Triple Sandwiches are part of the everyday Peruvian culinary culture. Simple and healthy (at least if you go easy on the mayonnaise or skip it completely) Triples are eaten everywhere by everyone. Served cut into finger food sized triangles, they are great for a light lunch or in between and no private celebration goes without them.
The traditional Triple is prepared with 3 or 4 slices of plain white sandwich bread thinly spread with mayonnaise and filled with layers of fresh avocados, tomatoes and slices of hard-boiled egg. That's it! And what's so special about it? Honestly, nothing but the combination of these simple ingredients is just great.
Triples come in many variations. Sometimes chicken or tuna salad is added or instead of fresh slices of avocados and egg avocado paste and egg salad is used. And today you also find Triples made with whole-wheat bread.
And as a Triple is so easy and quick prepared, you can really do it on your own no matter where you are in the world. This way you not only can eat a delicious sandwich but also have a small piece of Peru at your home.
Below find our basic recipe. If you want to add some extra flavor, combine some tuna or shredded chicken breast with the egg and a bit of mayonnaise and season with aji panca or chili. Addicting!
LimaEasy's basic Recipe for a Triple Sandwich
- First prepare the ingredients: trim crusts from the bread,slice the avocado and season with lime juice, salt and pepper; cut the tomato and the hard-boiled egg into slices and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste
- Spread mayonnaise on a slice of bread and layer it with the avocado slices.
- Take the next slice of bread and spread it thinly from both sides with mayonnaise - place it on top of the avocado layer.
- Place the tomato slices on top.
- Again spread the next slice of bread thinly from both sides with mayonnaise and place it on top of the tomato layer.
- Place the eggs on top and finish off your Triple Sandwich with the last slice of bread thinly spread only on one side with mayonnaise.
- Cut the sandwich into two or four triangles.
- Eenjoy the Peruvian flavor of simplicity.