- This commment is unpublished.· 07/09/2022@Pam Hello Pam,
yes, here in Peru we use the metric system. So, the cake is baked at 180°C.
Anyway, I have overlooked to convert the degree Celsius into Fahrenheit for our US American readers. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I just added the °F to the text; it's 350°F.
Enjoy your Peruvian Torta de Chocolate.
Chocolate Cake might not originate in Peru, but the Peruvian version is truly sensational. The extremely sweet and rich Torta de Chocolate is full of the exceptional Peruvian cacao flavors and aromas.
And if this wouldn't be enough the cake is covered - or additionally even filled - with a heavy and creamy fudge. A cake to die for - at least if you like to indulge ...
Peruvian Chocolate Cake is really easy and quick to prepare, you don't even need a mixer. Only the fudge will keep you tied to the oven for a while. But the result is definitely worth the effort. And as Torta de Chocolate is all about the chocolate, we recommend using good quality cacao, best of course from Peru.
LimaEasy's Recipe for Peruvian Chocolate Cake
Ingredients for the cake:
- 480 ml (2 cups) milk
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 360 g (3 cups) all-purpose-flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 120 g (1 cup) good quality cacao
- 180 ml (0.8 cup) neutral oil
- 3 eggs
- 500 g (2.5 cups) white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
Ingredients for the fudge:
- 1 tin (397 g, 14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tin (410 ml, 12 oz.) evaporated milk
- 60 g (1/2 cup) good quality cacao
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 knob butter
Preparation of the cake:
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a round o rectangular baking dish with baking paper.
- Add vinegar to the milk and set aside for a few minutes.
- In a big bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and cacao. Constantly stirring, add first the oil and milk, then the eggs and last the sugar and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour the cake batter in the prepared baking pan. Make sure it's only ¾ full as the cake will raise. Bake for about an hour and then let it cool.
Preparation of the fudge:
- Dissolve the cacao in 3 tablespoons warm evaporated milk.
- Then put the sweetened condensed milk, the evaporated milk, and the cacao into a saucepan.
- Stirring the entire time, cook at a rolling boil until the mixture thickens and gets creamy. This might take 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and butter, combining them well. Remove from heat.
- Now generously cover your cake with the fudge. You as well can cut the cake horizontally and spread a bit a fudge on each layer.