The "Comunidad de Niños Sagrada Familia" was founded in 1989 by Miguel Rodriguez and is located in one of Lima's poorest districts, in Ventanilla. The community gives abandoned and neglected children exposed to drugs, violations, prostitution a caring and loving home. The kids receive not only food, but as well an overall education based on affection, responsibility, values and work. They are supported by a team of psychologist, social and care workers.
All the nearly 850 children go to school and do extra lessons and activities at the home. They help with chores, cooking and caring for the younger children. Important for the development of the children and the financing of the project are the productive workshops. Here the children develop their potentials and capacities and learn trades that are useful for them in the future.
Kids working out
Community Sacred Family
Newly built houses at the Community Sacred Family
Boys doing their homework
The home is located in a zone called "Zapallal" (pumpkin field), therefore the nickname of this great project is "Zapatillos" (little pimpkins)
The workshops include at the moment carpentry, ceramic, bakery, farming (as far as the natural resources allow) and serigraphy. Thanks to donations in the last years other workshops like sewing, English, computer and music could be realized. But there is much more to do and the sagrada familia has lots of ideas to improve the community further.
How you can help the Niños Sagrada Familia
- Volunteer: Everyone with a big heart and the wish to help is welcome at the Sacred Family. No matter if you want to stay for an hour or forever. Accommodation within the community in special guest houses is provided for free and food for a minimal fee. The community needs volunteers in a number of areas.
- Donate money for the construction of new modules and workshops or for the food.
- Be a godfather of one of the children
- Donate food, cloth, toys, stationary, school supplies...
- Purchase items from their various workshops
For more detailed information visit their websites in English or Spanish, call or visit them!