The Congress Palace is bordered by two squares: the Plaza Bolivar in front and the Plaza Victoria in the back. When Peru became independent in 1821 there was no space for a legislative in Lima, because in Colonial times it wasn't needed. Therefore a decree from June 1822 determined the University of San Marcos with all its premises, back then located at today's Plaza Bolivar, as seat for the Congress until a new building was erected.
Exterior view of the Placio del Congreso de la República del Perú (Peruvian Congress)
In front of the Congress Palace is Plaza Bolivar. The statue shows the libertador Simon Bolivar on his horse.
At the back of the Congress Palace you find the entrance gate for guided tours through thïs important and history charged building.
The Peruvian Parliament
Old photograph of the Palacio del Congreso in Lima
According to plans of the French architect Emilio Robert, the construction works for the Palacio del Congreso started in 1904 on the former grounds of the chapel of the University Mayor San Marcos. The Palacio was officially inaugurated in 1908 even if the works only finished in 1919. The chamber of the senate under the direction of the engineer Ricardo de Jaxa, was completed much later in 1938. The Congress Palace is open to the public. Take a guided tour (Spanish and English) through this important building of Peruvian history, feel the atmosphere, learn more about the history, organization, function and importance of the parliament for the Peruvian democratic system. It's worth it.