Arroz con Leche, the Peruvian version of rice pudding, is a popular and extremely sweet dessert. Brought to Peru by the Spanish conquerors, it's made with simple ingredients like rice, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk. A delicious and simple to prepare goody.
Every mum and cook has its own recipe for Arroz con Leche here in Peru with at least one "secret" ingredient. Anyhow, below find an easy to follow recipe that brings this delicious Peruvian dessert to your home. Only drawback: it confines you to the stove for quite some time, stirring your rice pudding.
LimaEasy's Recipe for Peruvian Arroz con Leche
- 200g (1 cup) rice
- 650 ml (2.7 cups) water
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 tin (400 ml) evaporated milk
- 1 tin (400 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- cinnamon powder
- Pour the water into a heavy saucepan. Add the juice of the orange, the cinnamon stick and the cloves. Bring to a boil.
- Wash the rice thoroughly and add to the boiling water. Bring to a boil again. Then reduce heat and let simmer without lid until the water is gone and the rice is soft (about 15 – 20 minutes) Remove the cloves and the cinnamon stick.
- Add the evaporated milk. Constantly stirring, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer continuing stirring until the mixture thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Then add the sweetened condensed milk. Without stopping to stir, continue cooking over low heat until your rice pudding gets creamy (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in the vanilla essence.
- Fill the rice pudding in a bowl or small glasses, sprinkle with cinnamon powder and serve hot or cold.