El Refugio (The Shelter) is a Peruvian-Swiss non-profit association that offers a home to babies and children who are neglected or at risk, and offers care to children and elderly adults living in extreme poverty. The children homes are designed following a family structure; they have a maximum of 12 children per home. They are under the care of a substitute mother and are supported by a team of women. Children may stay in the care of "El Refugio" until they turn 18, or even for a longer time, until they are able to support themselves.
The founders Doris Storz (Swiss) and Lucia Corzo (Peruvian) started this Association in the year 2000. "Our wish is to be able to help babies and children who are neglected or at risk, by offering them a real home, and giving them the necessary love and support, as we are based upon Biblical principles and values. We also aim to reach out to the families and communities of at risk children, as well as to care for the elderly".
El Refugio bakery
Birthday Party at El Refugio
Feeding the chicken in El Refugio
Lantern Festival at El Refugio
Treehouse at El Refugio
How can you Help El Refugio ?
- Donate food, strollers, mattresses, cribs, toys, furniture, diapers, clothing, shoes, lice treatment kits
- Purchase handmade products from El Refugio like beautiful cards and Christmas Cakes
- Sponsor one of their children (monthly contribution of US$ 50.-)
- Be a friend of El Refugio (monthly contribution of US$ 25.-)
- Donate money (account information can be found on their website)