Crema Volteada, literally meaning "upside down cream", is probably better known as the Peruvian version of Crème Caramel. Sweet and rich while at the same time being so simple and somehow light, this addictive dessert is loved around the country.
And even though Cream Volteada isn't from Peru, it belongs here as it's one of the most popular comfort foods in the country.
While today often canned sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk is found on the ingredient list of lots of recipes, the only few ingredients a good Crema Volteada needs - next to the caramel sauce - are fresh whole milk, eggs, sugar and some vanilla.
And as it is so easy to prepare Crema Volteada at home find below our recipe. While in Peru the Crema Volteada is often prepared in a big round baking pan with a hole in the middle to feed the big family, we from LimaEasy use ramekins. If you prefer one of these large baking dishes, double the amounts of below mentioned ingredients for a round baking pan with 24 cm (10") diameter..
LimaEasy's Recipe for Peruvian Crema Volteada
Ingredients for the caramel sauce:
- 180 g (0.9 cup) sugar
- 3 Tbsp water
- squeeze of lime juice
Ingredients for the custard:
- 500 ml (2 cups) fresh whole milk
- 170 g (0.85 cup) sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1tsp vanilla extract
Preparation of the caramel sauce:
- Butter the sides of the 5 ramekins and set aside.
- Pour the sugar and 3 tablespoons of water into a stainless steel pan. Place the pot on medium heat and constantly stir with a wooden spoon.
- As soon the sugar is dissolved, stop stirring otherwise the sugar will crystalize. Add a squeeze of lime juice and let boil.
- After a few minutes the sugar water turns into a nice caramel sauce. Once the caramel has a golden brownish color, remove from heat immediately. Make sure it's not getting too dark; else your caramel sauce tastes bitter.
- Quickly pour around 3 - 4 tablespoons into each prepared ramekin. Set aside and let cool.
- Resist the temptation to taste. The caramel is dangerously hot!
Preparation of the custard:
- Once your Caramel Sauce is prepared, pre-heat the oven to 150°C (300°F).
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs and egg yolks until well combined and creamy.
- Gradually add the sugar and continue whisking until it's completely dissolved.
- Then pour in the milk and keep whisking. Stir in the vanilla essence.
- Place the ramekins with the caramel sauce into a big enough oven-proof dish and fill them with the egg-milk mixture.
- Place the dish into the oven and pour boiling water into it until the ramekins are nearly completely covered. Be careful that the water doesn't get into the ramekins.
- Leave to bake for around 60 minutes. When the custard is properly set, take the Crema Volteada out of the oven and remove from the bain-marie.
- Set aside to cool. Once cool place in the fridge until it's time for dessert (best overnight or at least a few hours).
- To serve, just carefully loosen the edges with a knife and turn upside down on a plate.