Peruvian Student Visa

Peruvian Student Visa

A Guide to Peruvian Visas

Part 2

Foreigners planning to study at a Peruvian educational institution or to do an internship / apprenticeship (without payment!) at a Peruvian company, have to apply for a student visa.

Depending on the length of your studies in Peru, a temporary student visa, called Formación temporal (issued for studies less than 12 months) or a resident student visa, called Formación residente (for studies longer than 12 months) is issued.

However, in some cases, "short-term" students and participants of study abroad programs don't have to apply for a student visa at all but can do their studies on a tourist visa. So, best check with the Peruvian university, the organization of your exchange program or nearest Peruvian consulate if this exception might apply to you.

Please note: the Peruvian educational institution or training facility you plan to study / do an internship has to be recognized by the Peruvian Ministry of Education or the National Assembly of University Rectors.


Applying for a Student Visa

Officially, you can apply for a temporary or resident student visa at a Peruvian consulate abroad or at Migraciones in Peru. However, while diplomatic missions in the US and a few other countries issue the visa without a problem, consulates in other countries don't. So, students or interns enter Peru on a tourist visa and then change their immigration status from tourist to either temporary student or resident student - make a so called Cambio de calidad migratoria (as opposed to a Solicitud de calidad migratoria at a consulate) - at Migraciones.


Requirements for a Peruvian Student Visa

In mid-July 2021 the new TUPA (Texto Unico de Procedimientos Administrativos; Single Text of Administrative Procedures) went into effect, which is mainly based on the Peruvian Supreme Decree DS N° 002-2021-IN. This new legislation changes a few immigration processes, procedures, and requirements for some Migraciones paperwork.

So below, find the requirements according to the July 2021 TUPA. As the document is quite confusing, we recommend that those who prefer to read the original requirements either check out the official website of Peru (only for resident visa) or better the corresponding text passage of the Supreme Decree DS N° 002-2021-IN.

  • For temporary student visa on page 29 in article 73-A “Procedimiento administrative de solicitud de calidad migratoria formación temporal” (when applying at a Peruvian consulate) or in article 73-C “Procedimiento administrativo de cambio de calidad migratoria formación temporal” on page 30 when applying at Migraciones in Peru.
  • For resident student visa in article 83-A “Procedimiento administrative de Solicitud de Calidad Migratoria de Formación” on page 36 (when applying in Peru) or in article 83-B “Procedimiento administrative de cambio de calidad migratoria formacion residente” on page 37 when applying in Peru.

However, please be aware that Migraciones has the right to request other and / or additional documents at any time.

As the best source of information for applying abroad is the Peruvian consulate, below the requirements and a walk-trough of the application process when applying in Peru.

Requirement documents to apply for a student visa in Peru include, but may not be restricted to:

  • Form F-007 (must be downloaded during the application process, filled in and uploaded again)
  • Interpol clearance - Ficha de canje internacional (see below)
  • Receipt for paid application fee (code Migraciones 07568; S/.162.50 in 2022)
  • Passport
  • Antecedentes policiales, penales y judiciales (Police clearance certificate, criminal record and judicial matters check) issued in the country of origin and, if the applicant lived in another country before coming to Peru, in the country of residence covering the last 5 years (*) (**)
  • For students: Enrollment certification issued by the recognized Peruvian educational institution
  • For exchange students: Official letter from the Peruvian host university or higher education institution 
  • For interns: Official letter from the Peruvian company
  • Proof of sufficient financial resources or sworn statement stating that you (in case of minors, the parents) have sufficient financial resources to fund your studies or internship in Peru

(*) All foreign documents need an Apostille or, if the country in which they were issued didn't sign the Apostille Convention (like Canada, for example) have to be legalized by a Peruvian consulate abroad and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Peru. Additionally, all documents, apostilled or legalized, have to be translated into Spanish by a certified translator in Peru, in case they are not solely in Spanish!

(**) As we get many question about the “Antecedentes policiales, penales y judiciales” we dedicated a separate article to the topic where we explain in detail what kind of document you need, where you get it and what to watch out for when applying for it.

One of the requirements to apply for a resident visa in Peru or to change your visa type, for example from a work visa to a permanent resident visa...


Getting started ...

Before you can even start any temporary or resident visa application process, you first have to get the so-called “Ficha de Canje Internacional” from Interpol in Peru. Find a detailed description of how it’s done in our article “Interpol - Ficha de Canje Internacional”.

All foreigners must present the Ficha de Canje Internacional to Migraciones when changing their immigration status – either from a temporary visa o...

Make PDFs from your passport (page with your personal data), and from all other documents.


Applying for a student visa in Peru

Once you have the Ficha and all documents together, pay the fee of S/ 162.50 (2022) for the Migraciones administrative procedure “Cambio de Calidad Migratoria” under code 07568 with "concepto": "Formacion temporal" or "Formacion residente" at any Banco de la Nacion branch or ATM or on pagalo.pe. As you already paid the Interpol fee, you know how the systems works, otherwise check again in our article "Paying administration charges and processing fees in Peru".

All administration charges and processing fees government agencies, public authorities and entities levy in Peru have to be paid at the Banco de la...

Then open the Migraciones Agencia Digital. Choose "Extranjero" and enter the data requested. Enter your personal data exactly as in your passport.

On the next page you find on the left under “Cambio de Calidad Migratoria” the points “Formacion Temporal” and “Formacion Residente”. Choose the one that applies.

Then just follow the steps as indicated; nothing you can do wrong. Always check that all personal data you entered (or was automatically filled in) is 100% correct.

During the process - under “Pago por derecho de tramite” - you are asked to enter certain information of the bank receipt (click on the little arrow and the fields appear). If you don't know where to find the requested bank information on your receipt, click on the question mark.

Under “Documento de identificacion adminstrado” (click on the little arrow and the fields appear - here you can as well just check which documents are necessary and then leave the page without finishing the process), you have to upload requested documents as PDF.

Be aware that at one point during the application process you have to download the F007 form, fill it in and then upload it again with all your other documents.

At the end of the process - if everything works smoothly - you get the confirmation of your application. Download this document and / or print it and keep it safe.

At the bottom of this document, you find the login data for the “Buzon Electronico” which you should check regularly for notifications from Migraciones (for example, request to upload missing / other documents, approval of your visa or appointment for taking your biometrical data / photo, fingerprints, signature).


Getting your Carné (foreigner ID)

Once you get the confirmation that your student visa was approved, pay the fee of S/ 49.90 on pagalo.pe under code 07561-Formulario F-SPE-001 for the registration in the foreigner database and issuance of the carné; temporary student visa applicants choose under concepto "Expedición de carné temporal migratorio - CTM", while resident student visa applicants select "Expedición del carné de extranjeria".

Then once again enter the Agencia Digtal to do the online registration under “Inscr. Reg. central extranjeria”. As before, just follow the steps as indicated. Check that all information is correct. At the end, you get a confirmation which you should download and / or print and keep safe.

Usually, around the same time (sometimes even before you get the confirmation of the visa approval), you receive an appointment for getting your biometrical data (photos, signature and fingerprints) taken. As the appointment is usually within 3 to 5 days after the message was sent to you, we highly recommend checking your buzón electronico regularly to not miss anything. Be aware that in Lima, the biometrical data is taken at the Migraciones office on Jr. Carabaya and not at the main office in Breña.

Be at the office 15 - 30 minutes before your appointment with all your documents (passport, appointment, application, approval). The process is quick and astonishingly well organized; you should be done in less than half an hour. The staff usually tells you when you should make an appointment to pick up your carné, but often a message is sent as well via the buzón electronico, so keep an eye on that. Expect to wait 10 - 14 days while your carné is in the process of being issued.

Then make an appointment on the Agencia Digital under “Citas en linea” to pick up your carné. Once again, download and / or print the confirmation and keep it safe.

On the day of your appointment, arrive at Migraciones 15 - 30 minutes early. Take your passport and confirmation(s) with you. Migraciones personal will point you in the right direction where you are handed you carné.

Congratulations! You made it!


Can I work on a student visa in Peru?

No! The Peruvian student visa doesn’t allow foreigners to work or engage in any professional activity receiving a remuneration. To do a professional (paid) internship or to work during official university vacations, foreign students can apply for a special authorization to work. This is done on the Agencia Digital under "Permisos".

Please note: We from LimaEasy are not the Peruvian immigration authority Migraciones or a Peruvian consulate. All information is published to our best knowledge and should be seen as general guidance introducing you to Peruvian procedures. All information is subject to change, as regulations, requirements and processes can change quickly without prior notice! Therefore, we recommend checking the current regulations with the nearest Peruvian consulate or, if you are already in Peru, with Migraciones!

Say something here...
characters left
or post as a guest
Loading comment... The comment will be refreshed after 00:00.
  • This commment is unpublished.
    Sebastián · 13/07/2022

    Thanks for this. This is the best explanation in English of the process. The only discrepancy that may exist between this page and the Peruvian Migraciones page on this (https://www.gob.pe/12881-solicitud-de-visa-para-residentes-segun-su-calidad-migratoria-visa-para-residente-por-formacion?token=PN04T50np9abRy8rc6Uvns2ytQv2AlZ3gBlutLXAUoM) is the following:
    "For exchange students: Official letter from the foreign university or higher education institution" which I believe comes from this on the Migraciones page:
    "En caso de intercambio estudiantil: Copia simple de la carta de acreditación de la universidad o institución educativa, reconocida por el Estado peruano, que recibe al beneficiario, indicando los nombres y apellidos y el tiempo de duración de estudio igual o superior a un (1) año."
    My interpretation of this originally was that you need the document from the RECEIVING university in Peru, not the foreign university. I doubted myself once I read this page, and asked my Peruvian university contact. She confirmed that even exchange students only need the paperwork from the host university (in Peru). Again, I will confirm this when I am finished with the process, as I'm diving into it now.

    Thank you!


    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 13/07/2022
      @Sebastián Hello Sebastián,

      I see you already found our Student visa article.

      Anyway, I just checked the current Supreme Decree 002-2021-IN which is the base for the publications on the gob.pe website. And you are right. There in black and white you can read that the required document must be issued by the receiving (!!!) university, not the foreign one as I wrote above.

      Since I can remember the foreign university had to write this letter and it always was quite a mission to get an Apostille on it. So, they must have changed it last year, when the procedures were updated and I overlooked it. Thank you so much for pointing this out to me.

      It makes me happy to have such attentive readers helping to keep LimaEasy as accurate and up-to-date as possible!

      Thanks again!

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Max · 30/05/2022
    Hi, Eva! Thank you very much for this great article. It's the best on the Internet on this topic.

    I’d like to learn Spanish in Lima for 2 years in order to get a citizeship after that. And I have a master degree. And I wonder, should I take my master diploma with apostile or no? Also, I am not sure, if I need my secondary school diploma with apostile? Can you, please, tell me if I need to get these two diplomas with me to Peru. Will I need them both? Or may be just a master diploma is enough? Or none of them?
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 30/05/2022
      @Max Hello Max,

      Thank you so much for the praise. What a great way to start a new week.

      It seems you have a solid plan, but I fear it might not work out as you have planned. I could be wrong, but as far as I interpret the regulations, students can’t get the Peruvian nationality by naturalization.

      Have a look into the Ley de Nacionalidad 26574 article 3b. There you find that foreigners who want to apply for the Peruvian nationality by naturalization have to “exercise a profession, art, trade or business (“Ejercer regularmente profesión, arte, oficio o actividad impresarial.”); there are a couple of exceptions from this rule, for example, for foreign spouses of Peruvians and professional athletes, but as far as I could find not for students. As you are not allowed to work in Peru on a student visa, you can’t fulfil this requirement. You could, of course, apply for a work permit, but I’m not sure if this will be accepted.

      The Nationality Law is from 1996, but still valid even though it was updated many times. The latest update was last year with the Supreme Decree 002-2021-INM but, as far as I know, article 3 was never changed.

      Additionally, check out above mentioned Supreme Decree article 9 (page 35 of the pdf which is page 53 of the document). There you find the current requirements to apply for the Peruvian nationality by naturalization: among them 2 years of legal residency in the country and proof of at least 10 UITs monthly income (in 2022 that’s S/ 46,000 per month). Starting with “h” requirements are listed according to the migratory status. Unfortunately, there the student visa isn’t mentioned.

      And if you check the government website, there as well the only visa types that seem to be able to apply for the Peruvian nationality by naturalization are work visa (dependent or independent), religious visa and investor visa; additionally, you can get the Peruvian nationality by marriage or if you are an athlete.

      So, before doing anything else, best check with Migraciones or a Peruvian consulate, if it’s even possible to get the Peruvian nationality by naturalization if you lived in Peru on a student visa.

      To answer your actual questions: I don’t know, what exactly your plans are, so giving advice on which documents you need is difficult. You should have your Master Decree with Apostille with you; if you don’t need it for getting into a university or language school, you might need it later, for example, when applying for a job. I can’t imagine that the university (or language school) where you learn Spanish wants to see your general school qualification for university entrance, but who knows, best to ask there. But you should take your birth certificate with Apostille with you, depending where you study, this might be requested.

    • This commment is unpublished.
      Max · 02/06/2022
      @Sunflower Hello, Eva! Thank you very much for you kind and very detailed reply… I am exceedingly grateful. Oooh, your information is a little bit dissapointing(. Because I was sure that if I were a student for 2 years in Peru that would be considered as 2 years of legal residency for naturalization purposes. This is exactly what lots of other websites on the Internet is claiming. Also they write that you need $1000 monthly income (not $12 000). I know that most of the information on the Internet is disinformation(… Thank you very much!..
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 02/06/2022
      @Max Hello Max,

      As mentioned above that's how I see the situation. Best contact a Peruvian consulate or Migraciones to see what they have to say. I could be wrong and there is a way.

      And the US$ 1000 is necessary if you apply for a retirement visa.


  • This commment is unpublished.
    Victor · 20/05/2022
    Hello, I'm in the process of getting a student visa for 12 months. Is there any precedent of getting the visa while on an expired tourist visa? I'll be entering Peru from Canada. My apostilla equivalent will require several months to be completed - I'll have the documents for our lawyer while 2-3 months overstaying in Peru. Thank you in advance
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 20/05/2022
      @Victor Hello Victor

      Did I understand correctly? You are in Canada at the moment but will come to Peru on a tourist visa. As getting a document with Apostille takes quite some time you will be overstaying your tourist visa and then being in Peru on an expired visa want to apply for a student resident visa once you have the document?

      The problem is that you can only “apply” for your resident visa, the correct term is “change your immigration status” in your case from tourist to resident formación, when you are still on a valid visa (for example tourist visa) in Peru. So, as soon as your tourist visa expires, you are not only illegally in the country, but you usually can not change to a resident visa. And no, there is no easy to get “inbetween” visa to bridge the time from when your tourist visa expires, and you get the document enabling you to apply for your resident visa.

      The only thing you could do, is leave Peru before your tourist visa expires, re-enter and hope you get another 30, 60 or even 90 days; but you might only get a week or two.


  • This commment is unpublished.
    Max · 16/05/2022
    Hello, thank you for this extremely helpful article.

    Do you you know if they ask for a Birth Certificate either when you applying for a long term student visa or for a peruvian passport?

    Thank you in advance for your reply.
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 16/05/2022
      @Max Hello Max,

      A birth certificate is not on the requirement list for applying for student resident visa in Peru. However, most universities ask for one when you enroll. Be aware that if you are not Peruvian, the birth certificate needs an Apostille (or, if the country didn’t sign the Apostille Convention has to be legalized) which only can be done in the country it was issued, and if it’s not in Spanish, has to be translated by a certified translator in Peru.

      Your question about the Peruvian passport leaves me a bit confused. You only get a Peruvian passport if one of your parents is Peruvian, you were born in Peru, or you got the Peruvian nationality by naturalization. But if you are Peruvian, you don’t need to apply for a student visa. Once your visa application is approved, you apply for the so-called carné de extranjería for which you do not need a birth certificate.

      Anyway, to answer your question about needing a birth certificate when applying for a Peruvian passport, no, for the passport application the Peruvian birth certificate is not necessary. But you need your DNI and if you apply for your DNI for the first time, yes you need your Peruvian birth certificate or if you got your Peruvian nationality by naturalization your foreign birth certificate and your naturalization documents.

  • This commment is unpublished.
    Em · 08/12/2021
    Hi I don't require visa for 90 days as I am a Japanese citizen. Am I able to study during those time? If I need to apply for a student visa, am I able to change student visa to tourist visa after study period finishes?
    • This commment is unpublished.
      • LimaEasy
      · 08/12/2021

      It depends on for how long, what and where you study, if you must apply for a student visa or not. As you seem to plan studying only for a short time in Peru, you should get in contact with the Peruvian university, educational institution or the organization of your exchange program where you plan to study.

      And no, in case you have a temporary student visa let's say for 3 months, you can not switch to a tourist visa once the student visa is expired and you can not get another 90 days.



Peru Event Calendar

Latest Content...

Latest Video

Maria Reiche - Memories

Maria Reiche - Memories

Submitted by: Tintin
05 December 2021

Long Reads...

  • Peruvian Archaeology

    The Mystery of the Nazca Lines in Peru

    In the 1920s, when people first flew across southern Peru, they made an astonishing discovery. Stretching below them,…
  • Peruvian Personalities & Founders

    Francisco Pizarro González (1474-1541)

    Francisco Pizarro, a peasant from Spain, was one of the least well-equipped conquerors in history. However, in the name…
  • Peruvian Archaeology

    The colorful Fabrics and Textiles of Peru

    Europe’s first knowledge of Peruvian textiles was acquired following the Spanish invasion of Peru in 1532, when the…
  • Peruvian Legends, Myths & Tales

    The Jeweled Frog and the Condor

    By a quiet pond, at the side of a cloud-topped mountain in Peru, lived a small green frog and his large green family.…
  • Peru Info

    Peruvian Economy

    The Peruvian economy is an emerging, social market economy highly dependent on foreign trade and classified as an upper…