In the middle of the 18th century, Viceroy Manuel de Amat drew up plans for the construction of a special bullfight ring in Lima. Since 1538, when the first bullfight according to Ricardo Palma, famous Peruvian writer, took place, most bullfights spectacles were held on the Plaza Mayor and later at a simple wooden construction built on the place of the Plaza de Acho. The Plaza de Acho we know today was inaugurated in 1766 near the Rimac river.
It is not only considered to be the oldest bullfight ring in America and the third oldest after the "Real Maestranza de Seville" and the "Coso de la Misercordia de Zaragoza" in the world but as well the most beautiful and famous. Originally built in an octagonal shape the Plaza de Acho was modified and enlarged in 1865, 1944 and 1961. Today it has a circular shape. At the entrance you find the "Museo Taurino de la Plaza de Acho" (Bullfight Museum), a must for fans of bullfights. In Limas Plaza de Acho even until today bullfights are presented. A highlight of the bullfight season is the annually bullfighting event called "Feria Taurina del Señor de los Milagros".