters with the police, was involved in any criminal activities or is investigated.
  • Antecedentes Penales are a Peruvian Criminal Record Check showing if a person was ever convicted of a crime in a Peruvian court; so, it’s an official document of the criminal history of a person limited to actual convictions.
  • Antecedentes Judiciales are a Peruvian Judicial Background Record showing if a person has been incarcerated in any Peruvian jail or has done community service as part of a sentence.

For more detailed information about the three different Peruvian background checks and how to get them for the time you lived in Peru, have a look at our article “Police Clearance Certificate and Criminal Background Check in Peru”

Foreigners, who have lived or are still living in Peru, as well as Peruvians quite often have to provide a police clearance certificate or a crimin...

Anyway, for your resident visa application or for changing your visa type in Peru, you need the criminal record from your home country or from the country where you legally lived (so with a resident visa) during the 5 years prior to coming to Peru showing that you don't have a record.

Be aware while that's the official requirement, Migraciones always (!) requests the criminal record check from your home country. And, if they are made aware of the fact that you lived in another country during the 5 years prior to coming to Peru, sometimes additionally a check from this country.

What kind of record check does Migraciones accept?

Most countries around the globe do not have this tripartite record check system. So, as your home country won’t issue these three documents as in Peru, you simply can’t meet this requirement to the full satisfaction of Migraciones.

While shortly after the introduction of the Antecedentes requirement in 2021 Migraciones rejected quite a few police clearance, criminal record and good-conduct certificates submitted by visa applicants, because they supposedly didn’t meet the requirement which is based on the Peruvian system, the Peruvian immigration authority quickly went through a learning curve and now accepts (criminal / background) record checks or any type of no criminal record certificates that were issued by the highest federal police, judicial or national-security authority responsible for such matters in your home country.

The name of this document varies from country to country, so make sure you get an official document proving the lack of any police, criminal or judicial record; a simple national police check isn’t enough and won’t be accepted.

If you are not sure which document in your home country is accepted, check below or, if you don’t find your home country in our list, best check with the Peruvian consulate.

Some tips and recommendations

  • We highly recommend applying for your background check while you are still in your home country / country of residence. Applying from abroad, so, for example, while already being in Peru, is often difficult, time consuming and more expensive or impossible. The embassy or consulate of your home country in Peru in most cases cannot help you with getting the criminal record check, though there are exceptions.
  • One of the obstacles when you try to get your record check while already being outside your home country, for some nationalities is that you must provide a current fingerprint card which must include rolled and flat impressions of all ten fingers, your full name and date of birth and the seal/stamp of the police agency and the signature of the official taking the fingerprints. In Lima, for example, this can be done at the National Police Complex (Direccion de Criminalistica PNP) on Av. Aramburu 550; in Cusco one of our readers informed us that you can get fingerprinted at the Policia Nacional del Peru, DIVINCRI PNP, Oficina de Criminalistica Cusco (a building behind the big police headquarters in Plaza Tupaq Amaru)
  • When you apply for the document in your home country, make sure it’s for “international use", "for use abroad", "for use for a visa application in a foreign country”, or similar.
  • Make sure that the issuing authority authenticates the document; so, the record check has a signature and a seal or stamp of the issuing authority which is necessary for the further required authentication / legalization process.
  • After you received your record check, you have to get an Apostille on it, or, if your home country didn’t sign the Hague Apostille Convention have to get a traditional legalization. This can only be done in the country where the document was issued! In some countries, you can request from the issuing authority that they forward your record check to the authority responsible for the Apostille, which usually saves you time, shipping costs and lots of stress.
  • In some countries, service providers offer to handle all the red tape to get your record check and/or get the Apostille / legalization. Especially, if you are already outside your home country, it might be wise and a good investment to use such a service. Just make sure the company you use is approved and certified. In some countries, it’s even obligatory to use such service providers at one point or the other.
  • In case your record check is in a foreign language, it has to be translated into Spanish. Do not get it done in your home country!!! Translations from any language into Spanish are only accepted if they are done by a certified translator, a so-called traductor publico juramentado, in Peru! You find lists of these government-approved translators on the Peruvian government website. Just click under point 3 on the language of your original document and the list of translators for your language appears.

Document corresponding to the Peruvian "antecedentes" by country

So, after this general introduction find below information for the most common nationalities that apply for resident visas in Peru on what document Migraciones meets the “Antecedents policales, penales y judiciales” requirement and where / how you can apply for it.

As already mentioned above, we don’t know the correct name of the required document in all languages nor the procedure to get it for all countries in the world. Sorry! If you don’t find your nationality below, I hope we could at least point you in the right direction and give you some useful recommendations. If you already went through the process of getting the correct document in your home country, please share your experience; great would be the name of the document, who is in charge of issuing it and any other info you are willing to share. Thank you.

United States

Officially (!!!), US nationals need an “FBI Criminal Record Check” or an “Identity History Summary” which is done in the US by the Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). You find more information about the application process on the website of the US Department of State or on the FBI website. Once issued the document must be apostilled by the US Department of State.

However, over the past few weeks some of our readers informed me that Migraciones as well accepted a background check issued by their home state, of course with Apostille, and their resident visa application was approved without any problems.

Getting a state background check is usually much quicker, easier and cheaper, in some states can be done online and/or without having to provide fingerprints. Additionally, as this document is issued by your state (not the federal government), it doesn't have to be apostilled by the US Department of State, which sometimes takes ages, but can only be apostilled by the state's Secretary of State, which in most states only takes a few days or a week or two. So, if you are pressed for time (and/or money) and/or if you are already in Peru this option might be worth a shot and a much easier and quicker way to get an apostilled background check.

One of our readers was so nice and explained which steps are involved in getting a state background check (thank you so much Mike!). Here what he wrote:

1. Order a notarized background check from your state's law enforcement agency. It is likely you can do this online and have it mailed to you, or directly to the state's Secretary of State.

2. Get the background check apostilled. Since this is a document issued by your state (not the federal government), it can only be apostilled by the state's Secretary of State. I was able to take it into their office and it was apostilled while I waited. Most states also offer the option to service requests via mail.

3. Once in Peru, have it translated to Spanish. It must be done by a translator who is "juramentado" (most official, but more expensive and slower) or "colegiado" (faster and cheaper). I went with colegiado and still don't really understand why there are 3 different levels of translation available in this country.

If you are already in Peru and want to get an FBI background check, read the experience Vaughn, an US national who already was in Peru when he applied for his FBI background check and the Apostille, send me, which I happily share, and which hopefully is helpful to others:

Dear Eva,

With two days remaining on my tourist visa my residency papers were submitted to Migraciones, which means that the visa limit is no longer applicable. The biggest reason for the delay was being so clueless about how to obtain an FBI report and apostillle, and I'm grateful to you for pointing me in the right direction. Whatever activities those Embassy folks may be up to inside their fortress out in Surco, providing useful information evidently has a low priority. To make life easier for some of your readers, I've drafted a summary of how the process works and am sending it along.

This is a two-step process that involves first obtaining the FBI report, and then the apostille, a cover sheet signed and sealed by a government official that validates a document for use in foreign countries. You can either request a report directly from the Bureau or use an FBI Channeler, a company that will deal with the Bureau on your behalf. I chose the latter because it seemed simpler, doesn't cost much more ($50 vs something like $20) and provides a phone contact for handling questions. From a Channeler list I picked one based on cost and expected turn-around time.

They emailed printable instructions and five items to be retuned: a general information form, a form for your M/C or Visa information, and a checklist of necessary items, plus two FBI fingerprint forms to take to the police. (It´s OK to use regular copier paper for these.) Fingerprinting is done at a station on Avenida Aramburu a block west of the Via Expresa, and the fingerprint section is located around the corner on the west side of the building. There was no charge for this, but he sure someone there puts their stamp and signature on each of the forms. Next you need to send the forms back to the Channeler via DHL. At the time their location in Miraflores (700 block of Benavides) had a $45 special for sending documents to the U.S. (Note: there's a guy on the corner-been there for years-who sells great empanadas.)

A few days after receiving your DHL packet they will email your FBI report, which you can then forward to one of the Apostille services. Again there is a list to pick from and I chose one based on the same criteria. The cost was $125 for the service plus $50 for sending back the Apostilled report via DHL. It came in about four weeks, which was what they had estimated.

These documents will then have to be translated into Spanish and the Apostille service I used offered to take care of this, as I imagine they all do. However, I decided to have this done here figuring there was less likelihood of a problem using a translator certified in Peru as opposed to one based overseas. What you will end up with is a stack of papers with the FBI report on the bottom, the Apostille on top of that, the translation on top of that, and on top of everything the translator´s cover sheet with their information, credentials, etc.

Good luck with this and don't forget the empanadas. After all is done and the final payment has been debited to your account, you can also try visiting the Jockey Club on Avenida Larco. You've long known what comes out of the back end of a bull, and at this point you'll also be aware that you have purchased a bureaucratic pile of it for roughly $300. Studying a Racing Form is a good antidote for these unpleasant thoughts, particularly if you do it in a place that serves Miraflores beer at La Victoria prices.

Note: The services used for this did a good job and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

FBI Channeler. Accurate Biommetrics, Itasca, Illinois. (866) 361-9944. Info [at] accuratebiometrics [dot] com
Apostille. Southeast Spanish, Inc. Knoxville, Tennessee. (877) 374-0005. dan.hickman [at] sespanish [dot] com
Translation service (Peru) Peter Spence. (511) 453 2514/(51) 999 190 882. Spencetraducciones [at] gmail [dot] com


Canadian nationals need a “Certified Criminal Record Check” which is issued in Canada by the Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services (CCRTIS) of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCPM). You find more information about the application process on the website of the RCMP. Here the RMCP step-by-step guide. Once issued the document must be apostilled.

One of our readers shared how he got his Canadian Criminal Record Check while already being in Peru. Here what he wrote:

I just finished the Canadian criminal record check process entirely from Peru, and wanted to share the latest procedure:

Choose a notary in Canada that can digitalize and send your fingerprints and personal data to the RCMP on your behalf. I used Red Seal Notary and was very happy with their service. They will have a list of documents and information they need from you- notarized copies of passport and other Canadian ID document, passport style photo, credit card form, etc.

Make sure you specify you need the police check including the signature from the Ottawa Criminal Real Time director.

Print 2 copies of the RCMP fingerprint form and take them to the DIRINCRI office at Av Aramburu 550 (this is around the corner from the main police station door, you will see people waiting on a small patio for the Peruvian police checks). I asked nicely to the officer at reception if he could take my fingerprints for an international check, and he did so right away and there was no charge. Make sure to tell them you need the rolled fingerprints and read the form before to direct them, as the officer may not be familiar with the format.

Collect the rest of your documents and mail (registered courier like DHL is best) to the notary service in Canada. They will upload your details and send to the RCMP. I received email confirmation within about 10 days that they had my police check back, and it took about another 3-4 days for DHL to deliver my document in Lima.

Now that Canada is officially part of the Apostille Convention, you can make an appointment at the Canadian embassy in Lima to receive the Apostille for your RCMP check. You can make the appointments online in advance here under Notarial Services.

Translators: I asked around to several and used Maria del Carmen Buendia for the translation.


UK passport holders need an ACRO police certificate which is issued by the National Police Chiefs' Council's Criminal Records Office. You find more information about the application process, which can be done online on the website of the Acro Criminal Records Office. Once issued the document must be apostilled.


Australians need a “National Police Clearance Certificate (NPC) for criminal records that cover all Australian states and territories” which is issued in Australia by the Australian Federal Police (AFP). You find detailed information about the application process on the website of the AFP. Once issued the document must be apostilled.

New Zealand

New Zealand passport holders need a Criminal Record Check issued by the Ministry of Justice. Once issued the document must be apostilled.

Here what our reader Martin shared about the process:

'Ministry of Justice' 'Criminal Record Check'
If you are asked for a ‘police clearance certificate’, ‘police record’, ‘police file’, ‘police check’, or ‘criminal check’, a copy of your criminal record from the Ministry of Justice should meet the requirements. If you have no convictions, you will receive a letter stating that is the case.
Request a free New Zealand Criminal Record Check
which is emailed to you within three working days.

Department of Internal Affairs 'Apostille'
The New Zealand 'Department of Internal Affairs' will verify your electronic 'Criminal Record Check' directly with the 'Ministry of Justice'. You can apply and pay for a Paper Apostille (edit sunflower: which you need for Peru) or e-Apostille which is couriered to a New Zealand address or an overseas address. New Zealand Apostille processing time is approximately seven working days.


Germans need a "Führungszeugnis Verwendung Ausland“ (criminal record certificate for use aboard). Those who are still in Germany can apply for it at their Meldebehörde. Once issued the document must be apostilled.

For those who are already abroad the Bundesamt für Justiz (Federal Office of Justice) is in charge and issues the document. You find detailed information on the website of the Bundesamt für Justiz.

Be aware that since January 1, 2023 the Bundesamt für Auswärtige Angelegenheiten is responsible to put an Apostille on documents issued by Bundesministerien. And unfortunately, once the Führungszeugnis is apostilled, the BfAA only sends it to a German address. The website of the BfAA explains the whole process nicely (see under subpoint "Wichtige Hinweise für Führungszeugnisse").


Austrians need a "Strafregisterauszug“ (criminal record certificate). While the Landespolizeidirektion Wien (Federal Police Bureau Vienna) is responsible for keeping the register, the certificate is issued depending where you live by different police departments. You can as well apply online. Once issued the document must be apostilled. And the good news, if you are already in Peru, the Austrian consulate is in charge.


Russians need a Certificate of no criminal record (in Russian this should be the “Spravka o nalichii (otsutstvii) sudimosti” - Certificate of presence (absence) of a criminal record). If you are still in Russia, you can apply in person at your regional Information Center of the Ministry of Internal Affairs or at your local Multifunctional Service Center. Once issued the document must be apostilled. If you are already outside Russia, you can apply in person at the Consular Section of the nearest Russian Embassy (bring your Russian passport and, if you are a foreigner who lived in Russia, proof of your (former) residency).

Say something here...
characters left
or post as a guest
All comments MUST be in English and will be moderated before publishing.
They will appear below within 24 hours.
Loading comment... The comment will be refreshed after 00:00.
  • This commment is unpublished.
    K · 27/10/2022
    do you know what is a whole procedure of obtaning necessary documents by Polish citizens?
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 27/10/2022
      @K Hello K,

      Unfortunately, I don’t know the process for getting the document corresponding to the Peruvian Antecedentes in Poland. However, a quick Google search revealed that in Poland, the Ministry of Justice is responsible for issuing the criminal record check. On their website (I don’t understand Polish, so I used the English version) the process is explained in detail. Be aware that you need the certificate in paper form, which should automatically come with a signature and a stamp/seal of the issuing authority.

      When you have the certificate, you must get an Apostille on it, done in Poland by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (this should be the right page for information in Polish).

      For more information on the visa application process in Peru, please have a look at our Visa Guide and select the visa you plan to apply for. You then will find detailed information about the visa, all requirements and a step-by-step guide on how to apply.

  • This commment is unpublished.
    John · 14/10/2022
    In Cusco, to get fingerprints taken for the FBI background check, you can go to this location. It is in a building behing to big police headquarters in Plaza Tupaq Amaru. We asked several random police officers and gradually found this. Unlike in the street view image, the sign now says "Policia Nacional del Peru, DIVINCRI PNP Cusco, Oficina de Criminalistica Cusco." Everyone was very helpful and seemed to regard it as part of their job, it took about 15 minutes of waiting and 15 minutes for the fingerprints. They are not familiar with the FBI form, so take printed copies on ordinary copier paper, with clear boundaries, with you.

    Accurate Biometrics (mentioned above) and the FBI processed the results for me within a few hours of receiving them. Now a few weeks for the apostille...
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 14/10/2022
      @John Hello John,

      thank you so much for sharing this important information.

      I think many foreigners will be happy to hear that they can get their fingerprints for the criminal background check taken in Cusco.

      Have a nice day.


  • This commment is unpublished.
    Michael · 06/10/2022
    I got my FBI background check on the 11th of August and my apostille in September (and these will be translated), but my Interpol is on the 13th of October.  So I probably got my FBI background check done too early.  Anyways, after the Interpol is done and after I get the documents translated, when and where do they need to be turned in?

    Putting it another way, can they need to be handed in before a “Migraciones” interview, or must I wait and turn them in during the time of the interview?
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 06/10/2022
      @Michael Hello Michael,

      You usually get the Ficha from Interpol on the day of your appointment. So, if you have all other documents for your resident visa application together by then, you could immediately apply for your visa.

      Your FBI check then was issued only two months earlier. Even though Migraciones doesn’t mention how old the Antecedentes can be to be accepted I assume at least 3 to 6 months. So, nothing to worry about.

      I’m not sure which resident visa you want to apply for, but we have a very detailed Visa Guide. There you find step-by-step guides for the most common (resident) visas helping you through the visa application process. Depending on what visa you are applying for check out, for example, our article “Work Visa”, “Family Visa”, “Retirement Visa”, “Student Visa” or “Religious Visa”.

      So, as the process is explained in detail in the articles above, here just in short. There is no Migraciones interview. After you have all documents as required, you must pay the application fee and then apply on the Agencia Digital. There, you have to upload PDFs from the required documents. At the end of the initial application process, you get a confirmation. As soon as you have this confirmation, the time stops. So, even if the approval takes a few weeks or even months, you don’t have to worry anymore if your stay as a tourist expires or documents you uploaded are getting “older”. Usually, the originals of some documents only have to be presented when you have your appointment for taking your biometrical data (fingerprints, signature, photo) and then when you pick up your carné.

    • This commment is unpublished.
      Michael · 07/10/2022
      @Sunflower Got it!  Thank you very much!
  • This commment is unpublished.
    Don Parris · 13/09/2022
    Does the FBI criminal background check need to be issued within a certain time frame, say within the last 30-90 days? I would hate to get my check completed now, only to discover my planned arrival in Peru gets moved to a later date.
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 13/09/2022
      @Don Parris Hello Don,

      Unfortunately, Migraciones doesn’t state how old the Antecedentes (so, in your case the FBI criminal record check) can be to be accepted for a resident visa application. So, I can’t answer your question.

      Usually, in most cases other documents (such as marriage certificate, birth certificate, other official documents depending on the type of visa) issued in Peru are accepted if they were issued within 90 days of the application; if they were issued abroad within 180 days. If this applies as well to the Antecedentes, I can’t guarantee. I know of one case where a criminal record check was rejected by Migraciones because it was issued nine months before the application.

      However, it surely isn’t 30 days, as this is unrealistic. After the criminal record is issued you have to get the Apostille which may take a few weeks, then have to come to Peru, where the document has to be translated and you must get the Ficha de Canje from Interpol (getting an appointment for that is nearly impossible at the moment and may take a few weeks) before being able to apply for your resident visa.

      So, while I recommend getting the FBI record check as late as possible (with leaving enough wiggle room for delays), it surely is accepted if it’s 3 or 4 months old, probably even six.

    • This commment is unpublished.
      Don · 06/10/2022
      @Sunflower Thanks Eva!
  • This commment is unpublished.
    Cody · 06/09/2022
    What a well written article.  Thank you for taking the time to explain everything in such great detail.  I've been searching online for an appointment for the antecedentes/Interpol documentation to complete my change of visa request, going on a year now.  It's the last thing I need and I can change my visa category.  But the National Police of Peru never have any available appointments in Lima when I look at their online system.  Do you have any insight into when appointments are opened up?  It would be hard to imagine there are no appointments in Lima, because other cities in Peru much farther away do have appointments available in the system.  
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 07/09/2022
      @Cody Hello Cody,

      Thank you so much for your praise.

      As you are posting here on the Antecedentes page, I fear you might confuse the Antecedentes explained here on this page with the Ficha de canje. So, you need a document from your home country proving that you don’t have a criminal record (the “Antecedentes” as described on this page) and you need the Ficha de canje issued by Interpol in Peru. You find more information on how to get the Interpol clearance in our article “Interpol - Ficha de Canje Internacional”. If my feeling is wrong, sorry.

      Anyway, yes, for a few months now, getting an appointment at the Interpol office in Lima is like winning the jackpot. As every foreigner applying for any type of residency needs the ficha and lots of foreigners applying at the moment, there aren't enough resources. The only thing you can do is to try later, the next day, the day after that, … best at different times of the day… Depending on the office new appointments are opened on one day once a week or every two weeks or even only at the end / at the beginning of each month. Nobody knows.

      Probably check out what Dessy wrote in the comments on our Interpol page. She is in Arequipa, still couldn’t get an appointment there, tried, and tried, and tried. Frustrated she went to the Interpol office in person (usually a useless trip with no success), and, while they couldn't give her an appointment, they told her new appointments would be available after 12 pm. She tried for a few hours more and finally got her appointment.

      Another option is to book your appointment in one of the Interpol offices in the provinces.

      Sorry, I can’t help any more.

      Wish you all the best

    • This commment is unpublished.
      Cody · 07/09/2022
      @Sunflower Thank you Eva.  First you were indeed correct, I mixed the words antecedentes and ficha de canje.  Second, that is very useful information too about what the other viewer did, just visit the place to try and gather some information.  It certainly would not hurt anything.  

      Given the situation with appointments, obviously the government knows what is going on.  At least I hope so.  If someone goes past their 182 days on their tourist visa, and they are still waiting to get an appointment for their ficha de canje, does Migraciones take note of that and are a little lenient when it comes to accessing penalties for overstaying a visa?

      I just found LimaEasy and was delightfully surprised to find the wealth of information, especially current information too.  I haven't seen much up to date information out there for foreigners in Peru during and post pandemic.  So, thank you for your articles.
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 07/09/2022
      @Cody Hello Cody,

      Regarding the Interpol appointment situation. Yes, sure everyone knows about it, but that doesn’t mean that anything changes (quickly).

      And no, Migraciones doesn’t cut foreigners wanting to apply for a residence visa some slack if they don’t have their documents (including the Ficha, even though it’s not their fault) in order when applying.

      The general rule is: on the day you apply on the Agencia Digital for your residence visa (rightly it’s not a visa application, it’s a change of your immigration status from tourist to, for example, work or family or …) your “tourist visa” has to be still valid!

      At least if nothing changed in the last couple of months, paying the overstay fine, which has to be paid when leaving the country, is the penalty for staying longer in Peru than you were allowed as a tourist. You can’t just pay the fine for overstaying and your immigration record is cleared so you can apply for residency. You must be in the country on a valid visa / authorization to enter and stay as a tourist to change your immigration status.

      And I'm not sure what you mean by “If someone goes past their 182 days on their tourist visa”. Did you get 180 days when you entered? Usually, since August 2021, most nationalities entering Peru only get 90 days. So, probably it might be wise to check how many days you were given when you came to Peru. You can do this on the Migraciones website under “Consultas en Linea - TAM virtual”. If this doesn’t work, check out our article “How many days did I get when entering Peru” where other options are explained.

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Richard · 15/08/2022
    Hi, I'm applying for a religious visa.  I read your comment about needing a police check from another country in the case of those who have lived in a foreign country for 5 years before going to Peru.  However, I read this in the "Supreme Decree DS N° 002-2021-IN:"

    "You need to 'present a police document from your home country OR from the country you resided in over the past 5 years.'"

    Obviously I want to be prepared, so apart from an FBI report, I'm trying to get a Russian police check (I lived there for a few years).  But getting a police check from Russia may not be easy.  I'm wondering if you have any testimonies to this effect:

    1) "I'm an American citizen who lived in country X for 5 years.  I was told I needed a police check from America, but they said nothing about country X.  I got my FBI check with an apostille, and they gave me my visa."

    2) "I'm an American citizen who lived in country X for 5 years.  I did not get my visa because I turned in my FBI check but failed to get a police check from country X."

    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 16/08/2022
      @Richard Hello Richard,

      Yes, you are right, the Supreme Decree 002-2021-IN says the following (for the religious visa article 84-B page 38: “5. Presentar el documento emitido por autoridad competente que acredite carecer de antecedentes judiciales, penales y policiales en el país de origen o en los que hubiera residido el solicitante por el periodo de cinco años anteriores a su llegada al territorio nacional.”

      In English: “Submit the document issued by a competent authority that proves the lack of judicial, criminal and police records in the country of origin or in which the applicant had lived for the period of five years prior to his arrival in the national territory.”

      So, if you are a US American but lived in Russia for the past 5 years, according to the Supreme Decree, you should only have to present a criminal record check from Russia (the article says either country of origin (in your case that would be the USA) or, if you have lived somewhere else for the past 5 years (in your case Russia), from this country).

      But in reality, this won’t be accepted by Migraciones. If the applicant is a US American, they expect to get an FBI criminal record check, no matter what. And in case the applicant lived in another country during the past 5 years before coming to Peru then they additionally want to have a criminal record check from this country, despite the “or”.

      For me the question is, how would Migraciones know / find out that you lived in another than your home country before coming to Peru? You only have to submit the pages of your passport with the personal data and the Peruvian entry stamp, not the visa pages. Ok, if your passport was issued in another than your home country then they might get suspicious. And, when I remember correctly, on the application form, you only have to give an address in Peru. So, the only way they could find out that you haven’t lived in your home country before coming to Peru, is when you tell them. Or do I miss something?

      Anyway, if you want to make sure that you don’t get any problems when applying for your religious visa, I personally would get the FBI criminal record check and the Russian Certificate of no criminal record (in Russian this should be the “Spravka o nalichii (otsutstvii) sudimosti” - Certificate of presence (absence) of a criminal record). By the way, the Russians are usually well organized with such matters and, if you are outside Russia, you can apply in person at the Consular Section of the nearest Russian Embassy (bring your passport and proof of your Russian residency); processing time is usually around a month or two and make sure the certificate has an Apostille).

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Charley · 22/07/2022
    Hi,  I am attempting to get my Peruvian Residency Visa though the Family Visa process.  To be honest the process has been a bit frustrating especially working with the Migraciones Digital website.  I get kicked off constantly.  
    Thank you for all the information on this website.  As part of the process I went to Interpol after paying for the ficha de canje.  I eventually received my background check from the FBI.  The background check comes in the mail but does not come with an Apostile.  So now I will most likely use the Apostile contact above to get that accomplished.  Too bad they don't do that all in one process.  Another thing is that the Migraciones agent evaluator told me that now I would have to get the same kind of background check through my state of California because the FBI report states that their background check may not include problems at the state and local level.  
    I noted above that their is an official fingerprint location in Lima at the PNP.  I have been trying to find a similar agency here in Arequipa.  No luck so far.  Does anyone have information about getting fingerprints completed correctly by an approved  agency in Arequipa Peru?  Can the Interpol office in Arequipa that did my original FBI approved fingerprints do the fingerprints for the DOJ in California?
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 22/07/2022
      @Charley Hello Charley,

      Yes, the FBI criminal record check doesn’t come automatically with an Apostille. You must send the by the FBI authenticated document to the US Department of State Authentications Office or use a service provider to get the Apostille.

      The rest of your message confuses me. The Interpol check has nothing to do with the antecedentes, in your case, the FBI check. Good, that you have it already; one headache less.

      While shortly after introducing the antecedentes requirement many background checks issued in different countries were rejected by Migraciones, at least for the past 7 or 8 months I haven’t heard that the FBI criminal record check (Identity History Summary) with Apostille and translated isn’t enough and you have to present another background check from your state. Either the FBI changed the document, or you have applied for another check, or Migraciones has changed their regulations, which might be possible but wasn’t communicated.

      And I wonder who is the “Migraciones agent evaluator” who told you that you need the check from your state? Did you already submit your resident visa application on the Agencia Digital? And uploaded the FBI check without Apostille? And got a message back in the buzón that you need an Apostille and the second check?

      In case Migraciones really requests a second check, I just did a quick Google search and to get a California background check, the “fingerprinting must be performed by a certified fingerprint roller or qualified law enforcement personnel.” So, I assume that the Interpol office, who according to you already did the fingerprinting for your FBI check (or was it for the ficha?), could be considered “certified fingerprint roller or qualified law enforcement personnel”. Otherwise, I would try the main PNP station, probably the oficina de criminalística, in Arequipa.

      Sorry, I can’t help here. But please let us know how the “saga” continues.

      Wishing you all the best.

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Sebastián · 13/07/2022

    Thanks for this. It's the best and most up date explanation in English of the process. I will be applying for a resident student visa soon. I'm from the U.S. Here, most of the required documents can be sent and received electronically, (fingerprints, completed FBI check, apostilled documents), and according to my university (probably as a result of the pandemic) these can be submitted to the Peruvian Migration Office electronically as well. You still have to physically show up where you have to show up in the process, but this particularl document is submitted electronically. So it sounds like it's not necessary to get the documents shipped everywhere. The only hang-up at the moment, which takes time no matter whether you are in the U.S. or not, is the apostille. It can take currently up to four weeks I'm told.

    When I am finished with the process, I can update here to verify everything, but thought it might help someone else. In the meantime I would still double-check the veracity of my comment.


    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 13/07/2022
      @Sebastián Hello Sebastián,

      Thank you for your nice words.

      Yes, if you are still in your home country, in your case the US, getting the FBI check is quite easy, at least if you know the process, though as you mentioned, takes a bit of time. The problem for many foreigners is that they are already in Peru when they notice that they need the antecendentes and then shipping documents back and forth unfortunately often is inevitable.

      Anyway, yes, you apply for all resident visas in Peru online on the Agencia Digital where you as well upload all required documents. You just have to show up at the Migraciones office one time to have your biometrical data (fingerprints, signature, photos) taken and one time to pick up your carné. In our article “Student visa” you find more detailed info, including a step-by-step guide about the visa application process.

      And here a third yes from me. It would be great, and I would highly appreciate, if you took the time to write us your experience about the process as soon as you are finished. Best use our contact form to send it to me. If it’s ok with you, I would publish it here as it’s always helpful for others to get the most current first-hand experiences.

      Hope hearing from you soon.


Peru Newsflash

Peru Event Calendar

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Latest Content...

Latest Video

Maria Reiche - Memories

Maria Reiche - Memories

Submitted by: Tintin
05 December 2021

Long Reads...

  • Peruvian Archaeology

    The Mystery of the Nazca Lines in Peru

    In the 1920s, when people first flew across southern Peru, they made an astonishing discovery. Stretching below them,…
  • Peruvian Personalities & Founders

    Francisco Pizarro González (1474-1541)

    Francisco Pizarro, a peasant from Spain, was one of the least well-equipped conquerors in history. However, in the name…
  • Peruvian Archaeology

    The colorful Fabrics and Textiles of Peru

    Europe’s first knowledge of Peruvian textiles was acquired following the Spanish invasion of Peru in 1532, when the…
  • Peruvian Legends, Myths & Tales

    The Jeweled Frog and the Condor

    By a quiet pond, at the side of a cloud-topped mountain in Peru, lived a small green frog and his large green family.…
  • Peru Info

    Peruvian Economy

    The Peruvian economy is an emerging, social market economy highly dependent on foreign trade and classified as an upper…