In April 1561 Diego Lopez de Zuñiga asked the Spanish Crown for the authorization to establish a "currency house" in Lima to bring order to the various currencies issued in the country. The permission for unified silver coins was granted by Felipe II in August 1565. The production began almost immediately in the Government Palace and other places, later then as well in the "Casa de la Moneda".
This beautiful preserved mansion housed for some time the ancient "Tribunal Mayor de Cuentas" (main court of auditors or main court of accounts). Since 2004 one floor of the building is occupied by the Museo Numismatico del Perú (Numismatic Museum) with its amazing exhibition of fantastic ancient Peruvian coins and banknotes. The collection beautifully visualizes the history of money in Peru.