The Ministry of the Interior is the institution in Peru responsible for administrating the interior government of the country maintaining and, if necessary, restoring the internal and public order as well as the internal security.
It exercises command over the National Police of Peru (PNP), the National Fire Department of Peru (INBP), the National Superintendency of Control of Security Services, Arms, Ammunition and Explosives for Civil Use (Sucamec), and the National Superintendency of Migration (Migraciones).
- to protect and guarantee the free exercise of fundamental rights and freedom of the people
- to maintain and establish internal order, public order, internal security and social peace
- to prevent and combat delinquency, and to investigate crimes
- to ensure the vigilance and integrity of the nation's borders as well as to protect and maintain custody over public and private heritage
- to realize intelligence activities
- to direct, conduct, coordinate, and supervise the actions of the interior government and immigration and naturalization as well as to control security services, weapons, munitions, and civil-use explosives