Located at the end of a once elegant avenue in Rimac at the foot of San Cristobal, the Convento de Los Descalzos, the Convent of the Barefoot Friars, was founded in 1595 as a place of spiritual retreat surrounded by fields and vineyards. Even though today it's right in the middle of sprawling and hectic Lima, the Convent still is a tranquil and relaxing refuge. Since the 1980s the convent houses an impressive museum displaying three centuries of religious art.
Although, like many historical buildings in Lima, the declared National Historic Landmark suffers from age, the humid climate and pollution in Peru's capital and a tight budget, the amazing architecture and willingness of the convent's foundation to preserve this treasure is impressive.
Remarkable are the religious art pieces and paintings spread around the convent, the Ayacuchan cloister, the sculptures of St. Francis of Assisi and St. Claire in the vestibule, the beautiful courtyard with its original flooring, the old apothecary equipment and the wine cellar with its huge wooden barrels.