Visa Requirements & Regulations for Peru

Visa Requirements & Regulations for Peru Visa Requirements & Regulations for Peru

Tourist Visa for Peru

General Info

  • Travelers need a passport valid at least half a year with at least 2 free pages in the visa section when entering Peru.
  • The maximum stay in Peru on a tourist visa is 183 days (per year)!
  • You can't extent your tourist visa once you entered Peru!
  • Peruvian tourist visa are single entry visa only!
  • Like in most countries around the world you are not allowed to work on a tourist visa!
  • In case you need to sign any important contracts (work contract, apartment purchase, sometimes even a marriage certificate...) you need a permission to sign contracts otherwise the papers aren't legal! You can get this permit quite easily at the Immigration Office "Dirección General de Migraciones y Naturalizacion", Av. España 734 in Breña.

According to Peruvian law foreign visitors must have a return or onward ticket /passage when entering the country. While this law isn't enforced by Peruvian immigrations, airlines often demand to see a return or onward ticket when checking in for a flight to Peru. If you can't provide one, most airlines refuse boarding the plane. So in case you are planning to leave Peru for example by bus, check with the airline, if they accept a bus ticket or similar to avoid unpleasant surprises at the airport.

Do I need a Tourist Visa for Peru?

In general citizens of the countries in the listing below do NOT have to apply for a visa at an embassy or consulate before entering Peru. A passport valid at least six months with at least 2 free pages in the visa section is enough to get a Tourist Visa (actually it's only an entry stamp) directly at the border or the airport. Children should travel on their own passport with photo. Below listed countries can get a tourist visa at airport immigrations or any other Peruvian border without applying for it at an embassy or consulate (for a more detailed listing, please check out our pdf document "Visa Obligation for Foreign Nationals in Peru" above as published by the Peruvian Ministry of Foreign Affairs):

  • North America: Citizens of the United States, Canada and Mexico
  • Central America: Citizens of most Central American countries (exception Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic)
  • South America: Citizens of all South American countries
  • Europe: Citizens of all countries within the European Union and Switzerland
  • Africa: Citizens of South Africa
  • Asia: Citizens of Brunei, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand
  • Oceania: Citizens of Australia and New Zealand

Also have a look at the following PDF document with a detailed country listing:

pdfVisa Obligation for Foreign Nationals in Peru

Please note that it is your nationality and not a potential residence permit in another country that is the deciding factor if you need a visa or not!

Peruvian Tourist Visa Requirements & Procedures

Nationals of a few other countries (see our pdf document "Visa Obligation for Foreign Nationals in Peru" above as published by the Peruvian Ministry of Foreign Affairs) need a visa even for tourism purposes. Peru doesn't offer online visa application, so these nationals have to apply for their tourist visa at the Peruvian Consulate that has jurisdiction over their domicile or country of residence.

Unfortunately especially in Africa and Asia, the continents where most residents have to apply for a tourist visa, there are only a few Peruvian Diplomatic Missions. So finding the correct one and applying for the visa can be a mission. As the Peruvian Foreign Ministry unfortunately doesn't publish which consulate has the jurisdiction over which countries, we recommend getting in contact with the nearest Peruvian Consulate in case there is none in your country of residence. Check out our section "Peruvian Embassies & Consulates Worldwide" to find a Peruvian Diplomatic Mission close by.

Visa requirements for a tourist visa include, but may not be restricted to:

  • Application Form
  • Valid Passport
  • Round Trip Ticket
  • Hotel Reservation, Tourist Package Reservation or Invitation Letter
  • Proof of sufficient funds
  • In some countries personal interview
  • In some countries proof of legal residency
  • Passport photos
  • Application Fee

Extension of Peruvian Tourist Visa

Since July 2008 it is NOT possible to extend your tourist visa once you have entered Peru!!! When arriving at the airport or border, make sure you get a visa for the time you intent to stay. After Peruvian law the maximum time for a tourist to stay in the country is 183 days per year.

Expired Tourist Visa

If your tourist visa is for whatever (intentional or unintentional) reasons expired, you don't have to fear extreme consequences. When leaving the country you will be asked to pay a "fine" of US$ 1. - per day since the expiration of your visa. Depending on where you leave the country, you can pay this fee at a branch of the "Banco de la Nación" (i.e. within the vicinity of the airport). After that you get your exit stamp and can leave Peru.

If you can't pay this fee you will be held in custody until someone pays it for you. Better be prepared and have the cash in US Dollar on hand.

Of course we would like to advise you, to have your visa up-to-date at all times! Even if you usually don't get any trouble, there is always a slight possibility someone will check your passport. In the worst case scenario this might lead to your arrest and deportation to your home country.

Please note: LimaEasy has no affiliation with the Peruvian Government or any Peruvian Embassy / Consulate abroad. All visa information is published to our best knowledge, but subject to change without prior notice! Therefore we recommend checking the current regulations before your trip to Peru with the nearest Peruvian Consulate or Embassy!

Business Visa for Peru

Regardless of the nationality, anyone travelling to Peru for business purposes, especially when business contracts or agreements are signed or business related financial transaction are made, has to apply for a business visa at a Peruvian Consulate before entering the country. The Peruvian business visa is a multiple entry visa and entitles its holder to enter Peru within a time period of 12 months from the date of issue. The maximum stay on a business is 183 day per year, but the consulates abroad reserve the right to grant visas for shorter stays. Peruvian business visa can't be extended.

Visa requirement for a Peruvian Business Visa include, but may not be restricted to:

  • Application Form
  • Valid Passport
  • Round Trip Ticket
  • Letter from the company sponsoring the business trip, indicating the purpose of the visit to Peru, length of the stay, and assurance that the business person is travelling with sufficient funds to last the duration of the trip
  • Proof of legal residency in the country you are applying
  • Passport photos
  • Application fee

Student Visa

Students planning to study at a Peruvian educational institution or wanting to do an internship / apprenticeship (without payment) at a Peruvian company, have to apply for a student visa. Please note that the Peruvian educational institution or training facility has to be recognized by the Peruvian Ministry of Education or the National Assembly of University Rectors.

Peruvian Diplomatic Missions abroad don't issue Student Visa anymore. Students or interns have to enter Peru on a tourist visa and then change their immigration status at Peru's immigration office DIGEMIN.

Requirements for a Student visa include, but may not be restricted to:

  • Passport valid at least 6 months
  • Valid (tourist) visa at the time of application
  • For Students: Enrollment certification issued by a recognized educational institution
  • For interns: Official letter from the foreign university or higher education institution, legalized by the Peruvian Consulate (or stamped with an Apostille) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
  • Proof of sufficient financial resources to fund your studies or internship in Peru
  • Application form and fee

Volunteer Visa

Peru has no special visa for volunteers. Travelers planning to volunteer in Peru enter the country on a tourist visa and are allowed to volunteer (without payment) at a charitable organization or institution for a maximum of 183 days.

Entering Peru

Entering Peru is quite easy. Already shortly before landing the stewardesses on your airplane will hand you the "Tarjeta Andina de Migracion" (TAM) and a customs declaration form. If you are entering by land, you get the forms at the border.

The Andean Migration Card is available in Spanish and English. Fill out your personal data and after disembarking hand it together with your passport to the immigration officer at the immigration control. If you are not obliged to apply for a visa at a Peruvian consulate in your home country before entering Peru, the officer will stamp your passport and write a number on or next to the stamp indicating the numbers of days you are allowed to stay in the country. Even though the maximum stay on a tourist visa is 183 days, the immigration officers reserve the right to grant any number of days up to 183 days they think appropriate. Make sure you get the amount of days on your tourist visa at immigration you intent to stay in Peru. The upper part of the TAM stays with immigrations; the bottom part is handed back to you.

Take good care of your part of the TAM! Hotel personal will ask you for it when checking in as you are exempted from paying 19% Peruvian VAT on your bill. Additionally you need it again when leaving the country. If you lose the TAM, a duplicate can be issued by DIGEMIN, Peru's Immigration Office located in Breña or at the airport.

At customs hand in your filled out customs declaration form. Below find a listing of items you can temporarily bring duty-free into the country. Please note: if you are carrying more than US$ 10,000.- in cash when entering or leaving the country, you have to declare it. Carrying amounts over US$ 30,000.- is forbidden when entering or leaving Peru.

Check out as well two short videos about the procedures when arriving and departing from Lima International Airport.

What Items can you bring to Peru?

You can bring (temporary) the following items to Peru for personal use (no taxes or duties applied):

  • Clothes for personal use during your trip
  • Toiletry for personal use during your trip
  • Personal items and jewelry for personal use
  • Drugs (medication) for personal use only
  • Aids and appliances for personal medical control and mobilization (wheelchair, stretcher, crutches, blood pressure / glucose meter, thermometer, etc.)
  • Other articles for personal use or consumption or presents which don't exceed a total value of $300
  • Books, magazines, newspapers and documents for personal use
  • 1 electric hair dryer
  • 1 electric shaver
  • 1 set of sporting equipment for personal use
  • 1 musical instrument
  • 1 conventional or digital camera
  • 1 portable, non-preofesional film or video camera
  • 1 portable non-professional radio or portable, non-professional audio player recorder
  • 1 portable CD / DVD player
  • 1 portable video game advice
  • 10 rolls of film, 10 cassettes for portable video camera you carry with you
  • 2 memory cards for the digital camera, video camera or video game advice you carry with you
  • 1 external hard disc drive for PC and 2 USB sticks for personal use
  • 20 CDs or DVDs
  • 1 laptop
  • 1 digital organizer or 1 tablet PC
  • 1 cellphone
  • 20 packets of cigarettes or 50 cigars or 250 grams tobacco (for travelers older than 18 years)
  • 3l of alcoholic beverages (for travelers older than 18 years)
  • 1 domestic animal (check the veterinary regulations with the nearest Peruvian consulate and / or SENASA)
  • 1 portable typewriter and 1 calculator

Information as published by Peruvian Customs. All information is subject to change!

Important Info

Please note: LimaEasy has no affiliation with the Peruvian Government or any Peruvian Embassy / Consulate abroad. All information is published to our best knowledge and should only give you general guidelines of Peruvian procedures. As regulations, requirements and practices can change without prior notice, all information is subject to change! Therefore we recommend checking the current regulations before your trip to Peru with the nearest Peruvian Consulate or Embassy!

What vaccinations are obligatory and recommended?

If you are entering Peru from infected areas in Africa or the American continent, then a Yellow Fever vaccination is required to enter the country. Otherwise there are no obligatory vaccinations.

From the Health Ministry recommended vaccinations include:
  • Hepatitis A
  • Chickenpox
  • Hepatits B when you are visiting the provinces Amazonas, Loreto, San Martin, Ucayali, Junin and Madre de Dios
  • Yellow Fever when you are visiting the provinces Amazonas, Loreto, San Martin, Ucayali, Junin and Madre de Dios

Peruvian Visa - Comments & Questions:

For all comments on LimaEasy our General Posting Rules apply! These include that all post have to be in English!

Comments (204)

  • Guest (Friederike)

    Hi :-)

    I am really puzzled about whether I need a visa or not. I will be interning/ volunteering for eight weeks with an international organization that informs about and promotes different democratic procedures and methods to protect minorities and empower excluded groups of people in government.
    Is this volunteering, i.e. can I use a tourist visa or is it an internship for which a student visa is required? Also, were can I obtain official information on this?
    The internship is not required by my university.

  • Hello Friederike,
    sorry for getting back to you so late.
    You can get official information about Peruvian visa at any Peruvian consulate abroad. Personally I think the work you will be doing can easily be seen as volunteering (as long as you won't get paid!); so a tourist visa should be enough. Additionally in your special case and with the short time you are planning to stay in Peru, it will get difficult to apply for a student visa, as most consulate don't issue them anymore.

  • Guest (Behar)

    I am from Kosovo and do I need visa to go in Lima, Peru. If yes what are procedures to take a visa.

  • Kosovo passport holders have to apply for a visa at a Peruvian consulate before coming to Peru. You should be able to apply for your visa at the Peruvian consulate in Belgrade / Serbia. Check out our section on general visa requirements for tourist visa. Detailed info on visa requirements and procedures at the consulate you are planning to apply for your visa can only you give you the respective consulate.

  • Guest (Devi)

    I am a citizen of Sri lanka and is visiting Brazil soon. (Brazilian visa already secured) I am hoping to get my Peru visa in Rio, and please advice me if this is possible, since sending the passport to Delhi Peru embassy is not an option now due to lack of time. Thanks

  • According to the website of the Peruvian consulate in Rio you can apply for a tourist visa in Rio even though you aren't a resident of Brazil: "Ciudadanos extranjeros no residentes en el Brasil podrán solicitar visas de negocios o de turismo en el consulado, atendiendo a situaciones excepcionales. El otorgamiento de la visa requiere ser aprobado por la entidad competente en el Perú."
    You need: application form, passport valid at least for another 6 months, copy for your passport, copy of your Brazil visa, passport photo, return flight ticket, reservation of hotel or tour package, copy of an international credit card.
    For detailed info please get in contact with the Peruvian Consulate in Rio.

  • Guest (Greg)


    Do I need 2 free pages in the visa section of my British passport to apply for a business visa?


  • Even though in most countries 2 free pages in a passport are a general requirement when applying for a visa, on the website of the Peruvian consulate in the UK I can't find anything about it. They are just asking for a valid passport (machine readable / with bar code). As consulates in the one country might be stricter about exactly following the rules than in another one, best call the consulate and ask about their policies.

  • Guest (B)

    Hi there
    I am an indian citizen working in UAE . I have to visit peru as a tourist to see my peruvian girlfriend. So what will be the requirements for that. I will stay with her so i dont have any hotel booking too. Help me or any suggestions

  • The Peruvian Consulate in the UAE has quite a good website. Under "consular services" you find the requirements for applying for a tourist visa: Application form (print from the website), passport and copy of it, your UAE ID or proof of residency (in your case your work permit), 2 passport photos, round trip flight ticket, bank statement for the 3 previous months, personal interview, fee US$ 30.
    They don't mention a hotel reservation, so you shouldn't have a problem with staying at your girlfriends place when applying for your tourist visa.

Load More
Add comment