The Archbishop Palace is situated directly at Plaza de Armas, Lima's main square, next to the Cathedral. This important place in the middle of town reflects the immense power the church had in Colonial Lima. Constructions for the Cathedral of Lima and the original "Palacio Arzobispal" started shortly after the foundation of Lima in 1535.
The palace was built using only the finest materials shipped in from the old world, like cedar wood and mahogany, tiles from Seville, bronze and marble. In 1924 the Archbishops Palace was completely reconstructed and renovated. Since 2009 the palace is open to the public.
The first floor is used for temporal exhibitions displaying religious art and cultural pieces. On the second floor the antique decoration and flair are still preserved. Fitted out with old furniture, paintings and other objects from different time periods, the Archbishop of Lima fulfills here his official obligations. The third floor houses a part of the Cathedral's archives, an investigation and restoration area.