The original house on this property was built by Captain Villegas (governor of Callao) in 1752. In 1818 the building was bought by the Lobatón Laos family. Its current design dates back to the middle of the 19th century, when General César Canevaro, a war hero of the Chilean War (1879 – 1883) rebuilt the house in a typical Republican style with pure and refined lines and beautiful wooden balconies.
Closer look at one of the wooden blaconies of Casa Canevaro in Lima
View through the amazing wrought-iron gate to the patio inside Casa Canevaro
Marble staircase inside Casa Canevaro
Statue in the patio of Casa Canevaro
Beautifully crafted ceiling lamp at Casa Canevaro
Today the Casa Canevaro belongs to the School of Fine Arts (Escuela de las Bellas Artes) and houses the Pre-Bellas Artes Center and various workshops.